BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-20-2016, 09:56 PM   #1
370z-135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 370z trading for 2012 135i

BMS Intake review N55 135i

Hey guys, I want to toss out a quick review of the BMS intake for the mere fact that it's awesome. The install takes less than 5 minutes and you get instant gratification. My car is bone stock with a JB4 stage 2. The intake sound is so amazing and addictive that I barely turn on my stereo. I would rather hear the sound of the turbo spool and BOV. On map 5 I get 1-2psi more boost than I was getting without the intake (granted it's 5 degrees out). I know people mention you may not notice the difference in power, but I did, I could feel it pulling harder. It's worth it even just the sound alone.

This is completely unprompted and unbiased. I'll probably review the JB4 in the near future. The guys at BMS are fantastic and have been so helpful with my JB4 questions/issues. If I can bolster there business a bit, they fully deserve it.

I will admit that I have only had the car for 2 weeks so everything about driving it is great. I traded in my 370z for the 135i and I 'm so glad I did. It's a ton of fun to drive and has so much potential with simple bolt ons. That's why I got it, more power. The overall look of the car is definitely a work in progress.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 09:58 PM   #2
nacaruh
FOUO
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82

It's definitely one of most preferred mods in the n54/n55 community! Any other plans for future mods?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 10:03 PM   #3
rob24ert
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Nice! I had the bms intake, it was really cool with turbo spooling but it was too much for me as a DD. I heard the spool and blow off tooo much IMO. I like the fact that stock is queit until you floor it. Just my 2c

I'm sure with a tune it would really open up the induction sound (I was stock other than perform a e exhaust)

Glad you're enjoying the car =)
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 10:44 PM   #4
370z-135i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecaf View Post
It's definitely one of most preferred mods in the n54/n55 community! Any other plans for future mods?
Yes, of course I have mod ideas for the future. I'm going to do my best to enjoy each one individually and then move onto the next. The Jb4 is amazing, so everything else is just going to make this car exponentially faster. I'd like to get a louder, but still classy exhaust note. The down pipes are such a contributor as far as power is concerned, so I may suck up the excess noise for the excess fun. My Z was obnoxiously loud, so I'm going to tone it down a bit in the 135.

Exterior mods are going to be a must to keep up with the performance aspect. Just tints and a modest drop transform the car nicely. I'd like to paint the rims either shadow black (duplicolor which get's crappy reviews), or a gloss black. I would either plasti dip them or paint them with wheel paint. For the winter in Chicago, that will do the job until I get new rims. Have the duckbill spoiler on the way, and I'd like to change out those side skirts for the bmw performance version. Other than that, I love driving it, and I really enjoy using the forums.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 05:54 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Awesome, glad you are happy with the intake!!
It is one of our most popular products

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 09:03 AM   #6
Enovoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12' 135i - 15' M235i

Agreed BMS intake sounds amazing on N55
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 09:14 AM   #7
nottatroll
Rep
Drives: 135i

Can you make a video under load?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 01:24 PM   #8
370z-135i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottatroll View Post
Can you make a video under load?
I'll take a video revving the motor for sure. I won't be able to get you one actually driving, but you will still get an idea of how good it sounds. During driving conditions, the spool sounds so good. It's subtle, and not obnoxious. I hardly listen to music anymore, I just love the sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 05:06 PM   #9
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

I drove a '72 small block Monte Carlo when I was a kid. Everybody I knew drove a Chebby. We all flipped the covers of our air cleaners over to gain a very substantial increase in horsepower. Vrrroooom vrrroooom, baby.
      01-23-2016, 05:24 PM   #10
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.fabulous View Post
I drove a '72 small block Monte Carlo when I was a kid. Everybody I knew drove a Chebby. We all flipped the covers of our air cleaners over to gain a very substantial increase in horsepower. Vrrroooom vrrroooom, baby.
When I was hanging out with the guys in the muscle car scene, the popular and cheap mod was to use newspaper mail boxes. It was funny seeing the Washington Post flying by on top of a Chevelle.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 10:03 PM   #11
ChillFill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport Coupé

I've been doing some research on the intakes as it's my next mod, I have an N54.

So from what I've read a closed box system is more beneficial as it keeps out the hot air.
Obviously you seem very satisfied with the filter, and for the price I'm seriously considering it. But have you noticed any difference now, that in theory the engine is sucking in hotter air?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 11:07 PM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillFill View Post
I've been doing some research on the intakes as it's my next mod, I have an N54.

So from what I've read a closed box system is more beneficial as it keeps out the hot air.

Obviously you seem very satisfied with the filter, and for the price I'm seriously considering it. But have you noticed any difference now, that in theory the engine is sucking in hotter air?
Thats a myth that has been debunked time and time again. Burger Tuning have posted numerous comparisons to debunk this myth.

Just get a BMS DCI and call it a day

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 11:16 PM   #13
370z-135i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Great questions buddy. As far as air temp is concerned, it's roughly 0-30 degrees here in Chicago, so heat soak is definitely never going to be an issue for me (I ride a motorcycle in the summer). The filter does sit in the stock airbox, and draws air from the oem funnel. The air is sucked directly to the filter from the oem box so I can't imagine heat soak affecting power output much if any.

The benefit of the open filter is the sound. I wouldn't want it muffled under a box. I think 70 percent of the reason I purchased this intake was for the sound (heard it mentioned many times). The noticeable performance boost was a plus for me. I'm sure the freezing cold air temps aren't hurting my case.

You are more than likely only talking a couple horsepower which you wouldn't even notice regardless of the intake you choose. You won't be disappointed my friend.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 11:25 PM   #14
370z-135i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Thats a myth that has been debunked time and time again. Burger Tuning have posted numerous comparisons to debunk this myth.

Just get a BMS DCI and call it a day
I agree, there are so many variables and so many situations that can prove the benefits of a, "short ram intake." I always opt for the shorter intake rather than a cold air. The reason is throttle response and sound. You may get a couple extra horsepower at the top end that 99% of people won't use, but the simple and functional intakes always yield the best street performance.

Also, the sound is intoxicating, and the pull is noticeably harder in map 5. I bought the intake with no expectations as far as performance is concerned, but I was pleasantly surprised.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 10:29 AM   #15
Dylanize
Captain Dutch Rudder
Rep
Drives: AMG

Quote:

The intercooler will bring the temps down too. Now on a N/A engine, I'd probably want a real CAI or a sealed system.
      01-30-2016, 06:47 PM   #16
Boosted135i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I am new to the BMW world as I just purchased my 09 135i. I am looking to make mild to moderate upgrades while I am covered under my extended warranty.
I have been searching for a good intake and would like some input/justification on spending around 80 for dual cones to adapt to factory piping, to around 200 for the CX Racing single filter 3" 2 into 1 pipe or hash oit 300+ for one like the injens?
In the past years I was really into the Honda/Acura scene and never found good enough performance gains from an off brand short ram to a more expensive AEM.
I am also looking at upgrading the charge pipe and BOV...what is the overall best bang for the buck on these items without sacrificing quality, fit, and sound?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 11:14 PM   #17
admirable
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 6MT BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted135i View Post
I am also looking at upgrading the charge pipe and BOV...what is the overall best bang for the buck on these items without sacrificing quality, fit, and sound?
ER CP w/ Turbosmart Raceport.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 12:17 PM   #18
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted135i View Post
Cheapest quality choice would be the VRSF charge pipe with BOV

Evolution Racewerks is another very popular option

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 09:05 PM   #19
Boosted135i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Cheapest quality choice would be the VRSF charge pipe with BOV

Evolution Racewerks is another very popular option
Thank you! I will check these out!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 12:40 PM   #20
csween86
DSC OFF
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, N55, 6MT, MPK

Garage List
I just installed the BMS N55 performance intake the other day... Sounds so sweet! I haven't noticed any change in performance, but the sound is worth it! Install took me more like 25 minutes. I sat there trying to figure out how to get the intake/bracket to line up and screw in properly. I ended up having to take the micro filter and the other cover below that off to allow me room to get in there to line up and tighten it down. I still couldn't get the bracket and air intake to line up completely flush, but the screw is in there good enough... Anyone else have that issue?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 04:42 PM   #21
MisterNickG
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by csween86 View Post
I just installed the BMS N55 performance intake the other day... Sounds so sweet! I haven't noticed any change in performance, but the sound is worth it! Install took me more like 25 minutes. I sat there trying to figure out how to get the intake/bracket to line up and screw in properly. I ended up having to take the micro filter and the other cover below that off to allow me room to get in there to line up and tighten it down. I still couldn't get the bracket and air intake to line up completely flush, but the screw is in there good enough... Anyone else have that issue?
Are you talking about the little bracket that attaches it to the bottom part of the airbox? If so, I had the same issue too, had to leave it 3/4 of the way in or so.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 09:23 PM   #22
csween86
DSC OFF
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, N55, 6MT, MPK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNickG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by csween86 View Post
Are you talking about the little bracket that attaches it to the bottom part of the airbox? If so, I had the same issue too, had to leave it 3/4 of the way in or so.
Exactly! Glad I'm not the only one.
Appreciate 0