BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #23
dm135is
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i 6MT M Sport Coupe

That's good to know, and I appreciate that attitude on your dealership's part.

Still, I'm a reasonable person, and if I make some over-the-top mod that blows up some factory part, I won't expect the dealer to cover it under warranty.

The stock 135i doesn't NEED much to make it "right" anyway. I was very impressed with the stock car (w/ Dinan software) at the track last month. The only part that really needs upgrading is the DRIVER! Hope to work on that with a couple more driver's schools and some autocrosses next year.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #24
Bob Z.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
I got mine for $300 and it cost $115 to get installed at the dealer.

It was worth it for that price
$300!? Where was that from? That price seems to be less than half of what the next cheapest place is that I could find.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #25
wjk_glynn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 C2S Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Z. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
I got mine for $300 and it cost $115 to get installed at the dealer.

It was worth it for that price
$300!? Where was that from? That price seems to be less than half of what the next cheapest place is that I could find.
I got a similar deal for PPK1 as Jockey.

BMW of Peabody, MA had a few on the shelves and they put them on clearance some months ago. The parts guy said I got the last one.

Then a local BMW dealership installed the software for 1-hr of labor ($200), so $500 all up.

One difficulty I ran into with some of the local dealerships is that if any problem occured during the install, they said they wouldn't cover consequential damages (e.g. fried DME). That was very annoying as it's a BMW product installed in their network.

Eventually I found BMW of Fremont and they installed without any qualifications. Overall, I found that dealership's customer service and the SA's technical knowledge to be quite superior to the larger BMW dealerships in the area.

As to the OP's original question, I'd say it was barely worth the $500. It seems to add about 1 PSI of boost over the stock tune, so you get a bit more poke. But it won't set your hair on fire...

Other have reported improved driveability with PPK, but I never noticed issues with the stock tune to begin with.

Karl.
      12-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #26
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Z. View Post
I got it at BMW of Peabody too just like glynn. They had 3 or so and I got the 2nd one.
Appreciate 0