BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-19-2008, 02:19 PM   #1
baduncadonk
Former 2002tii Owner
Rep
Drives:

Problem with BMW Performance Exhaust -- Advice, please!

I took Riss Racing catted DPs and BMW Performance Exhaust to my tuner yesterday and got a call back from him that the Performance Exhaust is not bolt on--tuner says it is not long enough and he is going to need to cut a piece from my stock exhaust and weld it to the performance exhaust.

Can someone who has the Performance Exhaust let me know whether they experienced this problem?

Also, did your Performance Exhaust come with two pieces--a shorter length of 3" tubing + resonator on longer piece of tubing?

Thanks in advance for any insights!

RIP: '08 BMW 135i -- Vishnu, Riss intake, H&R sways, KW Variant 2 coilovers, Sprintbooster, Riss Racing catted downpipes, BMW Performance exhaust, tii wheels, cross-drilled rotors, M door sills, 8500K Angel Eyes, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Check out this thread as this is what mine came with:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9520

btw .. some install pics here:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...?t=9520&page=3

I do know that the stock exhaust is CUT so the resonator is removed (I think that is what it is). You cut the stock exhaust to fit the performance exhaust but there is no welding ..

Hope this helps !

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
natedog_1959
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 SVT Focus

Sounds like your installer cut the stock exhaust too short and is trying to piece things back together. Nate
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
ML
Change for a Nickle?
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3, Mazda truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog_1959 View Post
Sounds like your installer cut the stock exhaust too short and is trying to piece things back together. Nate
+1

Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 05:25 PM   #5
crash
Private
Rep
Drives:

the BMW performance exhaust is NOT a bolt on part. The midpipe section needs to be cut retaining what I believe is referred to as the secondary cats. The new exhaust can be welded or put on using a tight coupler. The coupler is the usual method to slip fit the two pieces together.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 06:29 PM   #6
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

Even if he cut it too short, it's an easy fix.... if he's a competent fabricator.

The tube is kind of hard to come by though. I a few pieces of scrap stainless metric tube here (same size as the OEM BMW exhaust pipes). If you're local, swing by and I'll donate some to your cause.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 08:38 AM   #7
TT1351
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135, GTS, E30 M3+

The Performance system consists of two parts for the exhaust (the muffler and a Y shaped tube which eliminates the resonator), plus 2 very special clamps and comes with a new gasket for joining muffler to either the Y shaped piece or if you chose to leave the resonator in place.

There is absolutely no welding required, however if you choose to remove the resonator and utilize the Y pipe you will need to cut. What I did was held up the Y piece to the part that needs to be cut to establish how much to cut. I did this a few times to make sure. The clamps supplied with the exhaust allows you to join the new y piece to the exisiting exhaust.

Sounds like someone effed up and I'd be pissed. If you get a chance once you get the car back, would like to know your impression of the catted DP's.

Thanks,
Fran
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 01:28 PM   #8
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

I didn't know Berk is Irvine...
      08-20-2008, 02:20 PM   #9
baduncadonk
Former 2002tii Owner
Rep
Drives:

Thanks to everyone who replied; the photos and advice made for quick solution!

In case anyone else runs into confusion with their install, my initial problem turned out to be that I didn't receive the full part set when I ordered the BMW Performance Exhaust from Leith BMW.

So, instead of joining middle pipes with the missing clamps, the tuner is welding that connection.

RIP: '08 BMW 135i -- Vishnu, Riss intake, H&R sways, KW Variant 2 coilovers, Sprintbooster, Riss Racing catted downpipes, BMW Performance exhaust, tii wheels, cross-drilled rotors, M door sills, 8500K Angel Eyes, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #10
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baduncadonk View Post
Thanks to everyone who replied; the photos and advice made for quick solution!

In case anyone else runs into confusion with their install, my initial problem turned out to be that I didn't receive the full part set when I ordered the BMW Performance Exhaust from Leith BMW.

So, instead of joining middle pipes with the missing clamps, the tuner is welding that connection.

Glad you got taken care of :thumbup:

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 02:24 PM   #11
baduncadonk
Former 2002tii Owner
Rep
Drives:

Special thanks for the links and photos you passed, Crowley!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Glad you got taken care of :thumbup:

Crowley

Appreciate 0