BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-18-2014, 05:02 PM   #1
Grimlock85
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m3 / 135i

PTF e-tune

Hi guys,

I'm looking into the ptf e-tune and i'm reading that you've gotta run your car in 3rd gear from something like 2k to basically redline . For those who have done an e-tune with ptf, where have you been doing these take offs? I mean thats basically upwards of 80+ mph. I'm thinking a freeway on ramp, but it seems you have to tell it when to record. It'd be great to hear your guys experience with this. I really want to do a custom tune, but im concerned about finding a place to do this, not to mention the legality and safety of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nom_nom_time
Hi guys,

I'm looking into the ptf e-tune and i'm reading that you've gotta run your car in 3rd gear from something like 2k to basically redline . For those who have done an e-tune with ptf, where have you been doing these take offs? I mean thats basically upwards of 80+ mph. I'm thinking a freeway on ramp, but it seems you have to tell it when to record. It'd be great to hear your guys experience with this. I really want to do a custom tune, but im concerned about finding a place to do this, not to mention the legality and safety of it.
Find a nice long on ramp, or some empty industrial area on a Sunday. Be safe

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 04:45 PM   #3
Mit_Boost
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by nom_nom_time View Post
Hi guys,

Try to find a nice stretch of open, uncrowded road. Get the car up to a nice operating temp, fully disable traction control, hold 2k RPMs and start datalogging on your COBB AP. Once it confirms it's started to log, bury your foot and run it out to 6.5k.

Be safe and make sure it's clear before starting
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 01:55 PM   #4
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

It can be tricky. I found a decent back road that doesn't get much use. Keep in mind you should ideally do 3 back to back runs. So on ramp may not work so well.

Yes you tell the access port when to start and stop logging. 3 runs. 3 separate logs.
Appreciate 0