BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

11-16-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
Monster335is
Waking up from hybernation
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is

Exclamation My Experience with Gintani

Two years ago I was introduced to Alex and Arno, the owners of Gintani. At the time my car was running a JB3 2.0. After hanging out at the shop we started discussing the possibility of testing out their twin turbo setup for the N54 on my car. After some consideration I decided against it. Instead I proposed they create a complete turboback for 135i since their exhausts were really popular at the time and I was looking for a set of downpipes. We went back and forth for a week and I dropped my car off to have the exhaust fabricated and installed.

During this time I stopped by Gintani to check on the car’s progress. Upon arriving at Gintani I saw the engine bay was completely taken apart with wires hanging out everywhere. At that time I didn’t think anything was wrong so I left without asking any questions. I trusted Gintani, my first mistake. A few days later I came back to the shop to pick up the car. Upon arriving Arno informed me that they had removed my JB3 and installed their own custom flash on the car. He told me that they wanted me to test out the new flash to help them develop it for the N54 market by giving them my feedback.

Arno assured me that flash was completely safe. Again because I trusted Gintani I agreed to keep the flash on the car. After driving the car home I started immediately noticing problems. At full throttle the car would go into limp mode. So I called Alex and headed back down to Gintani to have Jeremy take a look at the car. During a test drive with Alex the car went into limp mode again. We went back to the shop and Jeremy reflashed the car assuring me that the problem had been fixed.

Upon pulling out of the Gintani’s driveway my passenger’s side fender completely buckled. This was a brand new car. The passenger side fender had not sustained any damage before this incident. After taking the car to a local body shop, the owner informed me that the fender had been hit and was straightened out to appear as if no damage had ever occurred. I paid $600 out of pocket to have the fender fixed. I never brought up the issue with Alex or Arno even though my car was in their possession, my second mistake.

After getting the car back from the body shop I continued testing their new flash. During this time the car went into limp mode several more times. Again Jeremy reflashed the car assuring me that the problem was fixed. Two weeks later my fuel pump gave out. So I went to Gintani to have flash removed so that I could take the car to the dealer. I also asked if they could remove the turboback so that I wouldn’t face any warranty issues. They grudgingly agreed.

Once my fuel pump was replaced I never went back to have the flash re-installed. Over the past year the car has been stock with the exception of the Gintani turboback. Several weeks ago my car started experiencing serious issues. The car would shut off and not turn back on. I thought that I experienced another fuel pump failure. So I had the car towed to a dealer where my friend works to have him take a look at it.

Two days later I received a call asking me if I had ever touched the DME. I informed him that I had not. He asked if anyone else might have touched the DME. I said the only time that the car was out of my control was when it was at Gintani. He informed me that my DME was throwing multiple error codes and that all the wiring had been taken out and was not properly reinstalled and/or was completely damaged. He attempted to fix the car, but informed me that the car might experience more problems in the future and may require a new DME due to all the damage it had sustained. Over the past several weeks the car has been in and out of the dealer due to the same problem. I’ve spent over $1,000.00 trying to get the car fixed.

Now you might be asking yourself how this is related to Gintani. Simple, Alex wanted to create a new tune for the N54 turbo kit he was looking to develop. He had another car lined up, a 335, to test out the kit besides mine. Jeremy needed a base file for the tune so they broke into my DME without my knowledge or consent and in the process severely damaged it. I never agreed to be a guinea pig. I trusted these guys because I thought they were professional and competent, that was my third mistake. At no time did they step forward and acknowledge damaging my fender or my DME.

Like many of you I used to believe Alex and Arno were good guys and that they could be trusted. I promoted their business every chance I got and defended their reputation whenever someone attacked them. Now, I truly regret that. I wrote this with no agenda. I’m sure after reading this Gintani and their fan boys will attempt to discredit me in any way they can. That’s fine. I’ve accepted that. I just wanted the community to see what I’ve gone through in dealing with Gintani. Hopefully no one else has to experience what I’ve experienced.
      11-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
You dropped off the car without having them sign a contract or you signing anything?

Whenever I drop off my car for development purposes I make the vendor sign a contract if they don't already have one drawn up. That is how you protect yourself from any problems arising in the future.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
Monster335is
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
You dropped off the car without having them sign a contract or you signing anything?

Whenever I drop off my car for development purposes I make the vendor sign a contract if they don't already have one drawn up. That is how you protect yourself from any problems arising in the future.
In retrospect I have should have been more cautious, but I didn't think that by agreeing to test out a turboback my car would turn into science project. The tune was never discussed beforehand. I was only informed of the tune after it had been installed. They informed me the tune was safe. I took their word, again my mistake in trusting them.
      11-16-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
Blessed1
Rep
Drives: E92 M///,N55 DCT

Contract or not .. Sorry to hear that they as professionals put you through so much. They'll never touch my car. I hope that you are able to get all matters sorted out.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Totally unacceptable and unprofessional....they basically treated his car like Frankenstein.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #6
miro2296
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Montego Blue BMW 135i

So they are good with exhausts and suck at tuning! Thank you for the heads up!
BMW 135i/6 Speed/Montego Blue/Formula One Ceramic Tint/JB4 G4/AA Sport Intercooler/19 inch Iconz 880Z(19X8.5 & 19X10)/PSS 225/35 & 265/30/E93 M3 front sway bar/TRW front and rear Control Arms/BMS Drop In Filter/Dinan Exhaust/BlackLines/Upgraded \\\M RSFB
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
Monster335is
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed1 View Post
Contract or not .. Sorry to hear that they as professionals put you through so much. They'll never touch my car. I hope that you are able to get all matters sorted out.
Thank bro. Appreciate that. Slowly but surely the car is getting sorted out.
      11-16-2011, 02:42 PM   #8
RobM23
Second Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: E82

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.80]
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
not nice man.

08' SGM/CR E82 N54
Active Autowerke/BMW Performance
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
nkadisha
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 335

That's a terrible experience, hope the car gets sorted out and you can get it back to 100% soon.

Best of luck
      11-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #10
Black Sheep
A Zip an a Double Cup
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

That's some bullshit...

PTF Tuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #11
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
man that sucks, lets hope that gintani sees this and can clear the air
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 02:58 PM   #12
Monster335is
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
man that sucks, lets hope that gintani sees this and can clear the air
What's there to sort out? They're gonna deny everything. Not like they're going to come forward and say hey it's true we messed this guy's car up, sorry about that.
      11-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #13
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Sorry to hear bout that man.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 04:28 PM   #14
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster135 View Post
What's there to sort out? They're gonna deny everything. Not like they're going to come forward and say hey it's true we messed this guy's car up, sorry about that.
im not saying what you said is 100 percent legit or not, yes what happened to you sucks, just want to see what they say in regards to this situation.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #15
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Sorry to hear mate. Gintani sound very unprofessional and unethical. Not cool!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 05:24 PM   #16
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' BSM E82

WOW just wow....
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 05:33 PM   #17
Monster335is
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
im not saying what you said is 100 percent legit or not, yes what happened to you sucks, just want to see what they say in regards to this situation.
I told you I have no ulterior motives. The reason I posted this is for everyone to see what happened and to judge for themselves. I have nothing to hide. I disassociated myself from Gintani after the whole tune debacle. After having suffered all that aggravation over this past month, I couldn't let this slide. I don't want this to happen to anyone else.

Like you I would love to hear their explanation. Especially regarding why they needed to pull all my wiring out or how my brand new fender buckled. Still waiting for their explanation...
      11-16-2011, 08:40 PM   #18
BPMSport
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Sounds like a disaster. If they had no permission to flash your ECU, they should have never touched it.

And you made a mistake by allowing them to reflash it after you got it back from the dealer.

I don't understand why everything was ripped apart on an N54 car which would have the MSD80 or MSD81 - currently flash programmable through OBDII for awhile now.

Ever since I heard about the Gintani Ferrari story, I've known to stay far far away

I don't want to be involved, but I suggest taking a look at these threads:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506528

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e90...r-gintani.html (particularly page 2 and up)

Good luck with getting everything resolved

Mike Benvo
(Formerly Mike@Powerchip)

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----

Last edited by BPMSport; 11-16-2011 at 08:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 10:00 PM   #19
Monster335is
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Sounds like a disaster. If they had no permission to flash your ECU, they should have never touched it.

And you made a mistake by allowing them to reflash it after you got it back from the dealer.

I don't understand why everything was ripped apart on an N54 car which would have the MSD80 or MSD81 - currently flash programmable through OBDII for awhile now.

Ever since I heard about the Gintani Ferrari story, I've known to stay far far away

I don't want to be involved, but I suggest taking a look at these threads:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506528

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e90...r-gintani.html (particularly page 2 and up)

Good luck with getting everything resolved

Mike Benvo
(Formerly Mike@Powerchip)
Mike I never allowed them to reflash the car once the fuel pump was replaced. A few months ago Alex asked me to bring the car in to test out their new tune and I refused. I cut my ties with them a long time ago and walked away. I was never going back to them under any circumstance.
      11-16-2011, 10:09 PM   #20
BPMSport
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster135 View Post
Mike I never allowed them to reflash the car once the fuel pump was replaced. A few months ago Alex asked me to bring the car in to test out their new tune and I refused. I cut my ties with them a long time ago and walked away. I was never going back to them under any circumstance.
Sorry about that, I was reading too fast.

I thought you brought it back to them after the fuel pump was fixed, but you clearly said that you didn't.

Is everything resolved now with your ECU? If not, I'm happy to help - free of charge. It's quite likely that your ECU still has some changes from the programming that was performed, even if he put it back to stock (unless he was using dealer tools, which I doubt). Hopefully the dealer reflashed your car to remove any traces of that mess.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 10:25 PM   #21
Monster335is
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Sorry about that, I was reading too fast.

I thought you brought it back to them after the fuel pump was fixed, but you clearly said that you didn't.

Is everything resolved now with your ECU? If not, I'm happy to help - free of charge. It's quite likely that your ECU still has some changes from the programming that was performed, even if he put it back to stock (unless he was using dealer tools, which I doubt). Hopefully the dealer reflashed your car to remove any traces of that mess.
Thank you Mike I really appreciate it. My tech reflashed the car and repaired all the connections. So far it's running smoothly (knock on wood). But if anything comes up I will definitely hit you up. Thanks bro.
      11-17-2011, 08:30 AM   #22
m33
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual

i feel bad for you and i don't ....... all that time you defended these guys you had no positive ground in doing so , cause obviously you would have never put yourself in this situation.....
is this how you Vote too
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread