BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #45
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

The wrapped cars I have seen look great from 10 feet away. Once you get closer, you can find seams and imperfections usually. I love a matte finish on a car, and I would consider it if it were just a bit cheaper.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #46
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

The only thing that puts me off about a wrap job is that part of the enjoyment of car ownership is the carring of one's car. ie waxing and polishing. IF I could nopt do that weekly ritual... that is kind of a deal breaker for me. You know? Its kind of like my weekly or bi-weekly theraphy. I would miss that too much with a wrapped car.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #47
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
It will proabably look something like this:

Actually not bad.

OP, go for it, might as well be individual, especially if tastefully done. Keep us updated and G/L!
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #48
BMW Mil
Solly
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW

thats what i am hoping it looks like... basically with the 3M Protective Wrap when he takes the wrap off in 2 years the paint underneath is brand new, improved value on the car, and the new owner has the choice of Matte Grey or BSM. I think its a good idea to make it a little unique and protect the paint for a good cost. I cant wait much longer for the pics.!! Monday I hopefully get a few snaps and Tuesday the car back!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #49
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

I's with Dackelone on the weekly ritual..I LOVE to detail my car..Looks are subjective, but not a fan of the wrap..Nor i see no sense in keeping the car pristine for the next owner...Part of the beauty of the BMW's are the finish and quality and the looks, etcetcetc and to enjoy it fully while i/you own it...The 1M IS A STUNNING BEAUTIFUL CAR....enjoy it for yourself!!!!!!!.
      09-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #50
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 335 iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZAGLO View Post
I's with Dackelone on the weekly ritual..I LOVE to detail my car..Looks are subjective, but not a fan of the wrap..Nor i see no sense in keeping the car pristine for the next owner...Part of the beauty of the BMW's are the finish and quality and the looks, etcetcetc and to enjoy it fully while i/you own it...The 1M IS A STUNNING BEAUTIFUL CAR....enjoy it for yourself!!!!!!!.

One question. If you buy VO and have the car wrapped in this matte grey, what is listed on your registration? Do you have to change it with dept. of motor vehicles? I can imagine getting into trouble if one gets pulled over.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #51
adobeee
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Mil View Post
thats what i am hoping it looks like... basically with the 3M Protective Wrap when he takes the wrap off in 2 years the paint underneath is brand new, improved value on the car, and the new owner has the choice of Matte Grey or BSM. I think its a good idea to make it a little unique and protect the paint for a good cost. I cant wait much longer for the pics.!! Monday I hopefully get a few snaps and Tuesday the car back!
How much do you think it'll cost to install the Wrap?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #52
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The only thing that puts me off about a wrap job is that part of the enjoyment of car ownership is the carring of one's car. ie waxing and polishing. IF I could nopt do that weekly ritual... that is kind of a deal breaker for me. You know? Its kind of like my weekly or bi-weekly theraphy. I would miss that too much with a wrapped car.
You still can wash it.
It's just like sex with condom. or
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #53
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Mil View Post
Do it because YOU like the looks, but protecting the paint for the next owner isn't a good argument. If it was $200, maybe. But $3000? :loco:

Say, do you also wrap your remotes with Saran Wrap?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #54
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
Do it because YOU like the looks, but protecting the paint for the next owner isn't a good argument. If it was $200, maybe. But $3000? :loco:

Say, do you also wrap your remotes with Saran Wrap?

Who said it costs 3K ???

I said a good wrap job costs 1/3 of a good paint job over here in Germany. Most wrap jobs are under 1,200 euros. But I know the more curves the harder it is to wrap. I was told the new Beetle is a hard car to wrap. For a Beetle you can pay 1,800 euros or so. I think the 1M bumpers might be hard to master wrapping.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #55
timwin
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW(daily)/Infiniti(Weekend)

It would be more cost effective to strip the clear and have them spray a flat clear on it to give it matted look given that the color of the car is what you want it to be.

It takes a bad ass installer for it to be perfect and seamless.

Tim
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #56
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Who said it costs 3K ???

I said a good wrap job costs 1/3 of a good paint job over here in Germany. Most wrap jobs are under 1,200 euros. But I know the more curves the harder it is to wrap. I was told the new Beetle is a hard car to wrap. For a Beetle you can pay 1,800 euros or so. I think the 1M bumpers might be hard to master wrapping.
You, in post #23.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #57
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubo View Post
One question. If you buy VO and have the car wrapped in this matte grey, what is listed on your registration? Do you have to change it with dept. of motor vehicles? I can imagine getting into trouble if one gets pulled over.
Thats a good point...

on that note what do the 'RED BULL" wrapped cars ( mostly Mini's ) register as... Bull's ???? yellow, red , blue ?????? LOL
      09-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #58
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Series 1 m coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
Thats a good point...

on that note what do the 'RED BULL" wrapped cars ( mostly Mini's ) register as... Bull's ???? yellow, red , blue ?????? LOL
As it's only a temporary colour change there is no need to notify a colour change only if you repaint a different colour do you need to.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 12:57 AM   #59
Stratus650
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupe

This is a very popular way to change car colors here in Dubai.

one of the leading shops is called Fibrafoil. and they dont only foil matt foils, they also do glossy/shiny ones, graphics, etc.

This is an idea of how its done...

facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/FibraFoil

'12 Candy Grey Metallic 1M
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 01:08 AM   #60
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubo View Post
In the EU, Car stays registered under its original color, I recently rented a Europcar with a green panther theme, that on paper was beige. Kids loved it!

When it comes to showing/proofing that color, one just opens the hood.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 02:49 AM   #61
A10ACN
Germany
Rep
Drives: Landcruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratus650 View Post

one of the leading shops is called Fibrafoil. and they dont only foil matt foils, they also do glossy/shiny ones, graphics, etc.

The brown doesn't do much for me but the concept and execution of the film work was very impressive. Talented film director.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #62
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Ein
Do you guys know how much it costs to paint a car?

3K to 5K euros - so I hear. Most good wrap jobs run under 1.5K euros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
You, in post #23.

What I said was...

paint job in Germany = 3K to 5K euros
wrap job in Germany = 1.5K euros = $2250 in USd.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 09:35 PM   #63
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
Wait, so the color would have made you buy it? Not the performance and handling? Are you sure you want to admit that publicly? Not even my wife is that bad!
Yup... I do not care for any of the 3 choices. So much so that I would not consider this vehicle...
      09-11-2011, 05:58 AM   #64
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Yeah, I could definitely do without that.

This thread should have anyone with color and pristine paint issues run to their 1M dealers. Looking forward to more Matte Grey (or any original color in foil) pictures
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #65
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratus650 View Post

facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/FibraFoil

VERY cool video! Just goes to show you how much work is involved in a wrap job. Just look how many times that front bumper came off/on. This shop looks very baren/sparse... why do the employee's work on the floor? (left rear corner of the video) I think they could afford a few work benches/tables.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #66
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e46M3 Ruby, Porsche Cayman GT4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post
Yup... I do not care for any of the 3 choices. So much so that I would not consider this vehicle...
I do not care for any of the 3 colours either, but boy am i glad that didnt stop me being smart enough to buy the car anyway
Appreciate 0