BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-06-2017, 01:25 PM   #1
beattiecj
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 2017 x5 35i 1988 e30

Replacing Front Brake Seals - Without Removing Caliper from Car

Hey All,

I have the wonderful case of the rubber brake piston seals melting/cracking (Brembo 6 Pots).

I want to put new seals on, but do not want to remove the caliper and re-bleed the brakes....

Is it possible to pull off the outer rubber seal and pop the new one on without pulling the pistons out of the caliper and removing the brake caliper from the car? To clarify removing, I mean avoiding disconnecting the brake lines, I understand the caliper needs to be unbolted etc. There is a video on how to re-build the entire caliper which seems simple enough, but don't want to spend $500 and my brake pistons are fine at the moment. The fear is this is a temp fix for a few track events and then I will have to re-do the entire caliper anyway, I am also inserting a Hardbrake 1mm ti shim to help reduce heat.

Thanks for any input.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 06:44 AM   #2
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

It is far easier to just erect a jackstand on the brake pedal so that it's pressed down in line with the gas pedal, crack the bleeder and catch the bit of fluid to relieve the pressure then unmount the calipers.

With the caliper plumbed, you will be squatting or sitting on something uncomfy while trying to change the boots and not pop any pistons out. I could never get all 6 to push out at the same time in unison. Then you have to do the same for the other side.

Just depends how badly you want to avoid bleeding the caliper but id much rather do the repair on a bench, plumb it back up and then pressure bleed it
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 06:13 PM   #3
beattiecj
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 2017 x5 35i 1988 e30

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
It is far easier to just erect a jackstand on the brake pedal so that it's pressed down in line with the gas pedal, crack the bleeder and catch the bit of fluid to relieve the pressure then unmount the calipers.

With the caliper plumbed, you will be squatting or sitting on something uncomfy while trying to change the boots and not pop any pistons out. I could never get all 6 to push out at the same time in unison. Then you have to do the same for the other side.

Just depends how badly you want to avoid bleeding the caliper but id much rather do the repair on a bench, plumb it back up and then pressure bleed it
Well said, and good point. I think i might as well take it off an do a full rebuild.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 07:58 PM   #4
nanotech
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i SGM M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post

Plus, it's super fun to blow compressed air into the caliper and watch the piston shoot out like a rocket

If you are doing the boots, I'd do the seals at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 06:44 PM   #5
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Good fucking luck with a multi-piston caliper. Just remove the caliper from the brake line and work from the bench.
Streets of Willow: 1:27.7 CW 11/15/15; 1:29.5 CCW 8/15/15 |||| Autoclub Speedway ROVAL (CCW): 1.52.6 - 12/2/17
Willow Springs - Big Willow (CW): 1:35.8 - 3/31/18 |||| Buttonwillow #13 (CW): 1:59.3 1/27/18
https://www.facebook.com/JakeStumphRacing |||| http://www.youtube.com/user/RaceMeMZ3
Appreciate 0