BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-24-2008, 08:29 AM   #23
imported_NuovoTech
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

This is a quote from an European website that may explain some of the confusion on this issue:

Speed-related steering assistance
All models of the BMW 1 Series Coupé, except the 135i, have electric power steering (EPS) with integrated Servotronic for speed-related steering assistance. As a result, EPS offers even greater steering precision at high speeds and enhanced steering comfort at low speeds.

New steering system reduces fuel consumption
A further important point is that the new steering system reduces fuel consumption by using an electric motor – and not a conventional mechanical/hydraulic system – to boost the car’s steering, with the electric motor operating only when the driver is actually turning the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 09:13 AM   #24
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

WRONG - the 128i Coupe has hydraulic steering. See this picture of the 128i engine compartment from MotiveMag, what do you suppose that object is in the upper right corner?:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 10:10 AM   #25
imported_NuovoTech
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
the 128i Coupe has hydraulic steering...
I agree, IMO the confusion here is how the hydraulic steering is powered. The above quotes suggest that on the 135i the hydraulic boost is powered mechanically & on the 128i hydraulic boost is powered by an electric motor. IE this is similar to having a water pump either powered mechanically or via an electric motor.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 10:21 AM   #26
crex
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i, Jeep wrangler

I went and drove the 128i and the steering doesn't feel the same as the 135 or 3 series..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 11:21 AM   #27
imported_NuovoTech
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I went and drove the 128i and the steering doesn't feel the same as the 135 or 3 series.
Was the difference a major negative? A few reviewers have also mentioned this, ie below is a quote from AutoZine.org.

"What a pity the (128i) is ruined by a numb steering feel, because it employs electrical steering assistance in the name of energy saving. In contrast, 135i is the only model in the 1-Series family to enjoy the natural feeling of hydraulic power steering."
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 11:34 AM   #28
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuovoTech View Post
I agree, IMO the confusion here is how the hydraulic steering is powered. The above quotes suggest that on the 135i the hydraulic boost is powered mechanically & on the 128i hydraulic boost is powered by an electric motor. IE this is similar to having a water pump either powered mechanically or via an electric motor.
electric power steering systems do not use a hydraulic pump

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Power_Steering
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #29
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

NuovoTech - AutoZine is wrong! Dam it!! Go out and look under the hood of a dealer's 128i, they have demos. Drive the thing and find out for yourself. But [mod hat on] QUIT posting the electric steering nonsense [mod hat off].
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 11:39 AM   #30
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Unless they've changed it from the Z4 system (2003~present), the electric assist is purely electric - no hydraulics involved.

While agreeing with you that BMW has been confusing on this issue, why would an electric motor driven system need the additional complexity of a hydraulic pump, reservoir, lines, etc.?

Although I didn't initially care for the feel of my Z4's electricly boosted steering, I quickly got used to it. The downside was a "stickiness" problem reported by some owners - primarily related to hot ambient temperatures and taken care of under warranty by BMW.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #31
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep

i hope that settles that issue. the 128 has hydraulic steering.

but if i may, i would like to understand the difference in feel of a car with electric power steering as it will likely become the norm. what is the 'stickiness' you described? even when you got a feel for it, did it always seem numb?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #32
j8smith
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i coupe

Quote:
Was the difference a major negative? A few reviewers have also mentioned this, ie below is a quote from AutoZine.org.

"What a pity the (128i) is ruined by a numb steering feel, because it employs electrical steering assistance in the name of energy saving. In contrast, 135i is the only model in the 1-Series family to enjoy the natural feeling of hydraulic power steering."
Most of the confusion was caused by the auto mags driving the Euro 125i in spain, then writing early reviews for the 128i based on this. The problem is the 125i is available with EPS, while our 128i is hydraulic.
      04-24-2008, 12:07 PM   #33
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthetect View Post
i hope that settles that issue. the 128 has hydraulic steering.

but if i may, i would like to understand the difference in feel of a car with electric power steering as it will likely become the norm. what is the 'stickiness' you described? even when you got a feel for it, did it always seem numb?
Luckily, I never experienced the "stickiness" issue (which apparently involved variations in the amount of force necessary to turn the wheel), but there is a very long thread on Roadfly that may shed some light on it:

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e85/5246978-1.html

Personally, I liked the Z4's steering as the handling was excellent and the car was loads of fun to drive in the mountains. It's just that the feedback through the wheel did not seem as immediate as it could have been. While a number of journalists have criticized this somewhat "numb" feel, it never got in the way of my enjoyment of the car. However, given the choice, I'd still prefer a hydraulic system.
I realize that I'm not being as clear as I'd like, but frankly it wasn't a major issue with the Z.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 12:09 PM   #34
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep

^ no, thank you that was perfect. (i grew up skateboarding in silver spring, cheers)
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 12:44 PM   #35
imported_NuovoTech
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Most of the confusion was caused by the auto mags driving the Euro 125i in spain, then writing early reviews for the 128i based on this. The problem is the 125i is available with EPS, while our 128i is hydraulic.
Thanx for clearing that up! :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 01:03 PM   #36
crex
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i, Jeep wrangler

Quote:

well the one I drove didn't have the sport package and the 3 series and 135 did so they may have been the difference. It just felt a little loose or overboosted plus I couldn't feel anything-- hard to explain...too soft maybe...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 01:06 PM   #37
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 528

Yeah the 1 series brochure says both the 128 and 135 have electric power steering with servotronic power assist. Of course the brochure also says Gray poplar wood trim is standard on the 128i.