BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
Onezie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Review/Introduction: ARK Performance exhaust for 135i

Whats going on! I am new to the forum and the N54 platform. My name is Derick and I am stationed in MD at Andrews AFB. Being that this isn't eHarmony, enough of the personal info. I brought my 09 135i Jan 30th. Since then I have done some mods such as; Cobb AP, BMS DCI, and ARK Performance Exhaust which is what this post is essentially about.

I purchased the exhaust from Gil @ Mckenna Performance. He offered outstanding customer service and fast response with even faster shipping. Due to the nature of my job I have just gotten around to installing it. The reason why i had decided to get the ARK exhaust is because I had it on my 08 Evo X and i loved the quality, finish, and sound of their exhaust systems. It delivers a very mature sound, very deep and subtle until you go WOT.
Evo with ARK Performance Single Exhaust

now the ARK exhaust for the 135i

upon arrival I gave it a good look-over, welds and bends looked great! I expected that from ARK, and they came through. I normally do installs on my own but I was being really lazy so i took it over to the guys at Moore Automotive in Fairfax, VA and let them do the install.

Old junk

New

my one Con:
The fitment was a little tight. It took some maneuvering to get it "right". I honestly think the mechanic didn't follow the instructions cuz he installed from the back to the front, go figure! There bracket or brace is about 1-2 millimeters away from the x-pipe. I will get under there and fix that later. It does hit the exhaust when i go over bumps.

Got it centered and good to go!

There is a little "snow storm" here in MD, once that clears up i will do the videos. Cold start/Idle + Drive away + Drive by + In car + and Rev. Also, March 30, i will be attending a Dyno Day and will put up a video of the Dyno pul and the numbers with just a Cobb AP, DCI, ARK exhaust, and running Stage 1 ST Aggressive Map. Over all i love the exhaust the sound is VERY distinct and gives me a reason to not listen to my radio. Thank you Gil & Mckenna Performance. I will def being doing more business with you guys.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

Looking forward to the videos. Glad to see another Mid-Atlantic 1er in the area that actually mods their car

Nice Evo BTW
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 06:16 AM   #3
Onezie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angerman
Looking forward to the videos. Glad to see another Mid-Atlantic 1er in the area that actually mods their car

Nice Evo BTW
Thanks! I am sure I will see you around the area this spring/summer
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angerman View Post

Nice Evo BTW
Forreal. Exhaust looks nice OP, but did they remember to re-bolt the midpipe bracket that helps support and space things? Not the little panel that your xpipe is hitting, it's the dedicated bracket closer to the downpipe flanges. TBH it probably doesn't matter with the OE downpipes having their own hangers.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
Onezie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angerman View Post

Nice Evo BTW
Forreal. Exhaust looks nice OP, but did they remember to re-bolt the midpipe bracket that helps support and space things? Not the little panel that your xpipe is hitting, it's the dedicated bracket closer to the downpipe flanges. TBH it probably doesn't matter with the OE downpipes having their own hangers.
I believe so. I took those under pics a bit prematurely because I was being impatient, but imma check for sure tomorrow though because now I'm second guessing.

UPDATE: I added some washers under the mid-pipe bracket and it doesn't hit the exhaust anymore, that was driving me nuts. It is definitely something that ARK should try to fix. I know I wasn't the only one with that problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
Gil@McKennaPerformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: FBO M sport 2 series

Hey Derrick, the exhaust is looking really good!

Thanks for posting up the install pics and I really look forward to hearing the exhaust soon. I did notify our ARK performance rep about the tight fit and he said he was going to forward this thread over to their R&D team so they can look into it. I'm glad you were able to get everything worked out though!

Let me know know if there is anything else I can help you out with.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 01:20 AM   #7
vv1803
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Graphite Gray 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Dreamin View Post
I believe so. I took those under pics a bit prematurely because I was being impatient, but imma check for sure tomorrow though because now I'm second guessing.

UPDATE: I added some washers under the mid-pipe bracket and it doesn't hit the exhaust anymore, that was driving me nuts. It is definitely something that ARK should try to fix. I know I wasn't the only one with that problem.

Do you have a photo of where you put the additional washers? Are you saying that you lowered the cross frame? I'm having some rubbing issues where the x pipe touches the cross frame piece. The fitment is definitely really tight and touches just barely. The instructions did not say anything about reusing the oem hanger bracket for the mid pipes. Do you think they should be re used?

This metal on metal clanging noise is driving me nuts. It's sad but an exhaust this nice should have better clearances.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 07:47 AM   #8
gtjosh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver 2011 135i DCT

I know this is an old thread but I figured I would put in my 2 cents. I recently did this install on my 2011 N55. I had clearance issues with the cross brace and installed 4 spacers between the chassis of the car and the brace. That solved the fitment issue until I just installed a downpipe. Now I need more clearance. I am going to try and put a hose clamp on the exhaust hanger bushing to raise it up a little bit. Also The exhaust is rubbing on my aftermarket carbon fiber diffuser when it gets heated up.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 09:49 AM   #9
this.guy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i (E82/N54)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtjosh View Post
I know this is an old thread but I figured I would put in my 2 cents. I recently did this install on my 2011 N55. I had clearance issues with the cross brace and installed 4 spacers between the chassis of the car and the brace. That solved the fitment issue until I just installed a downpipe. Now I need more clearance. I am going to try and put a hose clamp on the exhaust hanger bushing to raise it up a little bit. Also The exhaust is rubbing on my aftermarket carbon fiber diffuser when it gets heated up.
I'm a little late to the game here.. I just ordered said exhaust for my whip, and was curious if you could advise what size washers you used? I figured I could pickup some of the required hardware while I was waiting for it to ship.
Much Thanks!
Appreciate 0