BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-17-2008, 09:57 AM   #23
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

If the past and current versions of the N54 HPFP show marginal reliability, and that appears to be the case, I for one would not be installing a tune that makes a bunch more power, thereby requires more fuel and stresses the HPFP more. Makes sense to me to wait for a better/fixed HPFP.
      08-17-2008, 10:11 AM   #24
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
If the past and current versions of the N54 HPFP show marginal reliability, and that appears to be the case, I for one would not be installing a tune that makes a bunch more power, thereby requires more fuel and stresses the HPFP more. Makes sense to me to wait for a better/fixed HPFP.

Get a new after market HPFP 1st and then get the ECU tune:biggrin: Adding more stress to a fuel pump that is having trouble supplying stock fuel pressure/flow doesn't sound too good. I think with more fuel we can probably get more power as well..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 10:53 AM   #25
S54dan
I no longer work for United BMW!
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E46 330i ZHP, E36 325i

Garage List
1994 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2005 M3  [9.66]
2005 325i  [8.00]
2003 330i ZHP  [9.00]
BMW recalled all their HPFP and stocked warehouses with 2nd (or 3rd) gen pumps. PUMA is now involved in replacement of a HPFP. This was the same issue with the 2002-2003 7 Series transmissions. However, here is the bottom line. BMW will replace any HPFP for a customer. However, when a aftermarket tune is involved which will definitely shorten the life of the HPFP, they will not warranty that part, especially with Dinan.

What you all have to realize is BMW had a rough history with Dinan's warranty process over the years. Dinan had interesting solutions to faulty parts, causing low CSI scores throughout many dealerships.

While Dinan has good product (I have Dinan parts as well), the fact remains that Dinan and BMW are no longer partnered, and will remain that way due to BMW's Performance line and Dinan's history of warranty claim. If you have any Dinan part that will push the vehicle over it's stock limit causing a BMW part to fail, that part will be voided of warranty.
      08-17-2008, 12:11 PM   #26
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@UnitedBMW View Post
BMW recalled all their HPFP and stocked warehouses with 2nd (or 3rd) gen pumps. PUMA is now involved in replacement of a HPFP. This was the same issue with the 2002-2003 7 Series transmissions. However, here is the bottom line. BMW will replace any HPFP for a customer. However, when a aftermarket tune is involved which will definitely shorten the life of the HPFP, they will not warranty that part, especially with Dinan.

What you all have to realize is BMW had a rough history with Dinan's warranty process over the years. Dinan had interesting solutions to faulty parts, causing low CSI scores throughout many dealerships.

While Dinan has good product (I have Dinan parts as well), the fact remains that Dinan and BMW are no longer partnered, and will remain that way due to BMW's Performance line and Dinan's history of warranty claim. If you have any Dinan part that will push the vehicle over it's stock limit causing a BMW part to fail, that part will be voided of warranty.

I remember the 4000 RPM dip on my E46 330 ZHP that BMW was never able to fix and tried everything to blame the dip on other mods while all 330 ZHP's that were put on a DYNO had this same dip while being stock.

There are many cases of unmodified cars with Fuel Pump issues so to blame the issue on a tune when we all know the fuel pumps are failing without the car even being tuned tell us that BMW has some fuel pump issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 12:23 PM   #27
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Get a new after market HPFP 1st and then get the ECU tune:biggrin:
I don't think you understand how the N54's fuel system works. There are two fuel pumps, a standard electric in-tank fuel pump and a mechanical high pressure fuel pump mounted on the engine. Nobody makes aftermarket high pressure fuel pumps.

Read this thread:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 01:15 PM   #28
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
I don't think you understand how the N54's fuel system works. There are two fuel pumps, a standard electric in-tank fuel pump and a mechanical high pressure fuel pump mounted on the engine. Nobody makes aftermarket high pressure fuel pumps.

Read this thread:

Thanks for the link:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 01:25 PM   #29
S54dan
I no longer work for United BMW!
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E46 330i ZHP, E36 325i

Garage List
1994 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2005 M3  [9.66]
2005 325i  [8.00]
2003 330i ZHP  [9.00]
Quote:
I remember the 4000 RPM dip on my E46 330 ZHP that BMW was never able to fix and tried everything to blame the dip on other mods while all 330 ZHP's that were put on a DYNO had this same dip while being stock.

There are many cases of unmodified cars with Fuel Pump issues so to blame the issue on a tune when we all know the fuel pumps are failing without the car even being tuned tell us that BMW has some fuel pump issues.
The HPFP is a known problem, but putting a tune shortens the life of it period. So BMW will not warranty the part with a tune installed.
      08-17-2008, 02:34 PM   #30
SixBanger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:

I remember that on my 4 door zhp. OMG it took 2 weeks for them to fix the issue , but they were able to fix it. When I dropped it off at first the tech said it threw sooo many codes. Sent a puma case and from there I dont know what happened. I drove an x3 for 2 weeks and hated that gas guzzler.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 11:01 PM   #31
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixbanger View Post
I remember that on my 4 door zhp. OMG it took 2 weeks for them to fix the issue , but they were able to fix it. When I dropped it off at first the tech said it threw sooo many codes. Sent a puma case and from there I dont know what happened. I drove an x3 for 2 weeks and hated that gas guzzler.
If your car was stock then you were not able to feel it that much. But if you had a Supercharger on the car then there was a huge dip. They did smoothen it out but very little. Last I knew they were unable to fix the problem and the only real way to know is to put the car on the DYNO and look for the DIP at 4000 RPM's..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 06:22 PM   #32
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post

Read this thread:

That's not 100% correct. APR sells upgraded aftermarket direct injection fuel pumps for VAG's. If the market is there it can be done.

Here's one example:
http://goapr.com/Audi/products/fsi_fuel_pump.html

http://goapr.com/Audi/products/turbo_trans20t_k04.html#
      08-18-2008, 08:57 PM   #33
All4One
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135icp

Maybe what the dragon said is - there are still no aftermarket HPFP that can comparatively be more of an olympian (better,stronger,faster and higher) than what we have in N54's. Example- can withstand up to or higher than 200 bar. If my reading is correct, the APR is telling us 130 bar but your qualifier that if there is a market ,it can be done , well i guess we will have to top NASA Ames (remember those seals/o-rings that did not function on one of the shuttle's)
      08-18-2008, 11:10 PM   #34
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
If Dinan is trying to fix it through software then they are most likely trying to fix it by getting the fuel pump to not work as hard by perhaps cutting back on fuel or fuel flow. I think it would be better to just get a new after market HPFP
They will be removing/manipulating the controls that BMW has put in place. I rather have this pump die once and for good than slowly. I have the same problem as the OP.

The other problem I know about know is a cavitation and vaporization problem on the low pressure fuel pump side when the tank is low.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #35
Johnnyr135
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

So I get a call from the SA at Greenwich BMW yesterday and asks me if I have a Sprintbooster on my car. I told him no that I did but I took it off to make sure it had nothing to do with my fuel pump issue. He said good because DINAN checks the forums and saw that I had a Sprintbooster on my car and wanted to make sure I took it off. It was not a big deal, but it shows that they check everything when they are fixing a car.
      08-19-2008, 01:21 PM   #36
davemohan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@UnitedBMW View Post
PUMA is now involved in replacement of a HPFP.
OK, I did a search and all I found were similar references to PUMA with no explanation. (Not saying it isn't out there, but I didn't find it.) So, to display my abysmal ignorance, what exactly is PUMA?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 06:03 PM   #37
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyr View Post
So I get a call from the SA at Greenwich BMW yesterday and asks me if I have a Sprintbooster on my car. I told him no that I did but I took it off to make sure it had nothing to do with my fuel pump issue. He said good because DINAN checks the forums and saw that I had a Sprintbooster on my car and wanted to make sure I took it off. It was not a big deal, but it shows that they check everything when they are fixing a car.
You're lucky Dinan doesn't void their warranty on your car. It says in plain english on their website that you're not supposed to combine their sauce with any other add-ons.
      08-20-2008, 05:49 PM   #38
Johnnyr135
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

DINAN screwed me, most of you have read about my problems with DINAN and my fuel pump. Well as of today DINAN decided to not fix my car and to just give me a refund, not only did they not honor the warranty that I paid $2600 for but they only refunded me $2,257. So I am out $200 to have my car flashed back to stock from my home dealer and I am out $343 for the installation of my DINAN software. I think this is ridiculous, I paid the extra money for DINAN so that I had a warranty on my car but when I have a claim they decide that they will not honor there warranty and just refund the product and not even the whole amount. So basically they are a bunch of crooks and DINAN is a huge waste of money. BMW does not want any part of DINAN so they will not help DINAN at all, and if BMW will not fix the problem DINAN throws in the towel and says here is part of your money you are on your own. So anyone interested in DINAN software save your money and and buy something else or keep your car stock. They may have been a good company at one time but BMW hates them now, I have been to 3 different dealers 11 times for my car to be fixed and at the end of the day DINAN screwed me so learn from my mistake and go somewhere else. DINAN SUCKS!
      08-20-2008, 07:47 PM   #39
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
DINAN screwed me, most of you have read about my problems with DINAN and my fuel pump. Well as of today DINAN decided to not fix my car and to just give me a refund, not only did they not honor the warranty that I paid $2600 for but they only refunded me $2,257. So I am out $200 to have my car flashed back to stock from my home dealer and I am out $343 for the installation of my DINAN software. I think this is ridiculous, I paid the extra money for DINAN so that I had a warranty on my car but when I have a claim they decide that they will not honor there warranty and just refund the product and not even the whole amount. So basically they are a bunch of crooks and DINAN is a huge waste of money. BMW does not want any part of DINAN so they will not help DINAN at all, and if BMW will not fix the problem DINAN throws in the towel and says here is part of your money you are on your own. So anyone interested in DINAN software save your money and and buy something else or keep your car stock. They may have been a good company at one time but BMW hates them now, I have been to 3 different dealers 11 times for my car to be fixed and at the end of the day DINAN screwed me so learn from my mistake and go somewhere else. DINAN SUCKS!
Thanks for the info. This makes me want to dump the car today, as good as it is. I bought it with the expectation that I could run dinan software and have a full package car still under warranty. I'm not willing to test my luck with any other aftermarket software because the car's value would drop like a rock if it came to light. Considering I just bought the car.. I'm screwed financially so I guess I'll drive it for a year or so, then sell and get a cheaper out-of-warranty car to modify to my heart's content.
      08-20-2008, 07:59 PM   #40
All4One
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135icp

So the game of Ping-pong has begun!!! I have a hyphothetical question. If the HPFP are not good right now, what happens when the 4 year warranty has lapsed? HPFP will cost at least $1600 i believe.
      08-20-2008, 11:09 PM   #41
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
That's disappointing to hear about DINAN. It seemed like the whole reason for buying from them and paying their prices was the ability to keep some warranty coverage for their parts. And they won't even refund the cost of installation? Very weak.

But there are still quite a few other tuning vendors out there, and it's not like the 135i isn't a fine platform stock, so don't lose heart!
Appreciate 0