BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-07-2014, 02:26 PM   #1
Dr. D
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i

That got the warranty paid for....

I bought my 135i from CarMax two years ago. Although the car had some 10 months of factory warranty left, I bought the 5 year MaxCare warranty from CarMax.

Last year all the fuel injectors were replaced under the factory warranty. I thought that would be it, no more big ticket repairs so the extra warranty was a waste.

Recently the amber 'car on a lift' indicator was showing up about half the time and the rear defroster wasn't always working. The AC seemed a bit off, but not enough to bother with. I took the car in to be checked at a local BMW dealership since the 'car on a lift' could indicate another fueling problem. BTW, the CarMax warranty covers repair work done at any approved repair location.

What they found:
1) The low fuel pressure sensor was failing. The fuel system was OK, but the sensor was on the fritz.
2) The rear defroster problem was due to a failing relay and the related junction box had to be replaced.
3) The automatic cabin temperature control unit was fried by the failing relay for the rear defroster.
4) Oh, they noticed an oil leak in the engine compartment. Minor, but a leak. Turned out to be the oil filter housing gasket.

That all totaled to a bit under $3k. My deductible is $300 and CarMax disagreed with the BMW dealership in the number of hours it should have taken for the repairs to the tune of $400. So $3k in repair work for $700. That paid for the warranty!

I think I might replace the car before the warranty expires....
      12-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
^^or... find a indi service center.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 05:08 PM   #3
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
That all totaled to a bit under $3k. My deductible is $300 and CarMax disagreed with the BMW dealership in the number of hours it should have taken for the repairs to the tune of $400. So $3k in repair work for $700. That paid for the warranty!

I'm curious, why did you have to cover the disagreement in repair hours between CarMax and the dealer ($400)? I would think that's CarMax' problem since they are responsible for the cost of the repair, just as it would be your problem if the cost of the repair was your responsibility.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
Dr. D
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i

The CarMax warranty states they will cover labor according to their book on how long a repair should take. In some ways that is reasonable, since they don't want to pay for 5 hours of labor on a job that should take 2. As it was, the dealership put 12 hours into the work. At least the parts were covered in full.