BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-01-2007, 09:32 PM   #155
slipkmaggot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakazitp View Post
put the $20k difference into an investment account, in 30 years when you are 47, on average that account with be worth ~$654k.
He's not making that up. if you compound quarterly and with an 11.8% interest rate you get that.

final = principal(1+(r/c))^(y*c)

or use a interest calc lol
:roundel:
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 10:41 PM   #156
gammagoblin
Rep
Drives:

Well I guess if I had rich parents with money to burn hell if I wouldn't want a 135i. But there are just so so so so many other things better to do with that kind of money for someone your age. Forty fucking thousand dollars for a car/toy, for a 16 year old, who isn't paying for it and therefore will not truly appreciate it, who barely has any driving experience and all that is just a waste.

Be smarter than your parents, tell them if you do well that they should spend ~$15k on a car for you, $20k invested, and take 5 grand and go travelling or something, you'll be a better person for it. They would probably be quite pleasantly surprised if you suggested such a thing...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 12:36 AM   #157
cgarcia0638
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i

I would just like to add if I may that there are many exceptions to the rule. Myself included. Again, no disrespect meant, I only speak with the utmost humility and respect for those older than I. I will begin by saying that at age 16, I graciously received a 2006 C230 Sports Sedan. While by no means the performance benchmark that is the 135i, it was still a luxury sports sedan (if Mercedes-Benz can even venture to give it such an inept name), it was given to me as a reward for maintaining a good GPA and for loosing 100 pounds. I was morbidly obese. All things considered, there is not a day that goes by that I do not thank my lucky stars that I am as fortunate as I am. I am also thankful that my parents financial situation is well established. I stepped up to the 330i and after attending several driving courses, including some at the Performance Driving Center in Spartanburg and as a result feel I am better for it. My lease is up in August of next year and I myself hope to be the proud owner of a 135i. The point which I am trying to make is, I am furthering my education at the University of Miami (Go Canes! Shameless plug I know) and am working to apply to Law School and one day be able to be as financially secure as my parents to give my child a car that he or she will appreciate and remember. Of course all this with respect for both the parents and the car itself. Because I know that there have been many times where I wonder whether I actually deserve my car. The truth is I tell myself that as long as I study hard and someday purchase my own without resorting myself to forget the very fortune that gave me the vehicle in the first place, then the answer is yes.
I thank you for your time in reading this. I apologize if I seem arrogant or otherwise, I am simply speaking my mind.
-Carlos
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 08:58 AM   #158
BMW135iCA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Wow this thread had gotten huge. Just be very careful man if you get it. Within one year of having my liscence I got into a huge accident. I think something sporty yet not as powerful like the 128i may better suit. If I was a father, I would give my son a dependable, safe car, with moderate hp, nothing too powerful like the 135i though.

Chris
Appreciate 0