BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-25-2009, 10:05 AM   #1
AliMoney1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

3M ClearBra on Bumper

I have an appt to get ClearBra added to the front portion of the hood and the front of the side panels. Basically, all the metal at the front of the car.

The dealer told me not to bother with the front bumber since it is like putting plastic on plastic and scratches on the bumper can be easily touched-up.

Since the majority of the front of the car is bumper, I am wondering what your thoughts were on getting ClearBra on the front bumper as well (will run $300 extra)
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
Lionel Hutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Your dealer is full of it. The purpose of a clearbra is to protect against rock chips. The front bumper is painted just like the rest of the car. There's no easy touching up of rock chips. They either need to be individually filled or you need to have the panel resprayed.

Also, if your dealer is charging you $300 for just the bumper, run away. A reputable shop shouldn't charge much more than $300 for bumper, fenders, hood and side mirrors combined.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
do it
dealers just want u to order a new bumper from them

i love my clear bra...on ALL my past cars and current cars it has saved it
      06-25-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed 2.0 View Post
Your dealer is full of it. The purpose of a clearbra is to protect against rock chips. The front bumper is painted just like the rest of the car. There's no easy touching up of rock chips. They either need to be individually filled or you need to have the panel resprayed.

Also, if your dealer is charging you $300 for just the bumper, run away. A reputable shop shouldn't charge much more than $300 for bumper, fenders, hood and side mirrors combined.

Just like tint pricing, it all depends on where you live. $300 would get you laughed out of any reputable clear bra dealer in CA's showroom. I paid about $500 to do my GTI and that was bumper, grill, side mirrors, fenders, and hood. When I added the OEM front lip I had to do that separately (and I did it my self) for another $75 or so. It's not cheap.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
zerbitini
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

My '02 330xi bumper had DOZENS of road rash chips after 92,000 mostly commuting highway miles. It was far worse than the hood or fenders.

I'm getting my bumper, hood and fenders covered with a clearbra next week when my 135 shows up at the dealer!!!

I have two quotes, $620 from the BMW dealer and $485 from a reputable shop. Just the bumper clear bra costs $175 (in Kansas).

I would strongly recommend it.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
aksundog
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I just got mine installed yesterday. I'm happy with it, hardly noticeable.

However, I noticed a loud whistling sound while driving above 40 mph. I thought it was my window that wasn't closing completely, but when I rolled the window down the sound got louder and I realized it was coming from my rear view mirror. If I stuck my hand under the mirror the sound would stop, so it's definitely coming from there.

Somehow the ClearBra affected the aerodynamics of the rear view mirrors. Never had this problem on other cars, but I'll likely pull it off that part of the car this afternoon.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 01:12 PM   #7
1N54E92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 M-Sport

I have it on my whole front end , rocker panels, rear panels, and rear bumper. Well worth the $$$$$. everytime a rock flys up hits the bumper, headlight, mirror, etc. I am glad that I hear a tiny "thud" instead of loud "ting". get the clear bra. No regrets !
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 01:14 PM   #8
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksundog View Post
I just got mine installed yesterday. I'm happy with it, hardly noticeable.

However, I noticed a loud whistling sound while driving above 40 mph. I thought it was my window that wasn't closing completely, but when I rolled the window down the sound got louder and I realized it was coming from my rear view mirror. If I stuck my hand under the mirror the sound would stop, so it's definitely coming from there.

Somehow the ClearBra affected the aerodynamics of the rear view mirrors. Never had this problem on other cars, but I'll likely pull it off that part of the car this afternoon.

It's NOT the clear bra. It's very common to notice things right after your car's been in the shop for something that you normally would because you're actually paying attention. Before you pull anything off, find someone else with a 1 and see if theirs does it. I bet it does.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 01:17 PM   #9
SLO
Shane
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, RRS, LR4

WTF!! I paid $900 for my bumper, partial hood, fenders, and mirrors. Apparently, I got f-ed!!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 01:19 PM   #10
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
WTF!! I paid $900 for my bumper, partial hood, fenders, and mirrors. Apparently, I got f-ed!!
wow.
you got hosed big time.
      06-25-2009, 01:20 PM   #11
aksundog
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
It's NOT the clear bra. It's very common to notice things right after your car's been in the shop for something that you normally would because you're actually paying attention. Before you pull anything off, find someone else with a 1 and see if theirs does it. I bet it does.
Don't know that I would be as certain as you are that it's not the ClearBra. I've driven a few hours with the window down before install with no problems with the intent to listen to any noise I can hear from the car.

Believe me, this sounds like introduction to the Civil War song by Gun's N' Roses. I'm not talking about a mild whistle here. I can hear it with the window rolled up AND the radio volume turned up.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 02:38 PM   #12
AliMoney1
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the replies. I have decided to get the bumper done in time for my 9am appt tomorrow morning. I negotiated a price of $600 at the dealer for everything on the front of the car (bumper, hood, fender mirrors, lights, etc.). Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 03:21 PM   #13
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksundog View Post
Don't know that I would be as certain as you are that it's not the ClearBra. I've driven a few hours with the window down before install with no problems with the intent to listen to any noise I can hear from the car.

Believe me, this sounds like introduction to the Civil War song by Gun's N' Roses. I'm not talking about a mild whistle here. I can hear it with the window rolled up AND the radio volume turned up.

Then LOOK at it first. The clear bra is not nearly thich enough to effect a change in the cars aerodynamics to the point of creating audibly noise. Perhaps the installer removed the mirror covers to install the bra? I know people that have had "quiet" cars swap mirror housing covers and all of a sudden have noise.

I'll guarantee you it's not the bra.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 03:57 PM   #14
aksundog
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Then LOOK at it first. The clear bra is not nearly thich enough to effect a change in the cars aerodynamics to the point of creating audibly noise. Perhaps the installer removed the mirror covers to install the bra? I know people that have had "quiet" cars swap mirror housing covers and all of a sudden have noise.

I peeled off the bra that was on the front facing portion of the mirrors after another person on this board privately messaged me that he had the same problem with his ClearBra before getting it fixed.

Sound went away. I'm happy with it now. Can only hear the wind and the engine.

I know it seems like a very minor difference in aerodynamics, but obviously it was enough to make the whistle. I wasn't too worried about protecting the rear view mirrors anyhow, so I won't miss the stuff I threw away.

Careful what you guarantee, QS!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 04:04 PM   #15
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep

Maybe something moved when you peeled it. I've had clear bra on a number of cars and know many others with them and it has never caused a whistle. You'd be surprised how much of a beating the mirrors take too.

Maybe yours is just special.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 04:36 PM   #16
otterdoc
Mean Little Otter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
That's what my dealer quoted me, too. Gonna try to negotiate it down.
      06-25-2009, 04:40 PM   #17
nszzya
Drive Different
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F15 '17 F87

Quote:
Please post your invoice.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 04:44 PM   #18
nszzya
Drive Different
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe something moved when you peeled it. I've had clear bra on a number of cars and know many others with them and it has never caused a whistle. You'd be surprised how much of a beating the mirrors take too.

Maybe yours is just special.
I don't think so:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214363
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 05:04 PM   #19
deamon32
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:

I can guarantee you it is the clear bra, I have done tests on this and it is without a doubt the clear bra.

I first noticed a whistle on my car after getting the clear bra installed and I just lived with it for about a month before investigating.

I ordered some OEM shadowline painted mirror caps, replaced them with the ones that had the clear bra on them and the whistle was gone on both the left and right sides. Have not heard it once since I replaced the mirror caps without the clear bra, I also never heard the whistle before I got the clear bra.
Just to be sure I recently installed the mirror cap with the clear bra on ONLY the passenger side and clearly hear a whistle from the passenger side window.

An easy fix for people with the clear bra is to add a dab of automotive silicone at the bottom of the mirror into the gap between the mirror cap and the actual mirror unit. Its hard to explain without pictures but while your driving with your whistling mirrors put your finger on the bottom of the mirror and find the groove between the mirror housing and the mirror cap, once you cover that groove at the right location the whistle will stop. Just add a dab of silicone right there and your golden.
      06-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #20
nszzya
Drive Different
United_States
Rep

Since some people clearly (sorry) do not have the problem, it would be helpful for those with the whistling problem to describe how the clear bra was fitted to the mirror cap (kit vs. custom install, extent of coverage, number of pieces used, etc.). A comparison with others without the problem might lead to a solution.

(I do not have the problem, but I'm away from my 1 for another two weeks and don't remember the details of my installation.)
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 05:19 PM   #21
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 335 iX

I Strongly recommend getting the clear bra installed. Also I have seen dealer installations and a reputable shop installation and decided to get it done independently. I got my full front bumper done 1/3 of the nose both hood and fenders, side skirts, mirrors, and rear bumper the whole thing cost me about $1000. I was present during the installation and it took 9 hours to get the job completed.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2009, 06:51 PM   #22
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
I have the clear braa. It's worth it, but the mirror covers still whistle at high speeds.