BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #1
Schnorbitz
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 318d

Rear suspension and steering rattles.

Done 1500 miles now and have got a couple of annoying rattles. The first is from the rear suspension, left hand side, heard mostly over low speed bumps around town. I\'ve pretty much ruled out any issues with loose trim in the boot / trunk area and also the lid itself. Sounds kinda like the noise I had when I had a cracked damper on my M3 years back.

Next rattle is from the steering rack when you hit a bump, again at low speeds around town, when you\'ve got a bit of steering angle on. Doesn\'t happen when the car is straight.

I\'m booked in to get it all checked out but was keen to see if anyone else was having similar issues?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Make sure the shipping blocks were removed from that shock and strut..

They should be blue or white inserrts on the shafts that simply unclip and are removed. ( we are not talking about the bumpstops that are permenately installed on the shaft)

you have to look under the rubber boot and see if they were left in there during dealer prep. If so, they could cause a multitude of issues
      07-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
h-manuk
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M Coupe

hi, the steering rattle you describe I think is normal. I get this also, blame firm suspension and big tyres.

not sure about the rear suspension rattle, although again it doesnt sound serious to me!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
1Mer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnorbitz View Post
Done 1500 miles now and have got a couple of annoying rattles. The first is from the rear suspension, left hand side, heard mostly over low speed bumps around town. I\'ve pretty much ruled out any issues with loose trim in the boot / trunk area and also the lid itself. Sounds kinda like the noise I had when I had a cracked damper on my M3 years back.

Next rattle is from the steering rack when you hit a bump, again at low speeds around town, when you\'ve got a bit of steering angle on. Doesn\'t happen when the car is straight.

I\'m booked in to get it all checked out but was keen to see if anyone else was having similar issues?
I get the occasional clunk from the steering at low speeds over bumps - assumed it was normal.

Don't get a rattle from the back - it's not something to do with your LSD is it?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
Schnorbitz
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

No not LSD, I've had problems with those before and you really only notice something's wrong from a grinding noise when the car is turning on full lock. This is suspension, 99% sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 07:36 PM   #6
Schnorbitz
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Clonk from rear suspension is a broken damper, none in the country as usual...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 12:35 AM   #7
rjwojcik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW Golf GTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnorbitz View Post
Clonk from rear suspension is a broken damper, none in the country as usual...
That's a downer...

Who diagnosed that for you (dealer I suppose)?

What's wrong with the damper (or is it internal)?

Do you think the fault(s) were there from new?
      08-01-2011, 03:59 AM   #8
Schnorbitz
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Yeah, the dealer, it was present from new and is steadily getting worse.

Think it's play in the bottom mounting, I had a similar issue with an e92 M3 where the bottom mounting actually cracked and the knock was much worse but this isn't as bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
hybris4u
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 1-serie M Coupé and BMW X5

I hear a metallic "clonking" sound sometimes. Most of the times when the car is cold and a reverse out of my garage on low speeds. Also heard it when driving slow on low gear in town. I have tried really hard to get it to sound by driving slow, reversing, going over bumps, no gear in, braking etc etc. But I cannot really get the sound to come back and get it to always "clonk" in some scenarios. The best bet is in the morning while backing out of the garage (or anytime that the car is really cold). But as I said also heard it in Town at slow speeds like a traffic light and driving slowly. But its not common in town. Really strange metallic clonk like suspension, heat Shields or something hitting something lightly.

Any clues / ideas?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #10
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris4u View Post
I hear a metallic "clonking" sound sometimes. Most of the times when the car is cold and a reverse out of my garage on low speeds. Also heard it when driving slow on low gear in town. I have tried really hard to get it to sound by driving slow, reversing, going over bumps, no gear in, braking etc etc. But I cannot really get the sound to come back and get it to always "clonk" in some scenarios. The best bet is in the morning while backing out of the garage (or anytime that the car is really cold). But as I said also heard it in Town at slow speeds like a traffic light and driving slowly. But its not common in town. Really strange metallic clonk like suspension, heat Shields or something hitting something lightly.

Any clues / ideas?
I get this all the time especially at low speeds in reverse and forward. I figure its a dust cover or something stupid it sounds as if the brake pad sensor (which its not) was hanging and clunking the spokes of the wheel as it spins like a ***clack**clack**clack**clack**clack*
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #11
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99 View Post
I get this all the time especially at low speeds in reverse and forward. I figure its a dust cover or something stupid it sounds as if the brake pad sensor (which its not) was hanging and clunking the spokes of the wheel as it spins like a ***clack**clack**clack**clack**clack*
Yes it sound like something would be hitting a metallic heat shield or the metallic brake cover or whats its call. clonk clonk clonk. Almost like something is hanging loose. The strange thing is when I drove it for 30 minutes with windows down, braking, driving slow, hard, braking, steering a lot while driving slow, fast, over bumps etc. It dont sound! I have never heard it before. First time it was a couple of Days ago. And today when going to work (when reversing out of the garage) and when going out after work (reversing out of the garage) for a drive again. After this I drove for 30 minutes to try to get the sound back again. I heard the clonk once when at a traffic light during the 30 minutes drive... The car has like 400 Swedish miles (4000 km). Purely OEM execept the usual BMW performance cosmetics.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #12
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris4u View Post
Yes it sound like something would be hitting a metallic heat shield or the metallic brake cover or whats its call. clonk clonk clonk. Almost like something is hanging loose. The strange thing is when I drove it for 30 minutes with windows down, braking, driving slow, hard, braking, steering a lot while driving slow, fast, over bumps etc. It dont sound! I have never heard it before. First time it was a couple of Days ago. And today when going to work (when reversing out of the garage) and when going out after work (reversing out of the garage) for a drive again. After this I drove for 30 minutes to try to get the sound back again. I heard the clonk once when at a traffic light during the 30 minutes drive... The car has like 400 Swedish miles (4000 km). Purely OEM execept the usual BMW performance cosmetics.
yup. Ive had too much fun enjoying my car and i know its something so stupid I haven't bothered to get into it.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #13
LeifW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

No rattles that I can hear. I'm at 2,100 miles.

Leif W.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #14
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

This is not like rattles. More like metallic clonk clonk clonk. Like a metallic span that someone hits inside with something metallic
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #15
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

OK. So my metallic "clonk" was a stone that was sitting between the dustcover or what its called. The car was at BMW to try to find the problem with the Media Adapter and the iPhone not loading. They checked the clonk also and solved it.
Appreciate 0