BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-29-2012, 01:54 AM   #1
1TREE5
Stoplight-To-Stoplight
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

10" sub and amp install review and pics

I decided that the HK system lacked the sub bass required for my taste so I decided to install an amp an a 10" sub in a custom enclosure.

I ordered a PAC trunk lock online but I was sent a PAC SOEM-T LOC. I decided to use it and it works perfectly and doesn't require the extra hook up for the low voltage trigger, it just senses the voltage from the subwoofer wires. I used t-taps for the wiring, for the ground I used a nearby bolt and for the power I used the red and blue wire (amp's power).

For the amplifier I chose the new JL HD750 because its compact and more than sufficient for the Morel Ultimo SC 10". It turns out that the amp is perfectly sized to fit in the area where the satellite radio components go (I think thats what the space is for). In this location the amp has a perfect grounding spot about 2 inches from the amp itself, just had to do a bit of wire brushing to remove the paint. The power was easy too, I just connected where the battery's existing 4gauge power wire is hooked up; see the pics below.

For the sub I went with Morel because I want the sound quality over the boom. I mostly listen to old blues, jazz, and reggae/ska (usually has poor recording and hard to capture bass notes). Although I will rock some Indie stuff, punk, and dubstep as well.

Thank you to TPLSM3 (Ben) for an outstanding experience with his custom enclosure. He dynamatted the back, predrilled the holes, supplied the hardware and shipped to Hawaii ( it took 2 days to arrive) all for $415, $75 less than quoted by my local shop who doesn't specialize in 1er's.

Lastly, I absolutely had to have a RLC (bass knob) because of the range of music I enjoy. You can see in the pic below where I mounted it. I had to do a lot of modding to get it flush and to fit here. There's only 1" space behind the panel.

This is my first post!
Attached Images

If I had all the money I'd spent on cars ... I'd spend it all on cars. - Scott Fisher
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

Very nice! Does the load floor (trunk panel) sit flat over the HD750/1?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
1TREE5
Stoplight-To-Stoplight
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

perfectly flat!

If I had all the money I'd spent on cars ... I'd spend it all on cars. - Scott Fisher
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
TPLSM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Porsche GT4

Looks great Tony! Thanks for the kind words. I was SHOCKED how quickly you got the enclosure from Florida to Hawaii! Great install, very clean!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Nice one mate. Looks like a great setup...

I have one of Ben's enclosures too. It's fantastic...
      04-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
ldogaigga
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I've got the enclosure on the way too. Can't wait!!
Appreciate 0