BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-19-2015, 07:29 AM   #1
cain45
Rep
Drives: 1 series

decontamination spray

I'm new to the whole decontamination spray process. I've always just used a clay bar. I'd like to try this before claying. My question is what is everyone's favorite decontamination spray? I've found Iron X, Iron out, and Fallout remover...anyone got a fave or one better than the other? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 01:13 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Interested in this as well. Thanks for the thread.
      08-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #3
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
I've only used Iron-X and it worked OK, but the smell of the stuff was just awful, even with the cherry scent... I wanted to try Wolf's DeIronizer, but it doesn't appear to be available in the States.
      08-20-2015, 02:23 PM   #4
cain45
Rep
Drives: 1 series

decontamination spray

I just ordered some Iron X myself to try along with some wheel brushes & a fender well brush too.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 12:58 PM   #5
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

Chemical decontamination is a quick and easy step that will help to save you time and effort during the mechanical decontamination process.

On vehicles that are heavily contaminated, there is usually no doubt that part of the contaminates on the surface are iron. This comes from industrial fallout, brake dust, etc etc etc that is present in the air. These particles land on your paint and some particles bond, meaning they are not simply washed away. These particles must be removed to restore a perfectly clean surface.

This can be achieved simply with a clay bar, though it can be a lengthy process on a heavily contaminated vehicle, therefore a chemical process before the mechanical step will help to remove some of the particles and therefore shorten the amount of time you have to spend with the detailing clay.

Explaining the Decontamination Process (Part 1) by Zach McGovern

Explaining the Decontamination Process (Part 2) by Zach McGovern

There are several products on the market that will work to dissolve iron particles. Products such as CarPro IronX, Optimum Ferrex, and Sonax Fallout Cleaner are among the most popular choices.

The chemical decontamination process is very simple. Just spray a liberal amount (<- that is key, you must cover the paint) of product onto a clean vehicle after the wash process. Always use this out of direct sunlight and ensure the panels are completely cool to the touch. Allow the product to dwell on the surface for several minutes, but not long enough that it begins to dry.

These products turn purple as they start to react with iron.

Next, take a wet wash mitt or clean plush towel and gently wipe the surface to aid in the removal of the of the contamination. Once the car has been wiped, rinse the entire vehicle very thoroughly. On heavily contaminated vehicles, you will likely see a river of purple running off of the vehicle.

note: just because you cannot see the color change on darker vehicles, it does not mean the product is not working. This visible chemical reaction is more easily seen on lighter colors, however the product is effective on every vehicle that has iron contamination.

Hope this helps

Let me know if you've got any further questions.

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 12:16 PM   #6
highbrowed
Boost Addict
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT w/ N54 Delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@DetailedImage View Post
Chemical decontamination is a quick and easy step that will help to save you time and effort during the mechanical decontamination process.

On vehicles that are heavily contaminated, there is usually no doubt that part of the contaminates on the surface are iron. This comes from industrial fallout, brake dust, etc etc etc that is present in the air. These particles land on your paint and some particles bond, meaning they are not simply washed away. These particles must be removed to restore a perfectly clean surface.

This can be achieved simply with a clay bar, though it can be a lengthy process on a heavily contaminated vehicle, therefore a chemical process before the mechanical step will help to remove some of the particles and therefore shorten the amount of time you have to spend with the detailing clay.

Explaining the Decontamination Process (Part 1) by Zach McGovern

Explaining the Decontamination Process (Part 2) by Zach McGovern

There are several products on the market that will work to dissolve iron particles. Products such as CarPro IronX, Optimum Ferrex, and Sonax Fallout Cleaner are among the most popular choices.

The chemical decontamination process is very simple. Just spray a liberal amount (<- that is key, you must cover the paint) of product onto a clean vehicle after the wash process. Always use this out of direct sunlight and ensure the panels are completely cool to the touch. Allow the product to dwell on the surface for several minutes, but not long enough that it begins to dry.

These products turn purple as they start to react with iron.

Next, take a wet wash mitt or clean plush towel and gently wipe the surface to aid in the removal of the of the contamination. Once the car has been wiped, rinse the entire vehicle very thoroughly. On heavily contaminated vehicles, you will likely see a river of purple running off of the vehicle.

note: just because you cannot see the color change on darker vehicles, it does not mean the product is not working. This visible chemical reaction is more easily seen on lighter colors, however the product is effective on every vehicle that has iron contamination.

Hope this helps

Let me know if you've got any further questions.

Zach McGovern
Thanks for this, Greg!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #7
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

Quote:
Originally Posted by highbrowed View Post
Thanks for this, Greg!
**Zach, not Greg

Our username is a bit confusing, but my name is Zach McGovern. I am a professional detailer based in Central Illinois (Peoria, IL to be exact). I work for Detailed Image as an author for their Ask-A-Pro Blog and help them by participating in forums that they sponsor to provide support for users who may have questions about detailing. For simplicity sake, I use Greg's username when I am on the forum, so be sure to check the signature at the bottom of the post to see who is posting... sorry for the confusion, and glad you found the info helpful.

Zach McGovern
Appreciate 0