BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-23-2008, 09:10 PM   #23
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

raggtopp

i like the way the wind blows thru the hair
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 09:25 PM   #24
OzF16
BMF
Rep
Drives:

I don't have mine yet, but I think that the only thing that would be more fun than driving a 135 is driving a 135 with the top down! I was going to get the vert and then changed my mind. The only reason being that we already have a convertible, and I thought that having two (our only two cars) would be impractical.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 09:30 PM   #25
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

If I lived in Cali, Ari, Flo, Tex, I might get the rag. But I don't, so no rag for me.

OH good, no rag. Peace and quiet.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 09:32 PM   #26
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

See my Sig. :headbang:

My 135i Vert came out of production today, Muahahaha!

Ask yourself a few questions....

1.) Do you live in a warm climate that can use a Vert top? I live in Houston, so yes. If you live in Nebraska...well.

2.) Do you have to take long frequent trips in the car? Long meaning > 3hour trips for business etc. If so you might be more comfortable in the Coupe.

3.) What is your budget? The Vert is more expensive, about 4k, but a full 10k less then the 335i Vert.

4.) Someone above said that the Vert does not get the same suspension setup and/or brakes of the 135i coupe. Complete and utter BS. Watch the BMW video with the Vert designer and he states flat out that the Vert gets the *same* suspension setup as the 135i sport. All you have to do is look at the 135i Vert pictures or read the specs of the car to see they have the *same* brakes as the coupe. The Vert's chassis was strengthened to have almost the same rigidity of the Coupe. This is BMW.

5.) Looks? 100% subjective, but I personally think the 135i Coupe is better looking Top up Vs Top up, but the Vert easily jumps ahead to pure sexy with the top down. And yes, I have seen them both up close and compared.

<I actually went Jet Black with Moonlit Black top to minimize the contrast in color>

6.) Do you plan to track? Although there are a very rare few that ever do track, you could be one of them. If you do, get the Coupe.

7.) Do you have a girl in your life? 95% of women love Verts. If you are single, I can guarantee you that it will be a chick magnet

8.) Headroom. A HUGE one for me. I am 6'3" with all of my height from the waist up. A nightmare for having enough headroom in sports cars. While the Coupe does a decent job, I still have to get the seat "Just right". It can be done though. The Vert? Heh, obviously with the top down it is a non issue, but what shocked me has just HOW much more headroom the Vert has then the Coupe with the top up! I'm talking MASSIVE difference. I sat in the Coupe then sat in the Vert, did it several times and there is just no contest. With the top up the Vert has *MUCH* more headroom. Might be the sunroof in the Coupe? Dunno, don't care.

It really is a huge choice, because if there is one thing you really can't change, it's whether or not you can hit that magic button and 22 seconds later be in complete harmony with everything around you. I use to ride motorcycles, but people just became to freaking dangerous on the road so I had to give it up when I had kids. Verts give me close to the same "Wind in my hair" feeling I use to have on bikes....but the added safety every dad needs.

Good luck, you can't go wrong either way.
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 11:23 PM   #27
The Chad
Private
Rep
Drives: Honda S2000

After having owned a soft-top convertible for almost 5 years, I won't buy another fabric roof car. Now a metal roof, like on the 3 Series, I'd consider. In fact, the hard top convertible is great b/c it's basically a coupe that if the mood strikes you, is a convertible.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 12:01 AM   #28
drand
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40

It rains most of the year here, so a convertible would be torture for me. I just couldn't handle having it and not be able to use it other than during a few weeks in the summer.
      04-24-2008, 03:52 AM   #29
onastov
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

If you live in sun drenched Southern California, love the beach and zipping along Pacific Coast Highway ... it would be a sin not to have a vert.
      04-24-2008, 04:36 AM   #30
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
See my Sig. :headbang:

My 135i Vert came out of production today, Muahahaha!

Ask yourself a few questions....

1.) Do you live in a warm climate that can use a Vert top? I live in Houston, so yes. If you live in Nebraska...well.

2.) Do you have to take long frequent trips in the car? Long meaning > 3hour trips for business etc. If so you might be more comfortable in the Coupe.

3.) What is your budget? The Vert is more expensive, about 4k, but a full 10k less then the 335i Vert.

4.) Someone above said that the Vert does not get the same suspension setup and/or brakes of the 135i coupe. Complete and utter BS. Watch the BMW video with the Vert designer and he states flat out that the Vert gets the *same* suspension setup as the 135i sport. All you have to do is look at the 135i Vert pictures or read the specs of the car to see they have the *same* brakes as the coupe. The Vert's chassis was strengthened to have almost the same rigidity of the Coupe. This is BMW.

5.) Looks? 100% subjective, but I personally think the 135i Coupe is better looking Top up Vs Top up, but the Vert easily jumps ahead to pure sexy with the top down. And yes, I have seen them both up close and compared.

<I actually went Jet Black with Moonlit Black top to minimize the contrast in color>

6.) Do you plan to track? Although there are a very rare few that ever do track, you could be one of them. If you do, get the Coupe.

7.) Do you have a girl in your life? 95% of women love Verts. If you are single, I can guarantee you that it will be a chick magnet

8.) Headroom. A HUGE one for me. I am 6'3" with all of my height from the waist up. A nightmare for having enough headroom in sports cars. While the Coupe does a decent job, I still have to get the seat "Just right". It can be done though. The Vert? Heh, obviously with the top down it is a non issue, but what shocked me has just HOW much more headroom the Vert has then the Coupe with the top up! I'm talking MASSIVE difference. I sat in the Coupe then sat in the Vert, did it several times and there is just no contest. With the top up the Vert has *MUCH* more headroom. Might be the sunroof in the Coupe? Dunno, don't care.

It really is a huge choice, because if there is one thing you really can't change, it's whether or not you can hit that magic button and 22 seconds later be in complete harmony with everything around you. I use to ride motorcycles, but people just became to freaking dangerous on the road so I had to give it up when I had kids. Verts give me close to the same "Wind in my hair" feeling I use to have on bikes....but the added safety every dad needs.

Good luck, you can't go wrong either way.
And I second that..Well said Katera.:w00t:
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 10:07 AM   #31
JohnnyTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.5

CONVERTIBLE for me!!

I just love the feeling of driving with the top down. Espcecially at night. Awesome sensation.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 10:14 AM   #32
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
Rep
Drives:

If it was my DD coupe, if it were my 2nd car vert.

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 10:20 AM   #33
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

COUPE!

I dunno why, but the vert looks like an old vintage bathtub with wheels, I love the coupe though...

Flame away...

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 10:24 AM   #34
thesmokingone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudw View Post
I prefer the look of the coupe, and it's better all year around.

But I disagree that convertibles are showoffish [sic]. I can't get over how obsessed people are with image and "what other people have" vs. "what I have". Very adolescentish...
I do care about the image given off by my car, I'm like that but if that is adolescentish it is probably because I'm 23ish:thumbup:

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 12:19 PM   #35
jdouville
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Vert for me!

I had a Miata for years and enjoyed riding top-down as much as I could. I also ride motorcycles...something about the open-air feeling on a performance ride that gets the blood flowing and a smile on your face.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 01:13 PM   #36
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmtoes View Post
Never said you couldn't. I just wouldn't.
You should. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 01:14 PM   #37
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Id never buy a cabrio.Not even a ferrari. IMO the only convertible that looks good is the Mercedes SL(Id drive with the roof closed all the time). All the other ones look worst than their coupe counterpart.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 01:25 PM   #38
thesmokingone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
Id never buy a cabrio.Not even a ferrari. IMO the only convertible that looks good is the Mercedes SL(Id drive with the roof closed all the time)
yea its just kind of hard to look tough with the top down....Now if you have a pretty lady with you maybe

Appreciate 0