BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-11-2011, 06:36 AM   #23
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BSM 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleskovar View Post
I can't see where it would make a bad difference unless you used cheap or poorly made tires. They'll be lighter, and less unsprung weight is a good thing. Most people that have made the switch report better performance and comfort.
Actually the threads on this subject provide a difference of opinion, albeit smaller on the side of keeping RFT, but there are a few. The consensus of those who favor RFT agree that suspension modification is required for non-RFT. If you think about it, I find it hard to believe that BMW has no spent time tuning the suspension on RFT, so to me it makes sense. Those in this camp find switching to non-RFT resulted in a softer, less compliant ride and some even switched back to RFT.

Personally, I don't think the ride is harsh on RFT, and have gotten compliments on the ride of the car, but where I live the roads are apparently in better shape than say in the NE, so maybe that's the difference.

pge
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #24
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennislaw View Post
.. The consensus of those who favor RFT agree that suspension modification is required for non-RFT. If you think about it, I find it hard to believe that BMW has no spent time tuning the suspension on RFT, so to me it makes sense. Those in this camp find switching to non-RFT resulted in a softer, less compliant ride and some even switched back to RFT.
Why suspension modification? There are three different suspensions available for the 1 series and they all use RFT so which one is it "tuned" for? When you change wheel size do they give you a different tuned suspension? True the sidewalls are stiffer and many like that feel and many more think the RFTs are skittish and hop around corners. I think it's a preference choice with the technical differences being so minor they don't make a real difference to the street driver. Not that they won't "feel" different though.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #25
mike06612
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raze View Post
2. I have 205/50R17 Bridgestone Torenzas. What does a run flat tire look like when "flat"? Im trying to understand if my tire needs replacement or not.
You can't tell by looking at it if it's flat or not, or even if it needs air. All you can tell by looking at it is if you hit a pothole on the Cross Bronx and there's a hole in the sidewall, then it's time to change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raze View Post

3.The garage told me that BMW should fix the tire as they dont handle run flats. BMW said that run flats cant be fixed.
Find a tire shop that handles run flats, and they may repair it. Our BMW dealer insists that once you dismount a run flat tire for any reason they won't put it back on the rim, let alone repair it. Our tire shop has no problem doing either. Make a few calls and see who in your area can do it for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 11:56 AM   #26
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
My question is how close to the side wall is the limit to fix the tire?
Is this fixable?
Not even leak (so far).

Name:  IMG_4613.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  77.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 12:41 PM   #27
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauloxxi View Post
....Is this fixable?....Not even leak (so far)....

It may not have gone in far enough. Drive with it and eventually it will. I say it's fixable though. Your tire shop will tell you.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 02:44 PM   #28
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

It's close. It's kind of at the transition of the tread to the sidewall. Even a place that will patch run flats might not want to do this tire. I would want to pull it because driving on it will make it go deeper. And if it doesn't leak when you pull it out you are OK. If it leaks, then you have to get it to a repair place and see.

My ex wife had her run flats fixed a couple times. But most tire places are not going to take a lot of risk by patching a tire that is iffy. They don't have a lot of incentive.
      09-04-2019, 09:59 PM   #29
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
In my case too close to side wall. I had to replace. As I was told the area close to side wall flexes too much and the plug will become eventually lose.
Appreciate 0