BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-09-2018, 12:08 PM   #1
JPRES
joey perez
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

turbo timer 135i n55

hey guys, just picked up a 2012 135i m sport automatic over the weekend and im ready to start the build!

ive already ordered an oil catch can, will install on wednesday

my question for the forum is about the turbo timer

ive done a bit of reading stating it doesnt need it because of the post water pump circulation etc.. but 70% of the reason id like to install a turbo timer is because i do alot of ins and outs, meaning going to the store real quick, stopping by the store, and my personal favorite is i tend to usually start up the car in the morning for work and as soon as i start up i realize i forgot my wallet in the house, so id have to shut the car off, run upstairs so on so forth. my last car had a timer and i used it almost daily.

so does anyone have and recommendations? if so, pictures of where you mounted it as well would be greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 12:28 PM   #2
Toome
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyperez View Post
hey guys, just picked up a 2012 135i m sport automatic over the weekend and im ready to start the build!

ive done a bit of reading stating it doesnt need it because of the post water pump circulation etc.. but 70% of the reason id like to install a turbo timer is because i do alot of ins and outs, meaning going to the store real quick, stopping by the store, and my personal favorite is i tend to usually start up the car in the morning for work and as soon as i start up i realize i forgot my wallet in the house, so id have to shut the car off, run upstairs so on so forth. my last car had a timer and i used it almost daily.

so does anyone have and recommendations? if so, pictures of where you mounted it as well would be greatly appreciated
No need for a turbo timer on our cars. You're better off investing in a FMIC.
BimmerAg425.00
      04-09-2018, 12:39 PM   #3
Cmoney135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyperez View Post

It's fine I do the same in and outs all the time. Just make sure you take it for a long ride at least once a week at minimum to rid the condensation from the oil.

Otherwise one day you will pop open your oil cap and find a milky suprise
Appreciate 1
BimmerAg425.00
      04-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

No need for a timer.

If you run into a store you can technically leave the car running, take the keys and lock the car (assuming you have comfort access).

If not, I'd suggest not forgetting your wallet so much

If you are often making short trips make sure your oil temps get up to temp every now and then as someone else suggested.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 09:59 PM   #5
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

From my Saab 900 turbo days I still let my turbo cars idle 30 seconds or so before shutting off🤔
Appreciate 0