BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #89
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Right after my PPK was installed the throttle tip in was too sensitive. That went away in a few days. So, if it is strange at first, give it at least one tank of gas to adapt. My car is not yet broken in, so I don't know what it's potential is. All I can compare it to is a 2011 with 7700 miles on it and no PPK, which isn't the best comparison, but it seems stronger, at least from 2000 to 4500 RPM.
      05-26-2012, 02:39 AM   #90
20AE
Crimson
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6sp

Add me to the list. Took my car in for service and had the update done. It's been a few months now and I'm used to it I guess, but those videos show exactly what they have turned the n55 135i into. It's really sad driving my dad's honda fit or my sister's lexus IS and they both have better throttle repsponse now than my 135. The other big thing I notice is after starting out in first gear at half throttle, as revs build up to 4000rpm or so, I hear the turbo's sound characteristic change and the car requires more throttle to keep the momentum you started with. It's just odd. It's like doing anything less than flooring the accelerator 100% is odd and delayed.

I hope there is a solution for it soon. Ive also started looking into the PPK as a solution. A local dealership shows it for $950 with installation on their webiste. They've sent me a 20% off parts and accessories coupon recently, so I'm thinking about it.

Oh and btw, my friend who's a bmw owner and mechanic for bmw tells me I'm crazy and that the update had nothing to do with throttle response or turbo. I insist there's a new lag and he states that it's just a characteristic of the n55. Sure...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #91
ba83
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT

I called a local dealer to find out, they said they will not touch the car's software if I am there just for and oil change

Also 20% off sounds good, where did you get that
      05-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #92
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20AE View Post
Add me to the list. Took my car in for service and had the update done. It's been a few months now and I'm used to it I guess, but those videos show exactly what they have turned the n55 135i into. It's really sad driving my dad's honda fit or my sister's lexus IS and they both have better throttle repsponse now than my 135. The other big thing I notice is after starting out in first gear at half throttle, as revs build up to 4000rpm or so, I hear the turbo's sound characteristic change and the car requires more throttle to keep the momentum you started with. It's just odd. It's like doing anything less than flooring the accelerator 100% is odd and delayed.

I hope there is a solution for it soon. Ive also started looking into the PPK as a solution. A local dealership shows it for $950 with installation on their webiste. They've sent me a 20% off parts and accessories coupon recently, so I'm thinking about it.
By all accounts here the PPK1 does solve this issue. Its a good way to still keep your BMW warranty until you run out of time or miles.

Then I would get a good flash tune like: Cobb or Giac or the like. I personally feel that a flash is the only way to make reliable HP with these cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20AE View Post
Oh and btw, my friend who's a bmw owner and mechanic for bmw tells me I'm crazy and that the update had nothing to do with throttle response or turbo. I insist there's a new lag and he states that it's just a characteristic of the n55. Sure...
The changes are very subtle but noticeable. Your mechanic friend just doesn't have enough seat time in a 135i to be able to tell the SW changes that effect the way the engine runs. Even for me it took me some time to detect the added lag and poor part throttle response... bc at WOT the engine runs fairly well. It is at part throttle that the new SW sucks.

My engine tuner Marcel said he did not think my car ran that bad. In fact he said he had tuned a PPK2 car the day before... and my car stock with the new SW(with lag) drove much faster and better that that car he tuned teh day before.

But as soon as Marcel loaded hsi new flash SW onto my car and the engine started up... it was the same noisey and responsive N54 I had grown to LOVE! Marcel gave me my old engine response back... with an added 80+ PS gain in the mid range and top end power. Whats not to LOVE about THAT!!!

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #93
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Mine goes in for the PPK at 8am on Monday, I'm very nervous that it won't fix the problem.. LoL!

I see that GIAC will be doing an N55 tune soon & there is a dealer near me in the UK.

I do have another avenue, there is a chap in Germany that is confident he can flash my DME back to the original tune.
      05-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #94
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep

Car went in this morning, dealer can't download the software to their computer let alone flash my car. It's getting quite comical now
      05-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #95
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbles View Post
Car went in this morning, dealer can't download the software to their computer let alone flash my car. It's getting quite comical now
Bloody 'ell mate, you really have struck comedy gold with that dealer

They need a good
      05-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #96
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep

Yup, it's beyond a joke.

Last news was BMW uk don't know what the issue is & a puma case has been raised with AG
      05-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #97
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep

Still no PPK... BMW really need to pull their fecking finger out of their ass!
      06-07-2012, 05:46 AM   #98
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep

PPK fitted! only problem is I have to wait 4 more days till I can see if its made any difference as I'm away on business at the moment
      06-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #99
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep

Picked the car up, less than impressed, video to follow.
      06-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #100
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbles View Post
Picked the car up, less than impressed, video to follow.
Give it a a bit. My car drove strangely for a bit after the PPK was installed, then it was fine later.
      06-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #101
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

^^ +1. Yea... you should drive the car a few hundred miles to let the DME to adjust/adapt fully. Then you will feel more more and response.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 12:02 AM   #102
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep

There is a definite difference, the throttle response is improved but not back to what it was, there is still a dead spot in the initial 10 degrees, if that makes any sense.

It still doesn't feel as "strong" as it used to, what I mean is it used to be effortless to drive, eager to pull. Maybe the DME does need to adapt... Would the adaptations have been reset when the PPK was installed?

Thanks guys

06-25-2012, 06:42 AM   #103
Ccchappell
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3, 2013 X3

Hi Wibbles,
Any update after you've been able to drive for a while? Services says my 2011 needs the DME update and I have been putting off.

They also say I can not get the PPK since I don't have the Sports Package, even though my 135 does have the oil cooler - frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #104
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccchappell View Post
Hi Wibbles,
Any update after you've been able to drive for a while? Services says my 2011 needs the DME update and I have been putting off.

They also say I can not get the PPK since I don't have the Sports Package, even though my 135 does have the oil cooler - frustrating.
Wibbles posted in another thread that he traded in his 135i for a F10 530d last weekend. He was fed up with this issue. At least he is still in the BMW family.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #105
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep

Yup, got fucked off with the situation & traded it for a car that works
      08-09-2012, 06:20 AM   #106
|2ed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Anyone can confirm that the PPK can restore the pops and gurgles?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #107
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by |2ed View Post
Anyone can confirm that the PPK can restore the pops and gurgles?
Its been posted before that the PPK does restore the great throttle response and gurgle.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #108
|2ed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Its been posted before that the PPK does restore the great throttle response and gurgle.
Dackelone, you are having the same problem of losing the pops after the S/W update right? Did you manage to restore them?

That's great. I think I may wana go for it and try.

Last edited by |2ed; 08-15-2012 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #109
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by |2ed View Post
Dackelone, you are having the same problem of losing the pops after the S/W update right? Did you manage to restore them?

That's great. I think I may wana go for it and try.
My engine still grumbles and pops... but not like before pre SW update. Its not so loud now or often the popping sounds. Before it really made nice noises in gear when you would decelerate. Now not so much.

Also when I started the engine cold... it was LOUD for the first two minutes or so.. then you would hear a loud CLANK from the exhaust flapper and then the egine idle reduced and was much quieter. Now with the SW its only somewhat loud for the first 30 secs or so. And no CLANK sound from the flapper.

My tuner told me you can not back date the SW. So his tune is based off of what BMW updated my SW too. I have been thinking of going back to my tuner and see IF he has some other new-er flash tune for me to try out. Maybe I will do that once I get a FMIC installed one of these days! lol I also need to install my N55 mid pipes that I have laying around here.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #110
funseries
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Just had this done on my N54 and there is a definite improvement... it's immediately noticeable. Whatever lag there was before it's like cut in at least by half now. Power delivery is still very smooth like stock but now it's more responsive. Before when I would punch it in 4th at 100 kph the car would pretty much do nothing for 1-1.5s and then boost would start to kick in. Now it's gradual pulls almost right away. Still, I know it's probably not perfect but I never had the chance to drive the car pre-DME update so any improvement is welcome.

As for sound, the exhaust is louder and a bit more aggressive at speed, and I do get an occasional burble on rev, but it seems to be pretty infrequent and not like the N55. Bah. I'm not expecting any more out of it sound wise but let's see in a few hundred more kms
Appreciate 0