NC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
Hey guys,

I dropped by my dealer and they tried to tell me that the snap in doesn't support the iPhone 4S yet. Apparently there's going to be an iDrive update in March that should address this (???). Seems like they just wanted to get rid of me, to be honest.

Does anyone with an iPhone 4S have a working module (Music, Video AND BMW Apps)? If so, could you list the exact model of the module? (on the back).

Are all the people having problems because they have a 4S?
See post number 61. Everything working fine with my iPhone 4S. Pictures show the adapter information.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #90
hybris4u
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 1-serie M Coupé and BMW X5

Mine is messing again today. Intermittent. Sometimes nothing, no loading no nothing. Sometimes loading only and sometimes everything works.

My feeling is that this might be software based. Talked to BMW today and a technician that knows the connected drive parts. He was going to do some research.

He said there are not specific updates for iPhone 4s in the march update. That is wrong. He hinted that there are updates to apps and other general things.

He was start talking about battery. That it could be related to low battery and the driving style. As the car is just one week and don't buy that. But he was going to measure the battery next week when Im in for other things.

Anyway just want to confirm that its issues. The version of the adapter is 2.0 and the serial start with "P" something.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 09:50 AM   #91
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris4u
Mine is messing again today. Intermittent. Sometimes nothing, no loading no nothing. Sometimes loading only and sometimes everything works.

My feeling is that this might be software based. Talked to BMW today and a technician that knows the connected drive parts. He was going to do some research.

He said there are not specific updates for iPhone 4s in the march update. That is wrong. He hinted that there are updates to apps and other general things.

He was start talking about battery. That it could be related to low battery and the driving style. As the car is just one week and don't buy that. But he was going to measure the battery next week when Im in for other things.

Anyway just want to confirm that its issues. The version of the adapter is 2.0 and the serial start with "P" something.
Again, thats why i suspect possible QA issues with the dock adapters. The battery being an issue makes no sense. I doubt it would be software related. Presumably we have same ios and idrive updates. Firmware on the dock also seems unlikely given the intermittent nature. Have you tried another adapter, maybe at dealer or a friends?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #92
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC View Post
See post number 61. Everything working fine with my iPhone 4S. Pictures show the adapter information.

Ok, comparing to Post #61, it seems that both adapters are version 2.0 adapters, however, post #61's adapter was made in July where mine was made in June.

Comparison:

Working (with iPhone 4S) adapter:

Non working (with iPhone 4S) adapter (mine):

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #93
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

I have tried two adapters. The first did not work at all. The second is the one in the car now that is intermittent. Both says 2.0 on the back. Not checked manufacturing dates. Will try a third adapter. But it seem really strange that I would have two faulty ones... Tried another iPhone 4s with the same issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #94
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

Mine is still acting strange. Works sometimes and don't sometimes. It even disconnect while driving sometimes. Really intermittent..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 07:29 AM   #95
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

Now I have tried three adapters and all have the same issue. Works sometimes but most often don't. Intermittent.

For you that work you have iPhone 4s? 5.01? No "pawn/hack"? Its always working for you? No intermittent disconnect? (you know the iPhone not connected to power "pling"

I need to book a time to check the car if I cannot solve this...

Really annoying!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #96
NC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris4u View Post
Now I have tried three adapters and all have the same issue. Works sometimes but most often don't. Intermittent.

For you that work you have iPhone 4s? 5.01? No "pawn/hack"? Its always working for you? No intermittent disconnect? (you know the iPhone not connected to power "pling"

I need to book a time to check the car if I cannot solve this...

Really annoying!
iPhone 4S
IOS v5.01
Not hacked
Always working - never had any problems or disconnections.

You may want to examine the connector in the well where the adapter connects to ensure there are no issues there.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #97
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

Have to book a time for BMW to check it. Hate this with a brand new car.

Update: Its going to be checked by BMW today 2012-02-03. Still have a very intermittent connectivity when using the media adapter. Works excellent over BT.

Last edited by hybris4u; 02-03-2012 at 12:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #98
danzzz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 F13 640i

Hi guys,

I have a media version one with iPhone 4S (iOS 5.01). Please....please help me figure out how to play YouTube videos with the adapter? I have DVDinMotion installed.

Many thanks!
04' Space Gray Z4 2.5i
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #99
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

Today my 1M was at BMW to check what is wrong. The connected up the car. The local dealer could not see any errors so they had to connect up the BMW technicians (central not the dealers people). They can obviously see more information. They did see some errors and now they have ordered a new controller unit for the car.

Meaning my issue seems to have nothing to do with the Media Adapter.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #100
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep

I'm returning my old adapter and getting one through my local dealer.

The parts guy I spoke with claims that even though it's a snap in adapter, I still need to "get the adapter initialized" with service. I'm obviously going to try and get around this, but did anyone else have to do this? Sounds like a scam. Then again, I wonder if that's why my current adapter doesn't work properly?

I find it really funny that I paid for Smart Phone integration at time of purchase, had to dish out another $300 for a snap in adapter and perhaps pay for "initialization" services to make it work together. What a load of .....
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #101
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

You might also have problems with the controller unit... Seems there might be some other problem than the media adapter...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 03:03 AM   #102
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
Quote:
Today my 1M was at BMW to check what is wrong...They did see some errors and now they have ordered a new controller unit for the car...Meaning my issue seems to have nothing to do with the Media Adapter.
Please update the thread when you determine if the controller is at fault. If so, then perhaps I have a similar issue. Any technical details from your dealer's diagnostic evaluation which I can provide to my dealer would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #103
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

They have ordered the controller unit and its going to get replaced at the same time as my run-in service in the end of February. Funny that the local dealer just can see some diagnostics. He said there was no errors at all. But then they called the central BMW technicians that seem to be some kind of second line support. They found errors and ordered the new controller unit. I don't know any more details than that. I will ask when Im in for service but that is in a couple of weeks.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #104
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the info hybris4u... Please let us know if it fixes your problems. Do you know what kind of problems the tech found? What were the symptoms you were having? Same as everyone else, where the snap in didn't work with Apps, but would work 70% of the time for iPod connectivity?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 11:58 PM   #105
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

Mine worked with apps when it worked. It was like "not loading the phone or anything" to "loading only" to "everything works". The last media adapter actually worked even worse as it the two former was either fully working or not working at all. The latest one did add the "loading only". Very intermittent when it works or not.

I will keep you posted but its like three weeks until the service.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #106
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep

So my dealer followed up with BMW Tech and they finally got back to the dealer. They know about a problem with the Snap In adapters. Apparently it's related to a diode or something. My dealer told me there's a whole new part being released within the next 2 months.

Also, my dealer ordered 3 snap in adapters and managed to get one with an August 2011 build date, which works flawlessly so far in my 1M. He told me he'll call me when the new part gets released... I hope it fits the 1M better then the current media adapter!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #107
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

They have changed the media controller unit in the boot. No change and still not working. Today they checked the car again and found that the issues seems to be in the elbow rest where the media adapter is plugged in. They need to replace it as it seem to be some issue with the wiring they said. So the story continues...

Not sure if this is ok in a factory new car...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 01:19 AM   #108
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

Not anyone else with issues with BMW apps? Intermittent loading of the phone in the media adapter? Mine was very intermittent and in the end almost never worked in the media adapter. Not even charging the battery.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 01:49 AM   #109
CDR_UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Not anyone else with issues with BMW apps? Intermittent loading of the phone in the media adapter? Mine was very intermittent and in the end almost never worked in the media adapter. Not even charging the battery.
I have the same issue. Just didn't manage to follow it up yet. Following this thread closely though.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 02:26 AM   #110
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

As a note my BMW dealer has ordered a new part for the armrest. Its something they replace in the armrest without changing the whole thing. Wiring etc. So the car is going in again to change this part as soon at arrives.

The technician noted that the wiring seemed to be the issue in that part. So might be some factory issue when they fit this part to the cars. When he just touched it started to charge the battery in the phone etc. So the intermittent issue in my car seems to be wiring / issue in the arm rest rather than anything else...

I will update again when the new part has arrived and when it has been changed. I did try my media adapter snap in in a new X3 and it worked flawlessly in that car with my phone...
Appreciate 0