BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-21-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
nobbyv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Audi S6

Water In Tail Light?

Did some searching, and I know several of you complained about tail lights not working, but no cause was discussed.

Was washing my car yesterday and noticed the passenger side tail light was filling up with water. It was clearly from washing it; I could see the suds from the soap. There was about an inch at the bottom of the housing. It drained out within about an hour, but there was some condensation in there for awhile. By this morning it seemed dry.

Anyone else noticed this? What are the chances the dealer will replace the tail light?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 06:21 AM   #2
nobbyv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

For anyone that is searching for this topic in the future:

Took the car into the dealer. They first said they didn't see any issue. I then had them spray the trunk area w/ a hose, and the taillight filled with water. They reported they found a "small crack" and ordered me a new one.

Got the car home, and went looking for the "small crack". Turns out the entire lens had separated from the housing. I could pull it towards me a good 1" at the top. The seam all around the top half of the lens had failed. Seems strange, this is clearly a defective part. I'm surprised there have not been more reports.

Just an FYI for anyone with this issue in the future.

Dust/dirt in taillight:

Last edited by nobbyv; 04-29-2010 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: Add pics
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 08:47 AM   #3
KathyFG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 128i coupe 6MT

Thanks for the input- strangely enough, I have noticed a dead ladybug (no s**t) in my taillight, so I wil have to check and see if there is the same issue with the gasket on mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 09:21 AM   #4
nobbyv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyFG View Post
Thanks for the input- strangely enough, I have noticed a dead ladybug (no s**t) in my taillight, so I wil have to check and see if there is the same issue with the gasket on mine.

If its anywhere near as bad as mine, I would not be surprised to find ladybugs, pine needles, leaves, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 01:01 PM   #5
bakuretsu
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2009 128i Coupe

This is probably unrelated since you guys are talking about actual taillights, but I just had a problem where my third brake light (the thin wide one on the trunk lid) got a crack in the middle for a while and then one day just snapped off!

The center light's red outside lens is connected to the weather-sealed light fixture on the inside. Total retail price for that unit: $180.

The dealership told me that without a good reason for why it had been broken, they couldn't replace it under warranty. Me, personally, I don't see how regular driving should cause a plastic part to snap and fly off on the highway somewhere; there is absolutely no damage to any part of the car, not the trunk, bumper, etc.

It's less than a year old!

Anyway, FWIW.

EDIT: My guy at the dealership said that he thought it was strange that they had stock of the third brake light unit; they only keep stock of items that have to be ordered three times. So why would the dealership have had to replace at least three third brake lights for a model that has only been out for a bit more than a year? Concluding that it must be more of a systemic problem, he was able to get the work done under warranty. NICE!

Last edited by bakuretsu; 05-05-2010 at 06:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
nobbyv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

bakuretsu:
I recommend you look into RUNNING, not walking, to find a new dealer. The third brakelight issue is covered by a technical service bulletin, and should be covered 100% under warranty with no questions asked.

I didn't mention it in my original post, but I had this same issue addressed while they were looking at the leak in my tail light, too. There were two other 1'ers there for the same thing that day. Very, very common due to a defect in installation. Don't let a shady dealer tell you otherwise!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 04:57 PM   #7
NL-J
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Some members on a German forum with an 08 coupe or convertible had a recall that had something to do with the tail light gaskets if I'm correct.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
Blue82
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe

I took my car in for normal service today and was told there was a recall for the seals around the taillights. I'd never heard there was a problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 11:04 AM   #9
jarviscochrane
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i M, SGM

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
My dealer is replacing my tail light seals under the above bulletin no questions asked. I didn't have an issue... they suggested it when I had it in for leaking washer fluid.
Appreciate 0