10-15-2015, 07:21 AM   #45
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
The M2 is roughly 17 seconds faster than the 1M in the ring. Not sure what to make of that.
Applying a few basic assumptions, I come up with approximately 1.3 seconds quicker for your weekly trip to Costco, as long as there isn't too much traffic.
Appreciate 2
      10-15-2015, 07:38 AM   #46
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
IMO....this whole modern day 'Nurburgring lap time' situation has ruined the proper evaluation of cars and their enjoyment.
This!!!!

Armchair critics are ruining our cars!

And yes, James May is my spirit animal.
Appreciate 2
      10-15-2015, 08:03 AM   #47
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
IMO....this whole modern day 'Nurburgring lap time' situation has ruined the proper evaluation of cars and their enjoyment.

let me try to provide some perspective. An E30 M3 Sport Evolution (one of THE most desirable BMWs ever made) takes 8m 45s to lap the ring.....but I can assure it would be a faaaar more enjoyable and rewarding driving experience than the M2 which would do it 47 seconds faster. I don't think lap times should be associated with the enjoyment of the car.....do they assess technical ability?? yes! do they assess enjoyment? not at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Wanted to say that I completely agree with this post; N-ring times are starting to distract enthusiasts from really important matters, becoming counter-effective. Most people think in simple terms and take things for granted and they ignore the huge differences in tyre-transmission-suspension technologies and there is also the fact that most flagship cars are nowadays developed on the ring by professional test drivers just to retract that precious (and also virtually impossible to attend for other drivers kind of) Ring Time. I would like to see a back to back test by same driver with same tires between the 1M and M2 and I suspect there would be much less of a difference, if any, especially if the cars are manual to manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redux View Post
I'm sure given equal tires the M2 is will out handle the 1M. The M325i rectified the ills of the 1M front end, the M2 will one up that. It's really a question of it being more enjoyable at reasonable speeds away from the track.
Quote:
i agree with you about setups and tires....BUT even if there was still a significant difference I still don't think it adds much to deciding which car is more enjoyable or rewarding to drive. I think that depends on the driver as well as the small details of the driving experience.

I think due to the Internet people have developed short attention spans so assessing a car based on a number (lap time) has become an easy way to compare-----but before the Internet people loved cars based on how they drove not by comparing it to a database of ring lap times!
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Applying a few basic assumptions, I come up with approximately 1.3 seconds quicker for your weekly trip to Costco, as long as there isn't too much traffic.
Don't get me wrong guys, I do understand the car that I have and how special it is. Obviously, life isn't just about ring times but what I'm trying to say I guess is that 17 seconds is quite a lot for two cars that are quite similar IMO.

My Z3 M Roadster and M coupe is roughly another 27 to 17 secs slower respectively than the 1M and I find them to be even more enjoyable and rewarding than the 1M.

Engagement is one thing but what I'm really trying to discuss is how the M2 can be 17 seconds faster at the ring? Some have pointed out tires, the DCT, and maybe the marginal power difference. I just don't know how the M2 can achieve those numbers based on the info we have so far.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 08:53 AM   #48
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Don't get me wrong guys, I do understand the car that I have and how special it is. Obviously, life isn't just about ring times but what I'm trying to say I guess is that 17 seconds is quite a lot for two cars that are quite similar IMO.

My Z3 M Roadster and M coupe is roughly another 27 to 17 secs slower respectively than the 1M and I find them to be even more enjoyable and rewarding than the 1M.

Engagement is one thing but what I'm really trying to discuss is how the M2 can be 17 seconds faster at the ring? Some have pointed out tires, the DCT, and maybe the marginal power difference. I just don't know how the M2 can achieve those numbers based on the info we have so far.
Aerodynamics, and a longer wheel base I think that the higher power and aero make this thing noticeably faster on the straights.

The 1M is taller (higher CG), and shorter (more squirelly out of turns).

I those subtle differences on this long track make the times different.

That said I'd rather have the 1M all day for all the reasons posted above.
You'll never regret pursuing what you really want....ever. You will, however, regret NOT doing things you wanted to do.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2015, 12:32 PM   #49
Les Grossman
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M

I think M2 looks fantastic. It looks like the 1M would have if it were released in 2016.

Will I replace my 1M with one? It remains to be seen...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 01:57 PM   #50
edwardio
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW 1M COUPE

I love the M2, it's just made the 1M even more exclusive and sought after......will never sell my beautiful little baby M..
M2
Appreciate 2
      10-15-2015, 03:21 PM   #51
djafactor
MINI Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 89 M3, 1M, e30 touring

Upon finally seeing the official pics of the new M2 I wasn't overly wowed. The fangs in the front and vertical reflectors in the rear are overwhelming the design for me. The bumpers feel a bit disproportionate like they are off a X6/X5 imo. It's probably going to look amazing in person but right now the desire, for me, is not there.

In contrast I remember my anticipation of the 1M prior to the reveal: the various spy camo shots, the BMWCCA sneak peak, the invited test drives. When the car was finally unveiled I was in love with it's aggression and simplicity. It looked raw, something made by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.

During my ED in Sept 2011 I had a chance to meet one of the engineers on the project, he told my father and I the story of how it came together over many bottles of rum, their desire to build a modern e30 M3, the fight by Dr Siegler to have it approved by BMW, he was so giddy that he even showed us their original beat up project car, I could feel the love and pride he had when I asked him to sign the underside hood of my car. There is a certain magic the 1M will always have and you only understand it once you've driven one.

What makes the e30 M3 so great is pretty much the same reason that makes the 1M so great: Utter passion with minimal compromise.

I'm sure the M2 is going to be a phenomenal drive but this is a car now carefully conceived with the accountants and analysts involved.

Prior to 2011 true BMW enthusiasts wished BMW would build another e30 M3. I believe that 20 years from now enthusiasts are going to be once again reminiscing, wishing BMW would make another 1M.

Hopefully prices will tank so I can buy another one to drive year round.

Ahhh... Memories....

10-15-2015, 04:10 PM   #52
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by djafactor View Post
... I asked him to sign the underside hood of my car. ...
Already for a while now: you own the only Jürgen-Schwenker-signed 1M in North America!

Quote:
... Hopefully prices will tank so I can buy another one to drive year round. ...
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 04:48 PM   #53
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
This!!!!

Armchair critics are ruining our cars!

And yes, James May is my spirit animal.
You mean how everyone is saying that the M2 will not be as special, as fun, as awesome as the 1M without haven driven one?

Since I already have a 1M and will be adding an M2 soon, I'm glad that the M2 is not just a 1M clone. I will be able to choose between two similar yet different driving experiences to satisfy my quench for awesomeness for the day. I do wish the M2 could be had with manual seats

Side note: the M2 doesn't have the insulation under the hood so maybe they gave it the 1M treatment and removed a lot of the insulation to help make it more raw. Does anyone know if the M235i has insulation under the hood?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 04:54 PM   #54
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
You mean how everyone is saying that the M2 will not be as special, as fun, as awesome as the 1M without haven driven one?

Since I already have a 1M and will be adding an M2 soon, I'm glad that the M2 is not just a 1M clone. I will be able to choose between two similar yet different driving experiences to satisfy my quench for awesomeness for the day. I do wish the M2 could be had with manual seats

Side note: the M2 doesn't have the insulation under the hood so maybe they gave it the 1M treatment and removed a lot of the insulation to help make it more raw. Does anyone know if the M235i has insulation under the hood?
Are you getting a manual or DCT? Will be eager to hear your reviews...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 04:57 PM   #55
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Upon finally seeing the official pics of the new M2 I wasn't overly wowed. The fangs in the front and vertical reflectors in the rear are overwhelming the design for me. The bumpers feel a bit disproportionate like they are off a X6/X5 imo. It's probably going to look amazing in person but right now the desire, for me, is not there.

In contrast I remember my anticipation of the 1M prior to the reveal: the various spy camo shots, the BMWCCA sneak peak, the invited test drives. When the car was finally unveiled I was in love with it's aggression and simplicity. It looked raw, something made by enthusiasts for enthusiasts.

During my ED in Sept 2011 I had a chance to meet one of the engineers on the project, he told my father and I the story of how it came together over many bottles of rum, their desire to build a modern e30 M3, the fight by Dr Siegler to have it approved by BMW, he was so giddy that he even showed us their original beat up project car, I could feel the love and pride he had when I asked him to sign the underside hood of my car. There is a certain magic the 1M will always have and you only understand it once you've driven one.

What makes the e30 M3 so great is pretty much the same reason that makes the 1M so great: Utter passion with minimal compromise.

I'm sure the M2 is going to be a phenomenal drive but this is a car now carefully conceived with the accountants and analysts involved.

Prior to 2011 true BMW enthusiasts wished BMW would build another e30 M3. I believe that 20 years from now enthusiasts are going to be once again reminiscing, wishing BMW would make another 1M.

Hopefully prices will tank so I can buy another one to drive year round.

Ahhh... Memories....

Prices won't tank. As beautiful as I think the M2 is, the looks of the 1M is just classic BMW...coupled with the awesome ride and rarity, it was setup from the beginning to be a classic, highly desired car. I will never sell it...probably pass it on to my kids when I die. They all love it, from my 19yo down to my 4 month old. My 4 yo daughter is in love with it and will probably go to her.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 05:01 PM   #56
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Are you getting a manual or DCT? Will be eager to hear your reviews...
Right now....80% manual, 20 DCT. I've thought about getting DCT for the extra speed and so my wife could actually drive it...actually thats a knock agaisnt an automatic! LOL! The fact that the 1M is a manual is probably the only reason it doesn't have any door dings...I kid, I kid.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 05:48 PM   #57
1MSPEEDY
Can't wait for spring!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M, 135 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc3 View Post
Tyre technology moves on
The Super Sports on the M2 would be worth 17 seconds. The OEM tires on the 1M were crap and certainly a detriment to the Rig time posted.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2015, 12:09 PM   #58
adobeee
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X6 M50i

What are thoughts on 1M value once these M2s are released?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 12:11 PM   #59
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adobeee
What are thoughts on 1M value once these M2s are released?
no change, IMO. the same way the values didn't change after the M3/M4 came out.....even though so many people said they would!

I don't think the 1M is bought 2nd hand by people looking for a value proposition----I think the 1M is bought by people who want a 1M....period. That's how it was for me. I don't think an M2 can substitute for the 1M.....neither can an M4.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 01:55 PM   #60
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I still think the values will drop a little because the M2 is the replacement for the 1M. I'll quote myself from a previous thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
No, 1M prices did fall from the astronomical prices some sellers were asking. Prices from reasonable sellers did hold around the original MSRP which I think was expected. My guess is that 1M prices will drop a little bit when the M2 finally comes out, but not significantly.

My reasoning is that someone looking for a smaller M car will then have the choice of a used 1M or a new M2 (some buyers may not have even considered the F8x due to price and/or size). Someone selling a used 1M at that time will then have a 4-5 year old car with miles on it competing with a new small M car with warranty. Unless someone really has their heart set on a 1M, it could be hard to justify paying the same amount of money or more for a 1M over an M2.

On the other hand, if reviews of the M2 end up being less than favorable, we could see the opposite effect of 1M prices rising.
      10-16-2015, 03:02 PM   #61
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
I still think the values will drop a little because the M2 is the replacement for the 1M. I'll quote myself from a previous thread:
the M2 is not really a normal industry 'replacement' of the 1M. The 1M was produced for 9 months and will never have a true sequel. The M2 continues similar ideas, but doesn't have the same mythology surrounding it.

I think 1Ms like mine with mileage (72k miles) will depreciate due to high mileage...but it doesn't really matter to me because mine will stay with me til my arthritic hands can't shift the gears at which point i will give it to my kid.

Many of us who bought a used 1M could have easily bought an M3/M4 or E9X M3 or M235i or whatever else but the reality is that many of us went through hurdles to get a 1M as that's the car we wanted.

The M2 will bring a nice new car warranty and a new car smell-----but if i had to do it all over again right now and decide between a 1M and an M2 i would 1000% get a 1M again. Would not even hesitate for a second. The 1M is pretty amazing.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 03:09 PM   #62
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Just wait until everyone and their mom is driving around in M2s. The 1M will be that much more special.
Appreciate 2
      10-16-2015, 05:05 PM   #63
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Just wait until everyone and their mom is driving around in M2s. The 1M will be that much more special.
M2 vert FTW.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #64
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
M2 vert FTW.
M2 X-Drive Active Tourer Convertible????

Appreciate 1
      10-16-2015, 06:09 PM   #65
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Now that DCT is available my grandma has one on order.

She can't stand my 1M.

Nuff said...
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2015, 07:34 AM   #66
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

In my opinion the 1M was the last of the old school 'raw' M cars with a taste of the new generation combined into one vehicle.

I realize technology moves on but automatic gearboxes, fake engine sounds, etc is not what M is all about in my opinion.

I also think the the M badge is way overused in the BMW lineup now.
Appreciate 4