BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-24-2007, 04:24 PM   #111
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
I had deposit on the E92 M3, but because recent reviews don't show a clear indication that M3 separates itself from rest of the pack anymore so I moved my deposit over to the 135i. As far as how does a 7 years old civic si compares to a 07 civic, I don't know because this is my first civic and I got it because I was out of a car and was waiting for the M3.

Hey if you have money to squander every time BMW puts a M in your face that's fine but not everyone here runs a charity for BMW. I am interested in everyone's opinions because they provide different point of view. They don't have to agree with me but I don't go around running my mouth off calling people's decision bullshit. BMW M cars thus far have been great cars and much desired, but I sure won't buy a M car for the sake of the badge as some of you have indicted you would.

A wise one once said ///M is an M, therefore BMW can just take off the I and slap on a factory M badge and some of you will buy into that. That's the view you are supporting. The argument here is not whether M is a great car it is rather would some of you buy anything with a M on it. If you don't you aren't a real enthusiast.
Robert, you are one of the few guys on here whos opinion I respect. I dont think anyone on this post is saying they would buy it just for the badge. In all honestly, you are in the minority of people that would prefer a 135i over an E92 M3. Mainly because BMW does not mess up with the 3 series and from the CarandDriver review I dont think they did with the E92.

Btw, I could believe that the avg. millionaire owns/owned an F-150. My Dad is one and he's owned 3. But there is no way he would pick an 135i over an E92 M3. In fact he dosent even like the fact that a 1 series is coming.(he's an e46 owner)
      07-24-2007, 04:39 PM   #112
imported_Sweeper
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthetect View Post
M: -m- [em]
-adjective
1. An automobile manufactured by BMW can be described as an "M" if it is based on one of the standard body styles of the moniker and is tuned by some of the world's greatest automotive engineers passionately interacting and based off test results from die-hard performance enthusiasts and race-car drivers based on a documented history of excellence, to create a 100% balanced car, focused on the driver, taking into account every facet of the driving experience as a whole. as opposed to garage wrench monkeys who buy stiffer springs and a new exhaust and sit at the drag strip.

-noun
2. The heart and soul of BMW. If you dont get it, you dont get it. Dont buy one. We dont want you to own one. Tune your own crap.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 04:40 PM   #113
Won35i
Unofficial Official "IN"
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi Alpine Weiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
Robert, you are one of the few guys on here whos opinion I respect. I dont think anyone on this post is saying they would buy it just for the badge. In all honestly, you are in the minority of people that would prefer a 135i over an E92 M3. Mainly because BMW does not mess up with the 3 series and from the CarandDriver review I dont think they did with the E92.

Btw, I could believe that the avg. millionaire owns/owned an F-150. My Dad is one and he's owned 3. But there is no way he would pick an 135i over an E92 M3. In fact he dosent even like the fact that a 1 series is coming.(he's an e46 owner)
Obviously, there are German millionaires that like the car though, because if they didnt then we wouldnt be getting a 1 series here in the US. Im not trying to sound like a smart ass here, just stating the obvious. So again its a preference thing. At first I didnt like the thought of a 1 series, because I always said that the 3 series was the poor mans bimmer. My mind has since changed. The lowest bmw is the better than most of the best american cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 04:47 PM   #114
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ito135i View Post
Geez, no one's going to grab on to my e-dick is so big cuz I'm rich comment? Comon guys.
No reason to respond. A fleet of M3's? lol...absurd.
      07-24-2007, 04:55 PM   #115
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Won35i View Post
Obviously, there are German millionaires that like the car though, because if they didnt then we wouldnt be getting a 1 series here in the US. Im not trying to sound like a smart ass here, just stating the obvious. So again its a preference thing. At first I didnt like the thought of a 1 series, because I always said that the 3 series was the poor mans bimmer. My mind has since changed. The lowest bmw is the better than most of the best american cars.
Personally I like to judge a car company by their lowest car. Now that takes a whole lot to make you lowest priced model great.
      07-24-2007, 04:57 PM   #116
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:

I agree--I would never buy ANYTHING based on the badge. However, there IS a track record with BMW to begin with, and a further track record with the M badge as well. I had an idea of what to expect when I got into a BMW, as well as that glorious first time I drove an M3, based on what the brand meant to other people that I know. That's not buying into a badge--that's trusting a brand. The car still has to deliver--otherwise the reputation and everything that goes with it would suffer.

And yes--I would rather have an E92 M3 than my E92 328i, just as I would rather have an M1 over a 135i. If the M failed to deliver, then of course that opinion might change. But I have yet to see an M version bow down to a regular BMW--and I am willing to bet that the E92 M3 and the possible M1 would follow suit.

I truly believe many people seek out others on these internet forums for the wrong reasons--aka to justify whatever purchase they have made. If I had chosen to do that, I would not have been on E90post very long--where many consider the average 328i owner to be a complete moron. :biggrin:
      07-24-2007, 05:17 PM   #117
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:

Thanks. Maybe Maximus is right and I just don't have the 70k to spend on the M3 and trade it in for something else if it isn't the champion anymore, which I have high hope it will be again. 135i is definitely for someone in their 20s and early 30s, and I wouldn't buy itself myself if I am older than this age group.

I never claimed an *35i is better than M. My stance all along has been I won't take a ///M car regardless how it performs. If the M3 gets better reviews from owners in UK after delivery I might hop back on that list.
      07-24-2007, 05:17 PM   #118
imported_Sweeper
Private
Rep
Drives:

similar argument...

Similar arguments have been made for ages in the honda forums...

Why should I buy a Type R when I can add a turbo to my <fill in the blank> and destroy your Type R??? :iono:

WHY buy this when.............

This is MUCH FASTER and BETTER LOOKING!!

Here at 1addicts.com we have:

Why should I buy a M1 when my 135i with PROCEED v1.2.3.4, LSD, down pipe, aftermarkget carbon hood, aftermarket carbon roof, aftermarket carbon seats, light weight battery, and glittering Green PAINT is <fill in comment here.>
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 05:20 PM   #119
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

it is ignorant to consider the people who would buy an ///M car just because it has an M badge worthy of any type of discussion. and i think it is safe to say none of them are here. and those of us here would never do so without (say in the case of the M1) at least test driving the 135i.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 05:32 PM   #120
murdoc158
Private
Rep
Drives:

I think the major problem between the regular models and the ///M models is that there isn't THAT big of a difference anymore. Twenty years ago, there was major distinction between the regular E30 and the E30 M3. Visually the M3 looked the part. It had the engine to back it up, and the numbers on the track to prove it. Same thing with the E39 M5, E36 M3, E46 M3, and E60 M5.

Then a few years ago, the E90/92 comes into play. Granted, a stock 335i probably won't have the numbers to go head to head with the new M3. Visually, they look very similar, though almost every panel on the M3 is different. The point I'm trying to make is that technology has made such advances and competitors are offering higher end products similar to BMW. Take the RS4. 6 year ago, no one would have guessed the new M3 would come with a 4.0L V8 (as much as the BMW PTG ALMS team wanted one). Meanwhile, BMW has continued to improve on the "base" models, almost making it necessary to equip the M3 with a V8.

At this point, the only thing that can be compared is the feedback of the car with the driver. My E36 M3 was my first BMW. I drove it once and instantly fell in love. I've driven a friend's E46 323Ci, and my dad's E46 330Ci (auto), but I have never really pushed them to the limit. The steering feel on my friend's 323Ci was nice, but the steering felt way too light compared to my M3. The 323Ci also had 255/35R18 tires, and my M3 has 235/40R18's. If anything I was hoping the steering would be heavier on the 323 just from the tire size alone. Are the current BMWs the same way, with their light, very easy steering feel? I wish I could offer more insight past this, but I cannot.

Is light steering enough to make me not buy a 135i? No, not even close. If the electric steering is anything like my wife's Mini Cooper, I will be happy. However, if the M1 is made, and it feels as good or better then my M3, I will have to think long and hard before I make a choice.
      07-24-2007, 05:36 PM   #121
Won35i
Unofficial Official &quot;IN&quot;
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post
Similar arguments have been made for ages in the honda forums...

Why should I buy a Type R when I can add a turbo to my <fill in the blank> and destroy your Type R??? :iono:

WHY buy this when.............

This is MUCH FASTER and BETTER LOOKING!!

Here at 1addicts.com we have:

Why should I buy a M1 when my 135i with PROCEED v1.2.3.4, LSD, down pipe, aftermarkget carbon hood, aftermarket carbon roof, aftermarket carbon seats, light weight battery, and glittering Green PAINT is <fill in comment here.>

This is not similar and here is the reason why. You are modifying a car. If you take a stock M1 and a stock 135 and the 135 wins, youll have a lot of expectations of an M crushed. Now youre talking a stock type r against a boost 4 banger. The type R doesnt stand a chance. Stock to Stock vs Stock to Modified arent even appropriate classifications. Its not fair when it all comes down to it. Heres a given situation, if there ever is a production M1 and car and driver does another VIR race with a 135, I would be very disappointed to see a 1.xx second quicker 135 over an M1. It wouldnt stop me from buying the M1 completely, but it would definitely make me reconsider.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 07:13 PM   #122
dumesday4u
Rep
Drives:

do all the boosting your want to the 135i and have a race with taz's e46 m3 =]...its such a waste of time to even bother comparing a car now and one that came out 7 years ago. if u want a cheap and fast car, get the evo, sti, srt4, but its still no M. even though my next car is going to be the 135i, i still wish i had an e46 m3...such a beauty...sigh...
      07-25-2007, 06:01 AM   #123
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ito135i View Post
I could pay cash for a fleet of m3's. And I purchased a 335, cash. Sorry. You can call it what you want.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight guy!!! I guess you must have went directly to Munich with this bag of cash and pondered for seconds over this fleet. Last I checked the CURRENT M3 is still not on sale yet, so I'm not exactly sure what you turned down daddy warbucks.

Quote:
I had deposit on the E92 M3, but because recent reviews don't show a clear indication that M3 separates itself from rest of the pack anymore so I moved my deposit over to the 135i.
Rob, that's cool dude. I love the 135i so far from what I've seen/read. Mine is already ordered and I'll be driving it come Dec. Would I have dropped the E92 M for it? No way! When people say stuff like this I just find it hard to believe. I would understand if you said you've decided to get a GTR, RS4/5, Carrera, C63, Cayman S, but a 135i??????? Man, I have a real tough time believing that. And stop making car buying decisions on what the media says. Drive it 1st!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 06:39 AM   #124
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

So back on to the topic

Here is a quote from Car Magazine UK

"The 135i will be a very tasty car, but that’s as tasty as it will get. BMW has categorically ruled out a hotter Motorsport version, probably because it would pose a badging problem (the M1 holds a very special place in Munich’s heart) and it would also step on the toes of the M3."

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/first_o...sid=826&page=5
      07-25-2007, 11:29 AM   #125
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
So back on to the topic

Here is a quote from Car Magazine UK

"The 135i will be a very tasty car, but that’s as tasty as it will get. BMW has categorically ruled out a hotter Motorsport version, probably because it would pose a badging problem (the M1 holds a very special place in Munich’s heart) and it would also step on the toes of the M3."

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/first_o...sid=826&page=5
They've been saying this for a very long time now. If all goes well here with the 1, the M1 shall follow.
      07-25-2007, 11:58 AM   #126
Maximus Decimus
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
They've been saying this for a very long time now. If all goes well here with the 1, the M1 shall follow.
I think so too. They also said no M for the X5. Then this surfaces on WCF today... The 4.8 is already out there, so this would have to be a 10 or 12 cylinder. Yummy. Way off topic I know, but BM seems to have some tricks up their sleeves.

I said a long time ago in some old post, I think an M1 with dual exhausts integrated into the rear diffuser/bumper (on either side of the cutout) would be . I hope they're listening.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 02:06 PM   #127
Won35i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus Decimus View Post
I think so too. They also said no M for the X5. Then this surfaces on WCF today... The 4.8 is already out there, so this would have to be a 10 or 12 cylinder. Yummy. Way off topic I know, but BM seems to have some tricks up their sleeves.

I said a long time ago in some old post, I think an M1 with dual exhausts integrated into the rear diffuser/bumper (on either side of the cutout) would be . I hope they're listening.
I saw pictures. I dont know whether they were photochops or just some propaganda, but it was supposed to be the M1. Yes, it had dual canisters.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 02:32 PM   #128
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
I think it would be hard to put a deposit down on one of these cars before being able to actually see and drive it. I know the practice is pretty common, in fact I did the same thing with my E92. The difference was, that I had a frame of reference--I could test drive E46 coupes and E90 sedans, giving me an idea of where the E92 would stand.

Bust since the 1er has never been over here in the US, you are going to have a tough time getting an idea of exactly how it is going to drive and feel. And satisfaction with the look of a car can never be achieved, IMO, until you see it in person. Just an observation.
      07-25-2007, 04:45 PM   #129
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

^yeah i could never do it, especially without driving it for comparison with the competition.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 05:48 PM   #130
Won35i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelk View Post
scott has a very good track record. as far as i'm concerned this is confirmation that an M1 will be made at some time down the road.

i'm going to go ahead and get the 135 then upgrade when the time comes!

looking at the big picture, if it's the goal of bmw to move the m3 to another price-point / luxury level then it makes complete sense to introduce the 135 to fill the gap so they don't leave people behind.

I agree with you on the 135 vs M1 in that case as long as its a return to true M-"acy".

Hes still a mystery man to me. Im not trying to call his bluff, but I could say that I am from Munich and post a bunch of blarbs, making it look like I work for BMW and really be living a lie. No one would know...

Theres no reason why he cant just say, "yeah I work for BMW, but thats all you get". Though I guess that could be a lie too. I dont know.... Theres lots of propaganda on the internet, so Im apt to not believe much.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 05:51 PM   #131
Won35i
Rep

For some reason my post got sent to page 7... weird, but I still dont buy the "inside" source. People are good at practicing propaganda online.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 05:53 PM   #132
Won35i
Rep

lol who is he!?
Appreciate 0