BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-18-2008, 05:25 PM   #1
davemohan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Dinan Software Now Available for 135,335 & 535s with MSD81 Controllers

Just thought I would pass this on. Unfortunately my car won't be available to pick up at the dealer until next Monday, but after a quick break in...

New Product Announcement

Dinan Performance Software Now Available!
BMW 135i, 335i/xi & 535i/xi

With MSD81 Controllers (3/08 and Later Production)

The wait is finally over!
Stages 1 and 2 Performance Engine Software are now available for later production (3/08 and later) 135, 335 and 535 models employing the MSD81 Controller!

Unlike the previous generation MSD80 Controllers, the ECUs will need to be shipped to Dinan’s facility in Morgan Hill, California for installation of the software as it cannot be accomplished via the MIPP device.

For 335i/xi models, Stage 3 Software is not yet available for the MSD81 Controllers but will be very shortly. The intercooler can be used with Stage 2 Software in the interim, upgrading to Stage 3 when it becomes available in the next few weeks. The intercooler will offer all of the same advantages, including a modest horsepower gain and improved turbocharger efficiencies, until the Stage 3 Software is available for the additional boost and full power gains.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 10:41 PM   #2
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

It's been available over a month and has been discussed already :iono:
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 11:54 PM   #3
silverfox
Alpine White M Performance
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer_tx View Post
Not exactly, Dinan released it prematurely. I bought a new 335xi two weeks ago and wanted the Dinan Tune installed however the flash still needed some final monitoring before they were willing to release it.

Ob.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
davemohan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer_tx View Post
My post above was from an email received yesterday from Dinan. For the last 4 -5 weeks the Dinan site has said it will be available "when released" and to contact them before ordering. (Which I did.) This qualifier is no longer in the description, and the email notices went out yesterday to those who had asked for them.

Just trying to be helpful, and I doubt that this "final" release has already been discussed as it happened yesterday. Always helps to have current and accurate information before flaming. :iono: ("Hates Trolls" seems like an odd user title?)
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 09:24 AM   #5
redwood
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1999 BMW 328i

Thanks for the info! Good news for many, I'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 11:46 AM   #6
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

"the ECUs will need to be shipped to Dinan’s facility" ...Welcome to 1999.

Pass. I will stick with JB3!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 12:42 PM   #7
davemohan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
"the ECUs will need to be shipped to Dinan’s facility" ...Welcome to 1999.
Yeah, that kind of stinks, but then you do get a warranty without having to remove a bunch of stuff and pray the service guys don't notice. When I spoke with Dinan I was told that they can do same day turn-around, so if you use overnight for a.m. delivery you can send it Monday and get it back on Wednesday. In theory anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 06:31 PM   #8
HPADDICT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Unfortunately the whole warranty is a crock of shit as experienced by another forum member already. See Johnnyrs posts!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 07:50 PM   #9
sf42ninetysixx
Private
Rep
Drives:

See this thread. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14606

They'll never see a penny from me.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 09:36 PM   #10
Smudgepot
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 135I

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf42ninetysixx View Post
See this thread. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14606

They'll never see a penny from me.
DITTO
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 09:53 PM   #11
135ITT
Private
Rep
Drives: SGM08

Dinan matches the new car warranty coverage for up to 4 years or 50,000 miles, including the possibility of consequential damages. my ass. bunch liars.
      08-20-2008, 10:25 PM   #12
SixBanger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

I can see this thread being locked soon.
Myles
PS Dinan screwed that kid and I hate it when big companys take advantage of young people. This is total BS
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 10:44 PM   #13
Fishsriz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

so does JB3 void your warranty?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 10:39 AM   #14
davemohan
United_States
Rep

Thought I was being helpful, but now I'm not so sure. Looks pretty bad for Dinan, but there are at least 2 sides to every story. While I do sympathize with Johnnyr, he has stated that there were other mods on the car.

For the sake of argument, the Sprintbooster could come into play. It remaps the throttle response which COULD (not saying it does, this is just for the sake of argument) overload the fuel pump, which MAY have not been designed to build pressure quite so quickly. You MAY have increased demand through additional flow from the Dinan tune AND faster response from the Sprintbooster.

From personal experience, I modified a car for track use in the early 90's (not BMW) and had a similar problem. Added a boost controller, no problem. Bigger turbo, still fine. Larger injectors and the whole thing crapped out until I put in a higher capacity fuel pump.

Point is, Dinan (claims to) warranty their work, but not that of other suppliers. When you use unwarrantied parts and tunes, you are taking on a risk and you need to face that. In the case I just described, I killed the warranty with the first mod. I knew that and took the responsibility. The idea that you can perform an unwarrantied mod, blow something up, then try to remove it and pretend nothing happened is beyond unethical. It is illegal, as in fraud, and prosecutable.

That said, I am NOT siding with Dinan, and I wish Johnnyr the best. I'm not accusing him of anything.

(I'm expecting to get flamed on this, but I can take it.)
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 01:16 PM   #15
GemBm
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, Spt Pkg,Nav,PDC,IPOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemohan View Post
Thought I was being helpful, but now I'm not so sure. Looks pretty bad for Dinan, but there are at least 2 sides to every story. While I do sympathize with Johnnyr, he has stated that there were other mods on the car.

For the sake of argument, the Sprintbooster could come into play. It remaps the throttle response which COULD (not saying it does, this is just for the sake of argument) overload the fuel pump, which MAY have not been designed to build pressure quite so quickly. You MAY have increased demand through additional flow from the Dinan tune AND faster response from the Sprintbooster.

From personal experience, I modified a car for track use in the early 90's (not BMW) and had a similar problem. Added a boost controller, no problem. Bigger turbo, still fine. Larger injectors and the whole thing crapped out until I put in a higher capacity fuel pump.

Point is, Dinan (claims to) warranty their work, but not that of other suppliers. When you use unwarrantied parts and tunes, you are taking on a risk and you need to face that. In the case I just described, I killed the warranty with the first mod. I knew that and took the responsibility. The idea that you can perform an unwarrantied mod, blow something up, then try to remove it and pretend nothing happened is beyond unethical. It is illegal, as in fraud, and prosecutable.

That said, I am NOT siding with Dinan, and I wish Johnnyr the best. I'm not accusing him of anything.

(I'm expecting to get flamed on this, but I can take it.)
+ 1 I agree with you 100%. I'm not siding with Dinan but it seems like people on this site want to mod their cars but don't want to take any responsibility for it. Yeah let me mod it and when it breaks take it off (mod) and run back to BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 02:42 PM   #16
gargoyal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPADDICT View Post
Unfortunately the whole warranty is a crock of shit as experienced by another forum member already. See Johnnyrs posts!

I’m missing how Jonnyr got screwed . All Diagnostics said the pump was not bad (working within expectable parameters). The dealer was not able to recreate the problem with the DINAN or stock software. He wanted them to replace a part that was not broken. That is inconsistent with dinan’s warranty

Dinan was obligated to fix the tune or give him a refund . They gave him the refund. They met their obligation. Not what he wanted, but not screwed.
http://www.dinancars.com/bmw/warranty

Don’t get me wrong he got left holding the bag. Most likely his pump is within operational parameters, but working below the level of the tune requires. (not broken but not good enough). If this is the case replacing the fuel pump may or may not work. The tune is pushing it too hard. It is a tune problem not a fuel pump problem.

People real need to understand warranties and their responsibilities before they mod their cars. This way they will not have unrealistic expectations. The DINAN warranty does give you extra coverage, but it does not cover everything. Is it worth the extra cash ? It depends on what you expect . Jonnyr is out a couple of hundred bucks and his time . All the diagnostic time was picked up by DIANA and the dealer . With any other tunes it would have been on his dime (a lot more money). The warranty did give him something.

Note: I will most likely NOT get a DINAN tune because I want to add other performance parts. The extra parts would make the DINAN warranty questionable , So I will take all of the risk (I take the time to read and educate myself so I don’t have unreasonable expectations).
      08-21-2008, 03:24 PM   #17
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I'm agreeing with everyone in this thread.

What this all tells me is that you just have to realize that on top of the likelihood of Dinan and BMW pointing fingers at each other, you will not be able to further mod your car, without both BMW and Dinan saying Auf Wiedersehn to you. It's too easy to point at a third party that never once said they'd cover a thing for you.

I dunno if that's worth +$2k only for a tune.
Appreciate 0