02-19-2016, 07:33 PM   #155
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1 View Post
Pobst also dumped on the 1M when he did lightning lap--in fact, he said he "hated it"

Yeah, the 1M is not for everyone. Pobst looked at it as a track car and he's right, it's not really a track car, it's a road warrior. I know many track it and do well but there really are better "track-centric" cars in my humble opinion.

Also, I wondered if Pobst had traction control on because let's be honest here, the base traction control is very, very intrusive.

The motor trend guys were taken by the engine which is really impressive sounding. So the 1M had a 97 out of 100 approval rating...that's amazing for a car that was built to satisfy a very small community. BMW built this for small group of people and it became a huge success. They were even worried it wouldn't sell enough because it was so unlike the other M cars.

So it really is not for everyone whereas the M2 IS for a broader group. It's for the guys that want manual or automatic. Sport modes, iDrive, etc etc. and it will also have a high approval because it is a really well thought out. It is a great car, sexy, fast, well thought out and brilliant combination of engineering and marketing but for me it won't have that "special" thing.

For example the GT40 Won LEMANS. The FORD GT is faster, better looking, more modern just as desirable and appreciating in price. I love the Ford GT and would kill to have one in my Garage. I would probably prefer it to the original GT40 because it's more modern and a little bigger BUT despite being a better car, the GT40 remains special because of what it represented in the period it was made. The 1M was a skunk-works project made out of love for a small group of people that wanted a lighter, more focused, fun car and it will be special in that respect no matter how much "better" the next generation of cars are.

2 cents.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2016, 01:59 AM   #156
Benja
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Yeah, the 1M is not for everyone. Pobst looked at it as a track car and he's right, it's not really a track car, it's a road warrior. I know many track it and do well but there really are better "track-centric" cars in my humble opinion.
Got to agree with this. I drove my 1M to a trackday at Donington Park yesterday. The 1M sat outside the pit garage and I was not even tempted to take it on circuit. The Caterham R300 IS a track car and you only have to look at this pic to see why it's more fun/focussed/faster/cheaper as a track car. Likewise I was more than happy to jump in the 1M for the drive home where it was absolutely in its element; on the road.

Appreciate 2
      02-22-2016, 05:49 PM   #157
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, Radical SR3

Once you've driven a proper track/race car, all road cars are pretty disappointing on the track. 1M is not different, just need to take it as what it is; an awesome road car that is capable at the track if you want to give it the beans.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 06:53 PM   #158
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunky_monkey View Post
Once you've driven a proper track/race car, all road cars are pretty disappointing on the track. 1M is not different, just need to take it as what it is; an awesome road car that is capable at the track if you want to give it the beans.
If I can only keep 1 car that I can track occasionally, 1M it is - all variants of Cayman aren't as practical. Now M2 is something that can do just well but probably even better to live with daily. I'm not sure a current 1M owner would replace it with the M2 though
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 07:24 PM   #159
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, Radical SR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP 1///M View Post
If I can only keep 1 car that I can track occasionally, 1M it is - all variants of Cayman aren't as practical. Now M2 is something that can do just well but probably even better to live with daily. I'm not sure a current 1M owner would replace it with the M2 though
Agreed wholeheartedly, though if I had the funds an 911 RS would probably take its mantle.

I'd definitely be happy buying an M2 if I wasn't lucky enough to have a 1M. But I do, so I won't
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 11:42 PM   #160
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunky_monkey View Post
Agreed wholeheartedly, though if I had the funds an 911 RS would probably take its mantle.

I'd definitely be happy buying an M2 if I wasn't lucky enough to have a 1M. But I do, so I won't

YES! The M2 is great, love it. Happy for the guys that get it but for those of us that have the 1M and really like it, there is no real desire to swap it for an M2 especially the way BMW USA has forced a heavier version on the US market than in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 01:28 AM   #161
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Quote:
YES! The M2 is great, love it. Happy for the guys that get it but for those of us that have the 1M and really like it, there is no real desire to swap it for an M2 especially the way BMW USA has forced a heavier version on the US market than in Europe.
All great points, and I'm jealous of you 1M owners. As an owner of past M cars, each special in its own way, I've always regretted not getting a 1M when they came out in 2011. I continue to watch the for-sale ads for that "special one" -- but, like nachob, it must be NO NAV.

Now, after reading all of the great M2 reviews, the "practical side" of me (if there really is such a thing when you are talking 1Ms and M2s) considers that for the same amount of money as a used 1M I can get a new M2 with a four year warranty and four/three years of maintenance. Clearly it's easier if you already own a 1M, but such is my dilemma of now trying to decide 1M vs M2...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 11:49 AM   #162
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouper View Post
All great points, and I'm jealous of you 1M owners. As an owner of past M cars, each special in its own way, I've always regretted not getting a 1M when they came out in 2011. I continue to watch the for-sale ads for that "special one" -- but, like nachob, it must be NO NAV.

Now, after reading all of the great M2 reviews, the "practical side" of me (if there really is such a thing when you are talking 1Ms and M2s) considers that for the same amount of money as a used 1M I can get a new M2 with a four year warranty and four/three years of maintenance. Clearly it's easier if you already own a 1M, but such is my dilemma of now trying to decide 1M vs M2...
I love the NO NAV part, manual seats, no motorized mirrors. To me that means I am making the effort to make it as light and focused as possible. I also think the cockpit stands out as classical, clean and beautiful compared to what you see these days. So for me it has high value. If it doesn't have high value, then the M2 with warranty is a no brainer. It looks fantastic and having a warranty during the payment period is awesome especially if you do Euro delivery. I agonized on dropping the M2 but once I saw the cockpit in my current 1M, I knew it was for me.

Also, if you plan to daily drive, the M2 is better. It is stressful when you have a special car like the 1M that is rare, low parts volume and irreplaceable. While the M2 is very special, I wouldn't be as stressed out with it as I am with the 1M so I have my old 330i ZHP as my daily and the 1M for weekends. I hope that helps: Here are some cockpit pics so you can make up your own mind. I know most find the cluttered, busy modern cockpit better or more luxurious. I find it tacky unfocused and just like any other car offered today.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-26-2016, 12:06 PM   #163
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
the M2 is a half-to-three-quarters-ass imitation of the 1M.

i have ready virtually every review i can of the M2 and i have never heard anyone say that they prefer the M2 to the 1M.....if anything, people keep talking about how great the 1M was and how limited it was in production.

Car and Driver said:
"On long, winding esses, our thoughts wandered back to the late 1-series M, the M2’s predecessor. That little car still represents the best of BMW, a standard-bearer of the BMWs we knew and fell hard for before electrically assisted power steering"

The reality is that the M2 is simply a 1M for the masses.....nothing more nothing less. Will it be a good car? YES. Is it worth having a stroke over? NO.

If i was currently in the market for a $55k BMW.....i would STILL buy a used 1M. over and over and over again......

My dealership keeps pestering me trying to get me into an M2 and said they will give me the first allocation and great pricing on it.....and i have 0 interest.

oh and YES i am back
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2016, 12:44 PM   #164
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
the M2 is a half-to-three-quarters-ass imitation of the 1M.

The reality is that the M2 is simply a 1M for the masses.....nothing more nothing less. Will it be a good car? YES. Is it worth having a stroke over? NO.

If i was currently in the market for a $55k BMW.....i would STILL buy a used 1M. over and over and over again......

My dealership keeps pestering me trying to get me into an M2 and said they will give me the first allocation and great pricing on it.....and i have 0 interest.

oh and YES i am back
Oh, come on...don't hold back like you always do! stop being so nice and tell us what you really think!

Oh, and welcome back. It's been kind of quiet and civil without you....
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2016, 02:43 PM   #165
buckeyegirl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M Coupe:) Jeep for Winter

I want one

I think it's just fabulous looking, I kinda really want one........ I don't think I can part with my 1M though and I just don't really need two. I think the 1M appeals to me out of the story of the car and how limited it was and how darned hard to get it was. I will probably feel glad when I see dozens of M2's everywhere. I think I've seen two other 1M coupes ever.

I think the styling is great though!

Last edited by buckeyegirl; 02-26-2016 at 02:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 05:32 PM   #166
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
Great conversations and insight into the brains of fellow 1M'rs......I also would like to have M2 in my stable as I love the blue color but with two cars with similar size and characteristics, just doesn't make sense unless I was a collector and wanted a fun daily driver which my 1M is not....it only goes out on special occasions like tonight for my 24th wedding anniversary...just hope the valet can drive a standard ...then again do I want to chance a valet with the car?????

Keep the comments going....
      02-27-2016, 02:33 AM   #167
Trond
Private
Norway
Rep

The 1M really engages me when driving in particular on spirited drives in mountains. It is fantastic fun and almost like the car is talking to me. On the limits the car is really at is best and when knowing the car quite easy to handle but can sometimes scare you...

However lurking along on highways and for transportation I feel almost guilty driving the 1M. And I have the feeling the 1M tells me - what the hell are you doing with me ? Wearing me down on boring driving - shame on you.

As I have not driven the M2 yet I cannot really judge, but from what I have read so far it is a fast and fun iPad car. So possibly the perfect combination with a 1M ?
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2016, 03:14 AM   #168
Nick65
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trond View Post
The 1M really engages me when driving in particular on spirited drives in mountains. It is fantastic fun and almost like the car is talking to me. On the limits the car is really at is best and when knowing the car quite easy to handle but can sometimes scare you...

However lurking along on highways and for transportation I feel almost guilty driving the 1M. And I have the feeling the 1M tells me - what the hell are you doing with me ? Wearing me down on boring driving - shame on you.

As I have not driven the M2 yet I cannot really judge, but from what I have read so far it is a fast and fun iPad car. So possibly the perfect combination with a 1M ?
"ipad car" Good phrase that
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 10:55 AM   #169
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I love the NO NAV part, manual seats, no motorized mirrors. To me that means I am making the effort to make it as light and focused as possible. I also think the cockpit stands out as classical, clean and beautiful compared to what you see these days. So for me it has high value. If it doesn't have high value, then the M2 with warranty is a no brainer. It looks fantastic and having a warranty during the payment period is awesome especially if you do Euro delivery. I agonized on dropping the M2 but once I saw the cockpit in my current 1M, I knew it was for me.

Also, if you plan to daily drive, the M2 is better. It is stressful when you have a special car like the 1M that is rare, low parts volume and irreplaceable. While the M2 is very special, I wouldn't be as stressed out with it as I am with the 1M so I have my old 330i ZHP as my daily and the 1M for weekends. I hope that helps: Here are some cockpit pics so you can make up your own mind. I know most find the cluttered, busy modern cockpit better or more luxurious. I find it tacky unfocused and just like any other car offered today.
Thanks for the input, nachob. And I agree - the 1M dash sans Nav looks so much cleaner than the M2. Your pic looks very familiar to me, as it is the same view I have in my 135is.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 12:59 PM   #170
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouper View Post
Thanks for the input, nachob. And I agree - the 1M dash sans Nav looks so much cleaner than the M2. Your pic looks very familiar to me, as it is the same view I have in my 135is.
I loooooooove the 135is. I almost bought one with BMW performance exhaust from a guy here in San Diego. It sounded great and the cockpit was the same and used it was a much better value than 1M. But the quicker rack in the 1M was noticeable to me and the suspension. Was a little crunchier. Otherwise. Stellar car and more raw than 2 series. That's a keeper especially if you got blue!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 01:30 PM   #171
Nick65
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4

I had a 135 coupe - brilliant car and great value for money. You don't see that many in the UK, and even less coupes. One of BMW's best kept secrets....

I sold mine to a guy who's now a good friend. He's had the JB4 installed, just this week had a meth kit put in, carbon bonnet, and a full wrap, cool wheels, an amazing custom exhaust and other engine and body mods. Makes about 475 bhp (so far....!). Some photos of his build here

https://www.instagram.com/mountaincourse/

Last edited by Nick65; 02-27-2016 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 01:57 PM   #172
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

The way I read the reviews the M2 is a well developed more sensible 1M. I like the mischief in the 1M
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2016, 11:40 PM   #173
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep

4MULA_1

Full review @ http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-valley-review

"The M2 is a modern BMW, which means the steering is a bit removed and the stereo plays engine sounds. But it has the look, if not the irrepressible soul, of the 1-series M. It's a shrunken M4, both in size and price. An M4 starts at $66,695 and the M2 costs $52,695. Get the M2 and save the $14,000 for a rainy day."

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 02:58 AM   #174
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1'M Blue View Post
link broken.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 05:26 PM   #175
Artemis