BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-18-2017, 10:16 AM   #1
brytom
Level 1 BMW Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 | N52K | 6MT

Post ///M Performance Suspension Specs, Pics, Install

Hey all, my first post here.
I picked up a 2010 128i a couple weeks back with the sport option and just started working on it. First upgrade I did was replacing the stock sport suspension with the ///M Performance suspension with springs.
I am a dealer tech and picked up everything at work. I haven't found too much out about the kit, trying to find out more and share what I've found.

The kit I purchased was 33500444831 with 31336788891 (T1) front springs and 33536788898 (T1) rear springs. According to BMW, the new setup will lower the vehicle by 10mm compared to the sport suspension and 25mm compared to standard vehicles. The spring rate is 34% stiffer than the sport setup and 48% stiffer than standard. Spring travel is 26.5mm front axle, 12mm rear axle.

I went through some technical date from AIR this week and here's a chart for 2010 models except 135is. I specify because I didn't go through every years data to compare. Ride height is measured from the bottom of the wheel to the wheel arch.

Series Standard Suspension
Front- 16"- 579mm, 17"- 595mm, 18"- 607mm
Rear- 16"- 572mm, 17"- 587mm, 18"- 599mm
Sport Suspension
Front- 16"- 564mm, 17"- 580mm, 18"- 592mm
Rear- 16"- 556mm, 17"- 572mm, 18"- 584mm
///M Performance Suspension
Front- 16"-554mm, 17"-570mm, 18"- 592mm
Rear- 16"- 546mm, 17"- 562mm, 18"- 574mm

Pic of the kit un-boxed with the added springs

So, i tackled the front sway bar first. BMW glued smaller bushings than the ones I need for my vehicle (or the brackets currently used on it.) So I had to cut them off. It was a massive pain.

Bottom being the original front sway bar, top being the new one from the kit

The kit comes with almost everything to do the front strut replacement. You need to re-use the upper hat and the swivel mount. Kit came with new upper and lower spring insulators, dust shields and bump stops.

Pic of the new front spring (left), stock spring (right)

This kit for my vehicle did not come with a rear sway bar. I did not take a picture of the rear springs side-by-side. The springs were the same thickness, same height and had the same number of coils. The rear shocks came with the dust shields, bump stops and body grommets/ bushing. It did not come with the upper nor the lower mount.

Install was pretty straight forward as I have access to all the special tools. Think my labor clocked in just below four hours for everything, most of it being getting the front struts out of the car and taking them apart and re-building the new ones. Pictures do not do the color of the springs justice. They are almost a baby puke yellow with a hint of green. They aren't pretty standalone.

I measured the ride height before and after install, both times with a full tank of gas. My car has 80k miles and I assume the suspension is completely stock. The front went from 579mm with the sport suspension to 572mm after a couple days of driving and letting everything settle. The rear went from 577mm with the sport supension to 570mm.

I took it out on the back roads and had a lot of fun. Overall, the suspension is not too much stiffer over bumps which I prefer. This is my DD and I don't plan on doing any tracks days or anything. The decrease in the lift, dive and body roll is what I found to be most noticeable.

During my back roads driving yesterday, I waited at the bottom of a hill for slower cars to get far enough ahead that they wouldn't slow me down. A guy in one of those Scion/ Toyota GT 86 things decided to do the same. He rolled out in front of me and it was on. Turn for turn, that car was slowing me down. I suspect I could have made every tight turn of the climb back up about 5 MPH faster than that car could with a much lower center of gravity.

Overall, right now I am very happy with the setup. Although I wasn't excited to drop the rear subframe to replace the rear sway bar, I wish the kit came with one. The stock one is so thin. I suspect upgrading it will do wonders. For me though, this kit is otherwise perfect. I don't want to mess with coilovers again. I just want something I can install and not have to toy with but do a great job of keeping the car at a reasonable ride height and not destroy my spine every time I hit bump.

Pic immediately after install

I can continue to update this post if you all have more questions. Hope this helps!

Last edited by brytom; 06-25-2017 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: Added more pics, info
Appreciate 3
Esteban43592.00
Fakemike368.50
      06-18-2017, 12:10 PM   #2
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Glad you're happy with the Performance suspension. I have it as well and had mine installed a few years ago. I've gone back and forth but overall I'm happy with it. It's very conservative and in the end that's what I wanted.

Your car looks great btw.
      06-18-2017, 12:31 PM   #3
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Congrats on the purchase! Looks good as it sits now.

The BMWPS is on my "in the future" list. Don't really want much drop from the Sport suspension on my car currently

I might go with just the BMWP springs paired with Bilstein or Koni shocks. In case I decide to go used on the springs, can you tell me if the your BMWP springs were T1 on both front and rear and how your car is optioned? My car is AT (I know= mistake) with sunroof, I Drive, power seats.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 04:42 PM   #4
brytom
Level 1 BMW Tech
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Your car looks great btw.
Thanks. Still has a ways to go. Plans for LED parking lights, black line tail lights, have Black kidney grilles coming in Tuesday. Hopefully a set of BBS/ BMW wheels are the big purchase next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
Can you tell me if the your BMWP springs were T1 on both front and rear and how your car is optioned?
I don't know what you mean by T1 on both front and rear. Please explain.

My car I picked up with 80k on the odometer. Has the N52K, 6 speed manual, Sport Package so it has the rear sway bar, manual sport seats, grey headliner. Think the only other options it has are Xenon, shadowline trim, black interior trim and the alarm. It does not have a sunroof, vinyl black interior. The options list was a very short list when I dug it up on DCSNet. Very base model and how I would prefer it. Only option I will miss over my 235i is the Harmon Kardon sound system.
      06-18-2017, 06:16 PM   #5
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brytompkins View Post

I don't know what you mean by T1 on both front and rear. Please explain.

My car I picked up with 80k on the odometer. Has the N52K, 6 speed manual, Sport Package so it has the rear sway bar, manual sport seats, grey headliner. Think the only other options it has are Xenon, shadowline trim, black interior trim and the alarm. It does not have a sunroof, vinyl black interior. The options list was a very short list when I dug it up on DCSNet. Very base model and how I would prefer it. Only option I will miss over my 235i is the Harmon Kardon sound system.
BMW uses a letter then number on springs, at least on E82. For example my springs are D6 and L3 front and rear. BMWP springs it's usually T followed by a number. Only reason I asked is sometimes when used springs show up, the seller only knows the alpha-numberic designation. With you showing part numbers, it helps me anyway.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 11:02 PM   #6
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Great job, thanks for posting here; always nice to get a dealer tech's take on things. The M3 bits for the front and rear will add a lot of precision and feel to the suspension now that you've got the dampers and springs out of the way. Looking forward to reading more!

ianc
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 01:48 PM   #7
brytom
Level 1 BMW Tech
United_States
Rep

Updated the OP with more pics and a ton more info.
      07-11-2017, 08:37 PM   #8
3k1n
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Subaru Sti

What alignment specs did you use?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 11:28 AM   #9
brytom
Level 1 BMW Tech
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3k1n View Post
What alignment specs did you use?
I actually haven't done one yet since the upgrade. I was going to let it settle, loosen all the bushing and re-tighten them at the new ride height. Just haven't had time. I assume there is a setting for the Performance suspension built in to the alignment software so I'll probably just use that.
      07-13-2017, 04:04 AM   #10
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by brytom View Post
I actually haven't done one yet since the upgrade. I was going to let it settle, loosen all the bushing and re-tighten them at the new ride height. Just haven't had time. I assume there is a setting for the Performance suspension built in to the alignment software so I'll probably just use that.
BMW KDS has an option for SZP5A. Not all non-KDS systems will have it.
Appreciate 0