BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #1
Claud1u005
Registered
Rep
Drives: VW jetta MK6 '12

Question Looking to purchase a new car!

Hello to all, sorry in advance if I had posted wrongly but I searched this forum back and forth to get some info, maybe i'm just too stupid because I did not find anything I need.

Now to the questions: I am a student atm in Europe, looking to purchase a vehicle in july-august, budget is around 11k-14k EUR( depends how much I'll manage to get until august).I had settle for some options(please feel free to add any opinions/comments!):
Main criterias of selection are: 2000cc engine, 200(ish)HP and Coupe body.

So my first option is clearly a 2009-2010 123d E82 (YES, i know it is a diesel, but it is more than enough in terms of power and it return great mpg)

Second option i found pretty useful is the Toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ - I know its down on torque alot in comparison to the bimmer,(+ the cheap plastic interior and it is a bit too much expensive atm) but it seems a pretty fun car to drive.

And my third and final option is the Hyundai Genesis Coupe, the 2.0 Turbo version, I know it eats alot of gas, but its still pretty good for price/value.

Also would you suggest going for a E92 320d/i instead of the 1 series?

Thank you for reading and I look forward to see your opinions!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

I doubt this will be a very popular opinion, but I would go BRZ/GT86. I consider trading my 135i in all the time for one. It really depends on you though, I love to drive sports cars and push them hard, so I like cars that feel planted, predictable, and connected and don't really worry about comfort too much (my S2000 was a bit too noisy and shaky though). The BMW is none of those things, it is fast, quiet, and comfortable but it is not a drivers car and doesn't reward you for driving hard unless you're willing to drop some money on suspension work. If you want a cruiser, something to get you from a-b in comfort, get the BMW. If you are a driver, like to go to the track/autocross, get the Toyobaru.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #3
tremere613
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09' 135i M package convertible

Test drive both the BMW 128i or European equivalent...and the gt86...
Unfortunately the toyota will feel down on torque...
Just remember to wring it out!!
If you are pleased with the test drive go ahead and buy it.. Research crickets and the gt86.. Many have this issue.. Noisy fuel pump
      12-11-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep
Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
I would go FRS/BRZ as well, it's a fun car.

I opted for a 135i with low miles which was at the same price as a new fr-s/brz myself, but I'm not a full time student and I have an extra car if something needs to be repaired. I would recommend the e92 only if you need the extra room (which you will probably need).
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 04:40 PM   #5
DSSG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M Sport

Since you are across the pond, I'd check out Jeremy Clarkson's picks! They are quite good!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 04:47 PM   #6
Fume
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS

FWIW, I was originally planning on getting the BRZ before I test drove the 128i and decided on getting that. My reasoning was that my car will be a DD first and foremost and most of the time I'm going to be driving through stop and go rush hour traffic. I would rather have the more refined 128i in those scenarios. Although the BRZ stock seemed to have better handling, the 128i wasn't bad and I believe it can be improved a lot with some suspension/handling mods. The BRZ is much cheaper though (pretty much a whole other price category) so that's something to consider.

New Car: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS | Stock for now
Old Car: 2013 BMW 128i | 6MT | BMW Performance Grills | CDV Delete | SSK | Performance Exhaust | M3 RSFB | TCKR DA

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 06:25 PM   #7
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fume View Post
FWIW, I was originally planning on getting the BRZ before I test drove the 128i and decided on getting that. My reasoning was that my car will be a DD first and foremost and most of the time I'm going to be driving through stop and go rush hour traffic. I would rather have the more refined 128i in those scenarios. Although the BRZ stock seemed to have better handling, the 128i wasn't bad and I believe it can be improved a lot with some suspension/handling mods. The BRZ is much cheaper though (pretty much a whole other price category) so that's something to consider.
Thats why I got the 135i, but now I'm moving about 4 miles from work and thinking maybe I should get back in to something more raw and aggressive. GT350 or maybe that new Focus RS if the price is right.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 09:33 PM   #8
Claud1u005
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate. In terms of driving, the car will be my DD, can't afford 2 cars( not yet at least) and in terms of space, it will be me and my gf with some sort of luggage.. Don't think i am going to carry furniture ) but for luggage space i consider the 1er more than suitable for me. I wanted to hear you opinion in comparison with the e92 in terms of driving more, i'm not the guy that pushes the car non-stop, i'm the guy who likes to have some sideways fun with the car from time to time, mostly the power i would need it for overtakes rather than circuit races( though i would absolutely love to trash it on a racetrack) and in terms of suspension i am planning to change it on my future car( and brakes also) no matter the brand.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 11:26 PM   #9
Mach1er
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i

My friend has the BRZ. I'm 5' 8" and couldn't spend more than 10 minutes in the back of it. If you ever need to put more than 2 people in your car, get the E82 or E92. The Bimmers will also win a space comparo with the BRZ, but the seats fold so that's still helpful. My main comlaint about the BRZ is how loud the cabin is. The engine noise is really distracting. If you like that, great, but it's pretty noisy and not in the "check out my exhaust, guys" kind of way. It's quite a fun car, though. The BRZ is very tossable.

Hyundai is a piece of junk, imo. IIRC they just got recalled for something relating to brakes.
      12-12-2014, 08:20 AM   #10
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claud1u005 View Post
Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate. In terms of driving, the car will be my DD, can't afford 2 cars( not yet at least) and in terms of space, it will be me and my gf with some sort of luggage.. Don't think i am going to carry furniture ) but for luggage space i consider the 1er more than suitable for me. I wanted to hear you opinion in comparison with the e92 in terms of driving more, i'm not the guy that pushes the car non-stop, i'm the guy who likes to have some sideways fun with the car from time to time, mostly the power i would need it for overtakes rather than circuit races( though i would absolutely love to trash it on a racetrack) and in terms of suspension i am planning to change it on my future car( and brakes also) no matter the brand.
Get a 125i and a flash tune. That'll give you a NA straight 6 making 270BHP that will be incredibly reliable. We have a member or two who had a FRS/BRZ/GT86 and switched to a 128i shortly after.. Safe to say he likes the 128i more.

To be clear, america has the 128i at 230HP. Europe and most of the world has the 125i 200hp, and the 130i@ 265hp. The catch22 is that the 125i comes with all the hardware to make it make as much as a 130i with just a tune.

The back seats are very usable, even my mom doesn't mind the back seat for shorter trips to the mall, or out to dinner, etc. They fold down and i can fit 4 rims and tires between the cabin and trunk believe it or not.

I also get about 26MPG highway and around 20 in town if i drive normal(quick, but not asshole like).
      12-12-2014, 08:41 AM   #11
Claud1u005
Registered
Rep

Cool, Thanks for the tips, I registered today at Toyota Danmark(Copenhagen) for a test drive with the GT86 and I hope I may be able to drive one in the next week(coz afterward i'm leaving for holidays). And also I desperately want to ride with a 1 series Coupe, no matter the engine, it's the only BMW in the last 7 years I could not manage to drive yet. I drove the Hatchback and I kinda liked it, only think i do not like is the body style.. and i thought maybe the coupe would drive differently.
Appreciate 0