05-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #45
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrat View Post
if the 1M got an M specific engine, or even the M3 V8, the complaint would be, nice car but, too bad the 1M costs $53K, that is way too close to the M3...

BMW knew this, so to keep it at $46K they didn't touch the engine, fine by me. And if the next 4-cyl 1M has M-specific motor, fine.
What a project that would be. Shoehorn a S65 in the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #46
WyattHerb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish M3ffia View Post
You are so wrong. This turboengine will only look dated in the future by better new turbos. Bmw are going towards turbos for the whole range so this car will not be anything special.
Congratulations on completely missing the point, oh wise future seeing sage of 1M hatred and E30 fanboyism. You've obviously been driving your 1M daily and seem dissapointed? You don't have one? Oh. Perhaps you are just another future E9x M3 owner who is worried about this car stepping on your toes. Let me know how your plug and play 70 hp goes in your NA V8.
This car I could see going the way of the Supra. Just not popular or special ever.

Yogijet has it right.
      05-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #47
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

saw 2 of these today at bimmerfest and i had a chance to really look the car over inside and out, and yes its a very very impressive car, bmw def created a great car with the 1m

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #48
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan '11 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattHerb View Post
Congratulations on completely missing the point, oh wise future seeing sage of 1M hatred and E30 fanboyism. You've obviously been driving your 1M daily and seem dissapointed? You don't have one? Oh. Perhaps you are just another future E9x M3 owner who is worried about this car stepping on your toes. Let me know how your plug and play 70 hp goes in your NA V8.
This car I could see going the way of the Supra. Just not popular or special ever.

Yogijet has it right.
I am not following your point, you seem to be all over the place.
And the 1M does not in any sense step on the M3 toes.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 11:48 PM   #49
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mer View Post
Looking backwards, a car is special because of what it was capable of when it was introduced - not what subsequently superceeds it with more modern technology in the future. The E30 M3 is the perfect example.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 11:52 PM   #50
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrat View Post
if the 1M got an M specific engine, or even the M3 V8, the complaint would be, nice car but, too bad the 1M costs $53K, that is way too close to the M3...

BMW knew this, so to keep it at $46K they didn't touch the engine, fine by me. And if the next 4-cyl 1M has M-specific motor, fine.
Agree 100%
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 04:37 AM   #51
WyattHerb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauldramos View Post
Apologies. My point was that the 1M could have success in the aftermarket like the Supra did years after its end of production. And you are absolutely right, it does not step on the M3 toes. But it might be competitive with a tune, particularly 10 years down the road, and some might find that attractive.
      05-15-2011, 07:10 AM   #52
evolution80
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 silverstone

Garage List
since i have seen an E36 M3 pull away from a 911 in front of me on the autobahn about 13years ago i always wanted an m3 - i did not know much about cars back then and just thought it was cool having a high performance car which more or less looks like a regular car

some people around here have E30 M3s in mint condition - even a sport evolution in my neighborhood they are like brand new - they would never trade them for anything else

M3s have always been something special - but truth is they got more powerful but also heavier over the time adding more and more comfort and safety features like all new cars

at first i was dissappointed when i found out they will "only" use the n54 for the 1M and it will not have m3 seats and no carbon fibre roof - but that is all about the cost factor

i almost ordered an e92M3 but i changed to a 1M - because IMO it IS going towards the idea of the e30s - and tests and expierences from the first owners already proof it is a good car

no point in arguing - the m3 has always been the benchmark - but the 1M is already something special

enjoy your cars
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 07:12 AM   #53
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Turbo View Post
If BMW actually bothered to give brand new parts to 1M instead of blindly taking them from another M model, M3 (which is a first by the way), I would have more respect for 1M.

The fact that them not even bothering to give 1M different wheels tells you something. I understand the engine replacement wouldn't be cost effective for a short production window but there are other parts like wheels, suspension, steering wheel, pedals, etc that they could easily create new parts. What did they do instead? They stole them from the M3, the car that they knew is successful and proved itself. So no risk of people not liking the rims or brakes not performing well. In my opinion, an M should have its own unique characteristics and this car doesn't. This is probably why its not called M1, but 1M like X5M or X6M. Its not a true super car, but an affordable patched up version of an entry level 1 series.

At least they could give 1M a different set of wheels! Come on! How expensive is that? They should have made something unique about this car.

No matter what autoblog does or how this car performs, in the eyes of the car enthusiasts, this will always be the case. 1M will never be treated same way as M5 or M6. Sad, but true.
These aren't just the regular M3 wheels. These are the competition wheels.

You may as well ask why stick the competition wheels on the M3.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 07:30 AM   #54
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Quote:
If BMW actually bothered to give brand new parts to 1M instead of blindly taking them from another M model, M3 (which is a first by the way), I would have more respect for 1M.

The fact that them not even bothering to give 1M different wheels tells you something. I understand the engine replacement wouldn't be cost effective for a short production window but there are other parts like wheels, suspension, steering wheel, pedals, etc that they could easily create new parts. What did they do instead? They stole them from the M3, the car that they knew is successful and proved itself. So no risk of people not liking the rims or brakes not performing well. In my opinion, an M should have its own unique characteristics and this car doesn't. This is probably why its not called M1, but 1M like X5M or X6M. Its not a true super car, but an affordable patched up version of an entry level 1 series.

At least they could give 1M a different set of wheels! Come on! How expensive is that? They should have made something unique about this car.

No matter what autoblog does or how this car performs, in the eyes of the car enthusiasts, this will always be the case. 1M will never be treated same way as M5 or M6. Sad, but true.
Man, you have a knack for hyperbole. "Blindly"? "Stole"? Do you remember who BMW are and why you drive an M3 (ZCP/DCT)? It's the same BMW that made the 1M and badged it accordingly. A car is more than the sum of its parts and definitely more than a 'unique' physical part. From all accounts, it seems they've introduced that uniqueness you're after where it matters - in the 'drive' - for a big win.

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 07:34 AM   #55
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

If the 1M isn't such a big deal to the M3 crowd as they say...why do so many fell the need to defend the their M3s?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 08:04 AM   #56
evolution80
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 silverstone

Garage List
why disrespect a new product from a brand we all like obviously?

additionally many new 1M owners are M3 owners or previous M3 owners as well - and they have only good things to say about the new 1M

enjoy your cars
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 08:42 AM   #57
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash83 View Post
I still think an M car should have a new engine.. if they were targeting 335HP they should have made a new non Turbo I6 3.5L to get that horse power..
And how much do you think the price of the car would then have been with a such bespoke engine for a mere 12 month production run....

And BMW being a European manufacturer, actually want to sell this car in Europe as well...... and n/a performance engines are being killed off by emissions legislation in the EU, so a new n/a engine just isn't an option anymore.
      05-15-2011, 08:49 AM   #58
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:

Good rant

Shame it's all bollocks
      05-15-2011, 08:59 AM   #59
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

Quote:
I'd be saying the same thing if BMW took M5 parts and put them in M3 and just made some minor adjustments. So many of the 1M parts are identical replicas of the M3 with minor tweaks and adjustments. No other M car has this, but then again, the definition of an "M car" has changed with the 1M if you consider 1M a true M car.

I am not defending M3 in anyway, and to be honest with you, M3 doesn't need defending against 1M even you know this.

The whole statement of "1M over M3" is the reason why I wanted to post here. And the reason for that is obviously marketing. If autoblog instead said "1M is not a true M but a patched up version of 135 for people who cannot afford M3 and lacks the spirit of a real M car", they probably wouldn't be treated right by BMW going forward.

Anyways, my point was actually the wheels. I just don't like the fact that seeing another M's wheels in another car without any modifications. If my memory serves me right, this is in fact the first time something like this happened, correct? Is there any other M car that BMW made which simply inherited all these parts as they were from another M?
Have you driven a 1M? I think your points are irrelevant as you are far from a subject expert and are simply posting your opinion. I have driven both and both are different but amazing in their own way.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 09:16 AM   #60
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I am just stating my opinion which is "it'd be better if at least some parts of 1M was unique to it".

To each his own.
i wonder which other BMW has the same front and rear bumpers? nope none...so its unique to the 1M.

Does the M3 have the air curtain technology? NOPE.

If BMW were to design new parts for the first 1M, we wont be taking delivery now, who knows when. We can just hope the next 1M will be unique.

Still dont know what the problem is, both cars are great cars, both cars fit different needs, but they are both great M cars. Who cares where the parts come from, the final package is all that matters.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #61
1Mer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Of course 1M is amazing, a civic would be amazing if you took all that from an M3 and gave them to it. I never denied the fact that 1M not being amazing or not driving amazing. You are missing the point.

I am just stating my opinion which is "it'd be better if at least some parts of 1M was unique to it".

To each his own.
It would also be better if it cost less than a standard 135i
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 09:24 AM   #62
M3Power79
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 1M sold - M4 MW DKG ordered

Quote:

Frustrated?
"... on the smiles-per-mile charts, the 1-series M coupe can't be beat. It is a challenging piece, a triple-X-rated driver's machine for semi-professionals. Its handling balance provides an open invitation to indulge in latent oversteer, and provides an opportunity to separate the men from the boys. It is an absolute hoot on the track and an addictive plaything on your favorite twisty back road. "
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 09:27 AM   #63
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Quote:
I'd be saying the same thing if BMW took M5 parts and put them in M3 and just made some minor adjustments. So many of the 1M parts are identical replicas of the M3 with minor tweaks and adjustments. No other M car has this, but then again, the definition of an "M car" has changed with the 1M if you consider 1M a true M car.

I am not defending M3 in anyway, and to be honest with you, M3 doesn't need defending against 1M even you know this.

The whole statement of "1M over M3" is the reason why I wanted to post here. And the reason for that is obviously marketing. If autoblog instead said "1M is not a true M but a patched up version of 135 for people who cannot afford M3 and lacks the spirit of a real M car", they probably wouldn't be treated right by BMW going forward.

Anyways, my point was actually the wheels. I just don't like the fact that seeing another M's wheels in another car without any modifications. If my memory serves me right, this is in fact the first time something like this happened, correct? Is there any other M car that BMW made which simply inherited all these parts as they were from another M?
Are you seriously worried about the competition wheels? BMW chose the best available wheel for the 1M, and that's a good thing.

The parts that were taken from the M3 are proven to be superior for the purpose of the M3 and also for the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 09:27 AM   #64
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan '11 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattHerb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauldramos View Post
Apologies. My point was that the 1M could have success in the aftermarket like the Supra did years after its end of production. And you are absolutely right, it does not step on the M3 toes. But it might be competitive with a tune, particularly 10 years down the road, and some might find that attractive.
Agreed 100%.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 09:48 AM   #65
1Mer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///1M View Post
Are you seriously worried about the competition wheels?
I think he's worried about the young upstart 1M having the same wheels as his precious M3 ZCP. It's the loss of M3 exclusivity that bothers him - that and the fact that the majority of the 1M community don't even care!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #66
1Mer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mer View Post
I think he's worried about the young upstart 1M having the same wheels as his precious M3 ZCP. It's the loss of M3 exclusivity that bothers him - that and the fact that the majority of the 1M community don't even care!
Mind you, I bet some 1M owners would be complaining if BMW started offering Alcantara trim or 1M tuning upgrades for the 135i
Appreciate 0