BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-06-2021, 06:34 AM   #1
accomotors
Free Spirit Tattoo Racing
Australia
Rep
Drives: 130i

Laundry List of Codes

Hey folks,

So we have returned from a somewhat successful weekend at SMSP at the start of March, but the car is not without it's problems. Apart from me leaving the bonnet pins out and smashing the windshield (among other not-so-easily replaced panels), the car is now sporting a rather strange loss of power.

It is not a complete loss of power a such, more a gradual slowing/reduction in performance. I first noticed it after an hour long event, where during the final 10 minutes the car seemed doughy and lacking. We replaced the plugs/coils just because, but the problem seemed the same in the next race (roughly same time before problem, ~50 mins).

The car is always full of fuel, but no longer runs the factory tank but a fuel cell in the trunk.

Attachment #1 is the log from before the final race. Attachment #2 is mid-race. Attachment #3 is 20 minutes later, same race.

We brought the car into the pits, and I read and cleared the codes. The car would run race-best laps after each code clearing procedure and be running like a dream, but would then drop off in pace and begin lacking in power again. This leads me to believe that it is not a mechanical problem, but some sort of tuning/coding problem.

I have since invested in ProTool as a means of coding out some of the unwanted features, and hopefully getting to the bottom of this problem.

From what I can see on the codes:

It recognizes that the fuel level is low, because the factory wiring does not exist any more. Would this be causing it to go into a low-power mode to conserve fuel?
It is misfiring on Cylinder #2 (and this is confirmed audibly as during the latter stages it was noticeably on 5 cylinders at full noise, however idled and revved without load on 6). This was even after replacing all the plugs/coils.
It shows a DISA code? I don't know enough about all this?

Given that it is a completely foreign fuel system (albeit with no previous problems), could it now be seeing fuel pressure or volume too low?

Attachment #4 is a scan I did on the new ProTool, at idle in the workshop.

HELP!!

I will be back at the track early May for a tuning day, in the hope of running all day and getting to the root of the problems.
Attached Images

SSO Handling and Storage
Penrite Oil
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 04:50 PM   #2
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Might need some more info on your modified fueling system. The EKP is the Low Pressure Fuel Pump control module, and those have been known to overheat if taxed heavily.

Check out this thread: https://www.[INSERTFORUMHERE].com/threads/stage-2-lpfp-and-ekpm3-de-module-issues.499/

over on the turbo spin street forum. Spool *Road*, etc, hint.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 05:24 AM   #3
accomotors
Australia
Rep

Thanks for your reply. The car runs a Fuel Safe cell, with an internal surge tank and 2 scavenge pumps to fill it. I have never had problems before with it, this is the first time there would have been fuel issues.
I read that thread, thanks. Seems to be more applicable to the turbo model? I have a hotwire to the pump as a way of draining the tank for scrutineering and other purposes, I am thinking of maybe just running that on flat-out and see if it makes a difference?
I do not have any coding tools other than ProTool, would that be able to recalibrate the EKP if necessary?
SSO Handling and Storage
Penrite Oil
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 06:26 AM   #4
accomotors
Australia
Rep

So I found a ton of Fuel Tank and Fuel Level related coding possibilities in ProTool while I was having a play around today. No idea which would actually trick the car into thinking it was full of fuel. Trial and error I suppose, unless someone knows?
Attached Images

SSO Handling and Storage
Penrite Oil
Appreciate 0