BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-24-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Leipzig Plant to get expansion

Home of the 1-Series Coupe and the 3-Series Sedan

Plant expansion
New press shop and expansion of component production until 2009
The BMW Leipzig Plant will be expanded until the end of 2009. Within the next two years, a press shop with attached component production (production of doors, front and rear lids) will be built in the north-eastern part of the existing plant premises. It is anticipated to create 150 new jobs for the new production areas. The construction of the new buildings will start by the end of 2007. The investment is estimated to amount to more than 100 million euro.

In the future, the body parts which are assembled to form a complete body in the Leipzig body shop will be produced directly on plant premises. A press shop with a six-ary press produces the desired forms out of the plate boards. The press shop will also receive a door and lid production. This enlarges the existing capacity for the production of body parts.

The new production facilities are not expected to create pollution. The mandatory limits, for example for noise, are not exceeded. The press shop and the larger component production will reduce the number of truck transports to the plant.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 02:34 PM   #2
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Only makes sense- especially starting out with the relatively fragile body parts that are easily damaged in shipping.
I went thru horrors as I waited for a hood and trunk lid to be replaced on my Z4-
2 complete sets were dinged in shipment despite being boxed and wrapped.
The waste of fuel, time, materials was a dreadful eye opener.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 03:03 PM   #3
bavarianbutcher
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 Series BMW

nice
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 06:07 PM   #4
ppDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep