BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-20-2008, 06:27 PM   #1
m3bs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 S54 M3, X5, GT4, GR Corolla

&%&$*#(# Run Flats!

So, with 2K miles, I got a screw through the sidewall. While I can appreciate being able to drive to a safe location with the RFT, I didn't want to drive 75 miles to work and back on it. It went flat in my garage.

Called around, and of course nobody had a replacement in the area. I ended up picking up both front tires that Gill@tirerack was selling, so hopefully I will be back on the road this weekend, and be prepared for the next time.

It just ticks me off that a simple flat tire puts me out of commission for a week. What do we need to do to get BMW to start putting spare tires back in their cars? Buy Hondas?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

i had a similar experience when i went over a small pothole. the tire shop was nice enough to give me a loaner tire/rim for the day. but just driving it home on the runflat bent my rim.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
but just driving it home on the runflat bent my rim.
Further explanation please..........driving on a run-flat with no air bent your rim?????
Are you sure that your rim wasn't bent when you hit a pothole large enough to flatten your tire?

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 06:49 PM   #4
m3bs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 S54 M3, X5, GT4, GR Corolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
i had a similar experience when i went over a small pothole. the tire shop was nice enough to give me a loaner tire/rim for the day. but just driving it home on the runflat bent my rim.
I guess that is part of the risk one takes driving on them without air. I didn't want to risk it. The tire is expensive enough!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2008, 07:19 PM   #5
frimmelnojerz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego blue 135i

an expensive piece of shizzle.

i burned through the fronts on one track day.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 08:23 PM   #6
Bruck
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i MT Alpine White

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
One can surely take these Run flats off right?

Also, I noticed the trunk seems to have a space for some kind of spare - but its been reconfigured to hold the battery?

What about a battery relocate, holder modify - install mickey mouse spare MOD??

Is this even feasible?

I am debating getting rid of the RFT on day 1. Just take them off, install new shoes, sell ASAP to recoupe most of the value.

What is the point of keeping them on if they are a hassle and expensive. You can run other tires on this car right? (probably a really dumb ass question)
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 03:19 PM   #7
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruck View Post
One can surely take these Run flats off right?

Also, I noticed the trunk seems to have a space for some kind of spare - but its been reconfigured to hold the battery?

What about a battery relocate, holder modify - install mickey mouse spare MOD??

Is this even feasible?

I am debating getting rid of the RFT on day 1. Just take them off, install new shoes, sell ASAP to recoupe most of the value.

What is the point of keeping them on if they are a hassle and expensive. You can run other tires on this car right? (probably a really dumb ass question)
I don't know why anyone keeps them either. I'm getting rid of them first thing next summer (when I take my snows off).
      08-25-2008, 03:37 PM   #8
roldan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

I'm all for removing the runflats once you have an excuse. I'm running Potenza RE760s now after a nasty pothole hit that destroyed the sidewall on a runflat and bent not one but TWO rims.

The car rides much more nicely now and no longer makes that cringe-inducing that-sounds-like-something-broke thud (you know what I'm talking about) when going over bumps in the road. I haven't had a chance to push it at autox yet but it seems to handle the same or better on the road.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 07:58 PM   #9
davemohan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

After I use up a little tread on the runflats, I plan to abandon them. LeatherZ has a spare and a jack kit available, and it should even help the weight distribution a bit. As well as eliminating some unsprung weight by dropping the runflats.

http://leatherz.com/Merchant5/mercha...y_Code=all_E82

http://leatherz.com/Merchant5/mercha...y_Code=all_E82
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 09:44 PM   #10
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

I'll ditch the run-flats after they wear out. I paid for them so I;m gonna use them up. Any idea how many miles you can get out of the OEM run-flats? I have purchased a Mobility kit already and I'm itching to dump them but I cant see spending the money unless I have to. The rears alone on TireRack are $322 a piece.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 12:04 PM   #11
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pearson 424 Ketch

Does the standard warranty cover rim damage resulting from RFT failure? Or is that the Buyer's 'tough luck' and only a supplemental tire-wheel policy will provide this coverage?

Jack
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 12:10 PM   #12
iborroel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2002 996TT, 1980 911 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack in St. Pete View Post
Does the standard warranty cover rim damage resulting from RFT failure? Or is that the Buyer's 'tough luck' and only a supplemental tire-wheel policy will provide this coverage?

Jack
I believe you needed to buy the special tire warranty they offered when you purchased the vehicle. The standard warranty wouldn't cover rim damage.
Appreciate 0