BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-23-2008, 10:50 PM   #1
m3maxwell
Registered
Rep
Drives:

I need to chose between 128i and Clubman S

I've been driving and loving an '04 MINI Cooper S. I recently got the new car bug and was thinking of a getting a Clubman S to accommodate my 3 and 9 year old (my 9 y/o son as is big a car nut as me and loves the Clubman). My prior car was an E36 M3 that I had a love hate relationship with. I enjoyed driving it but it almost got in into trouble a few times. It was also prone to expensive repairs. My car guy friends approved of it but I often felt others saw it as pretentious. The MINI seems to draw universal acceptance and has been reliable so far. I was only able to test drive an auto vert (I'd order a manual HT). It felt a little mild compared to my R53. I test drove a turbo R56 MT (they didn't have any manual Clubman S's on the lot). The R56 felt more refined than my R53 but still had that "go-cart" feel. They're both great, albiet different cars. Both sales advisors are suggesting to order now for a July build or I'll be waiting for a Sept build.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 11:08 PM   #2
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3maxwell View Post
Both sales advisors are suggesting to order now for a July build or I'll be waiting for a Sept build.
Seems realistic for the 128i Coupe.

Posted it in another thread but my CA was telling me that there was a total of 35 productions slots in the month of May to be distributed among 350 US dealers. It seems ridiculously low but syncs with what others have been seeing.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 11:38 PM   #3
sluday
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I too am interested in the Clubman. I have not yet be able to test drive one but i saw it in person at the NY auto show and really liked it. The only thing I did not like was the rear door center beam really blocks rear vision. If I got one it would have to be fully loaded and my local dealer only had an non S version w/ basic features. Salesman told me to come in and test drive the Mini S because they were about the same car but I feel the longer wheel base would feel a little different.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 12:05 AM   #4
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Ewww the Clubman, that is ugly.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 02:11 AM   #5
roadburn
rrroadburn
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

It's pretentious to drive an "unpretentious" car.

Now, a stretch Clubman.... that would be something.

CXXXVi
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 03:44 AM   #6
avus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

maybe i can help-

have both a Pepper White Cooper S Clubman and an Alpine White 135i
both manual

Clubman has a more refined 'go-kart' feel than the standard cooper -- those extra inches in the wheelbase do wonders for smoothing out road bumps and such -- but still gives you that connected to the road sensation MINIs are knowm for
1series on the other hand handles those same bumps better in a highway cruiser sort of way -- you sense that you are a bit removed from annoyances while driving, but still connected with the car
Clubman has more interior rear passenger space than the 1series
1series has a larger trunk to carry stuff

Clubman is a much better 'value' compared to the 1series when it comes to # of options/accessories for the price -- and the clubman will probably retain a higher residual value
1series looks better, not as cutesy
Clubman will have lower insurance rates compared to the 1series

comparing the 128 and the Clubman S, i'd say get the Clubman
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 04:39 AM   #7
Rye
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickone View Post
Ewww the Clubman, that this is ugly.
I concur.

This Mini > Clubman
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 09:24 AM   #8
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

When it comes to being fun and versatile rolled up into one... the Clubman's your winner here, although I could never bring myself to get one. (it has such an ugly ass)
      05-24-2008, 09:26 AM   #9
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by avus View Post
... comparing the 128 and the Clubman S, i'd say get the Clubman
Agree, especially with children of that age.
      05-24-2008, 11:51 AM   #10
1Ronnie
Ronnie
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 Sedona 128i

It's got to be about what you like the most, don't us ask, everyone of us is completely biased . I bought a premium Sedona Red, with Coral Red interior, 128i, and if I listened to this list, I'd have ended up with an AW 135i, with who knows what revolting colour inside, and a horrible hard sports ride. None of which I like, want or can afford.

I ordered mine because I like it ... and it's what I want, end of story. :biggrin:

But hey, if you want me opinion ... Mini's ... YUCK !!!
      05-24-2008, 11:54 AM   #11
m3maxwell
Registered
Rep
Drives:

I appreciate the input. My wife asked if the BMW would be more comfortable for passengers. For the first time she admitted she found riding in the R53 to be a little rough. I felt the R56 was definitely smoother then my R53 and the Clubman should be even more so. I think the kids will have more fun in the Clubman and I'll still enjoy it as well.
Maybe with higher gas prices BMW will release the hatch with a 4 cylinder or diesel in a couple years.
Appreciate 0