BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-08-2015, 11:54 AM   #111
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakthru View Post
Has anyone figured out how to shut off or code out elsd yet? From my experience, shutting dsc and dtc completely off does not stop elsd or electronics from using the brakes, throttle cuts, timing cuts and boost reduction to keep the car in line under heavy throttle especially with high boost applications. Going WOT from a stop leads to power reduction for me mostly in 1st gear with all nannies off verified through logs. I also have a mechancel LSD installed.
Mine literally never goes on when I go from a dig, I also have alot of suspension mods done to help with traction. My new coilovers have 392lbs springs up front and 672lbs springs out pack that really help put power down.
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 08:56 PM   #112
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie1 View Post
Mine literally never goes on when I go from a dig, I also have alot of suspension mods done to help with traction. My new coilovers have 392lbs springs up front and 672lbs springs out pack that really help put power down.
That awesome man. Your car must ride good with those coils. Just stay away from BMW software updates which may change your traction control system.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2015, 06:14 PM   #113
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

The OP isn't accurate. It claims it does not cut engine power, but this stupid system absolutely cuts engine power, though most will never realize it and it only happens on the road course.

Quote:
If a wheel threatens to slip, it is individually braked: blocking momentum is directed to the wheel opposite, which thereby guarantees optimum drive power. When DSC or Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) is active, the engine power output is also adjusted.
If the sporting driver chooses to deactivate DSC or DTC, he still has the benefit of ADB-X, which then focuses on maximum forward drive and applies braking force only. A temperature control sensor ensures that the brakes do not overheat.
It won't throw a SES or any codes, but if you actually scan the DSC module on track you will see a code thrown that says "brake disc temperature too high, reduced engine output."

It has been killing me on the track. I even installed a mechanical LSD and it helped, but it still appears. Whenever I am driving the car hard with slip angle, the stupid computer thinks that I am overheating my brakes due to the differential braking corner braking and cuts engine power.

It is driving me nuts, and until someone can figure out how to code this out these cars are junk for track work.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 06:40 PM   #114
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

are you disabling dsc completely? I have no problems drifting my car but if I do not long press that button the nannies will stop my fun
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 06:51 PM   #115
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_mega View Post
are you disabling dsc completely? I have no problems drifting my car but if I do not long press that button the nannies will stop my fun
Yes, I never run with DSC or DTC on.

What I am talking about is subtle. IT is a function of the braking and only happens on the road course, not on the street.

It is not cutting power because of the e-lsd directly, it is cutting power because it thinks the brakes are overheating after track driving with e-lsd intervention over a prolonged period of time. I can get maybe two or three laps in with slip angle before it happens.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 07:45 PM   #116
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
Yes, I never run with DSC or DTC on.

What I am talking about is subtle. IT is a function of the braking and only happens on the road course, not on the street.

It is not cutting power because of the e-lsd directly, it is cutting power because it thinks the brakes are overheating after track driving with e-lsd intervention over a prolonged period of time. I can get maybe two or three laps in with slip angle before it happens.
I noticed I have this e-diff braking behavior during tight hair pins at the track, even with DSC off and my Quaife LSD. As I unwind the steering wheel, and apply steady light throttle input, towards the end of my turn, I feal an obvious surge of power, as if e-diff induced braking is released...
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 09:36 PM   #117
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
I noticed I have this e-diff braking behavior during tight hair pins at the track, even with DSC off and my Quaife LSD. As I unwind the steering wheel, and apply steady light throttle input, towards the end of my turn, I feal an obvious surge of power, as if e-diff induced braking is released...
I had the same experience and it sucks badly when you have all this power just to have it curtailed against your will. I have the quaife lsd too. Thank God. I have to say before elsd was updated on my car via software update, my car could easily spin wildly out of control in a good way with all this power. Over 425 wheel horsepower and 450 torque. I hate not being able to put all the power down anymore but I will say the car feels alot more safe than before and confident inspiring knowing the system is constantly trying to keep the car in line. In many cases, I can floor it and the system will intervene if the car can't put the power down safely by cutting boost, braking, throttle closures etc all while keeping the car moving forward. I hope somebody figure out how get around this problem. Anyone out there using the Alpina B3 Trans flash. I heard it may help in some way.

Last edited by brakthru; 08-14-2015 at 09:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 09:38 PM   #118
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I had the same experience and it sucks badly when you have all this power just to have it curtailed against your will. I have the quaife lsd too. Thank God. I have to say before elsd was updated on my car via software update, my car could easily spin wildly out of control in a good way with all this power. Over 425 wheel horsepower and 450 torque. I hate not being able to put all the power down anymore but I will say the car feels alot more safe than before and confident inspiring knowing the system is constantly trying to keep the car in line.
I am getting really sick of it because it is hurting my ability to turn a fast lap. Every single session my fast lap is the 2nd lap and then I start to lose power. It's not because of tire or brake falloff either (Nt01 and Stoptech ST60 BBK). Every time I feel the car doing that, I read the codes and it shows "reduced engine output, brake disc temp too high." Really sucks because I have a Pure Turbo upgrade and can't even use it on the road course.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 09:51 PM   #119
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I am getting really sick of it because it is hurting my ability to turn a fast lap. Every single session my fast lap is the 2nd lap and then I start to lose power. It's not because of tire or brake falloff either (Nt01 and Stoptech ST60 BBK). Every time I feel the car doing that, I read the codes and it shows "reduced engine output, brake disc temp too high." Really sucks because I have a Pure Turbo upgrade and can't even use it on the road course.
Do you have the Alpina B3 Trans flash by any chance. I'm thinking about trying it since I read somewhere the traction control intervenes less by allowing more wheel spin. I'm not sure how the flash would help but I do know several modules including dsc, dme and Trans have to be aligned during the software update since they rely on each other to communicate parameters to influence the behavior of the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 02:06 PM   #120
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

What happens when the rear wheel speed sensors are disconnected?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 02:07 PM   #121
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I do have the Alpina flash, but it doesn't really have anything to do with DSC or traction. It flashes the TCU not the DSC module.

When the rear wheel speed sensors are disconnected I have no clue what happens.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 02:23 PM   #122
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Well being the wheel speed has to be the primary input for the ediff, removing the input should disable it.
Question is what else will be lost and will the pending codes affect power output in any way.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 02:25 PM   #123
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Well being the wheel speed has to be the primary input for the ediff, removing the input should disable it.
Question is what else will be lost and will the pending codes affect power output in any way.
I'm guessing you'd lose ABS, and I'd rather not do that since the car is a daily driver as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 02:51 PM   #124
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm guessing you'd lose ABS, and I'd rather not do that since the car is a daily driver as well.
That's correct different modules but they do depend on each other for certain values and inputs especially when the dme request torque reduction or delayed shifting which I've experienced.
I haven't disconnected the rear brake sensors and don't wish too because you will lose ABS and your speedometer. I believe the ecu will default to a low power mode as well. I have experienced all of the above after completely removing ABS fuses. I've also removed the dsc fuse and even disconnected dsc module. This results in low power mode also. The only thing that will work is reprogramming more than likely.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2015, 03:01 PM   #125
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I do have the Alpina flash, but it doesn't really have anything to do with DSC or traction. It flashes the TCU not the DSC module.

When the rear wheel speed sensors are disconnected I have no clue what happens.
How much power and torque do you think you are pushing? The reason I ask is because I recently updated to an e60 tune with jb4 which causes wheel slip when I punch it even when I'm already going 65mph in a straight line. I have an automatic transmission. Immediately before the rear wheels can slide out, the ecu closes throttle or apply brakes or both. I can't tell because it's happening so fast. The rear end literally starts to move to the side and then a power reduction. I wonder what would happen without that safety net. Not really but you know what I mean. I dont want wheels sliding out on the interstate at that speed. This was with DSC/DTC off. Has anyone else had that experience?
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2015, 03:30 PM   #126
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
How much power and torque do you think you are pushing? The reason I ask is because I recently updated to an e60 tune with jb4 which causes wheel slip when I punch it even when I'm already going 65mph in a straight line. I have an automatic transmission. Immediately before the rear wheels can slide out, the ecu closes throttle or apply brakes or both. I can't tell because it's happening so fast. The rear end literally starts to move to the side and then a power reduction. I wonder what would happen without that safety net. Not really but you know what I mean. I dont want wheels sliding out on the interstate at that speed. This was with DSC/DTC off. Has anyone else had that experience?
I am putting down between 400 and 425whp, but in track trim it is probably closer to 375.

I might have found two parameters that will enable the e-diff to be coded on and off. They are:

E84_AX_REF_DIFF_LOCK

and

DIFF_Lock

I will try coding these out and then on my track day on Friday see if it changes anything.
Appreciate 4
      08-17-2015, 03:36 PM   #127
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep
Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
You would loose the auto brake force distribution as well which will help with braking as well, though it matters less on even well paved surfaces like a track.

Quote:
I am putting down between 400 and 425whp, but in track trim it is probably closer to 375.

I might have found two parameters that will enable the e-diff to be coded on and off. They are:

E84_AX_REF_DIFF_LOCK

and

DIFF_Lock

I will try coding these out and then on my track day on Friday see if it changes anything.

You could pull the fuse for the system as well, makes it simple to reverse. You'll probably lose abs too however which will be pretty hard to adjust to.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 04:00 PM   #128
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

E84_AX_REF_DIFF_LOCK

and

DIFF_Lock

Good deal!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 11:17 AM   #129
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:

E84_AX_REF_DIFF_LOCK

and

DIFF_Lock

I'd really like to hear if this works out
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 10:49 PM   #130
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

It worked. HUGE shout out to Alex at Alpine for doing the actual coding and staying late to help save my track day. There is also another value he coded out directly related to the brake disc too high, reduced power via DSC command.

It is a revelation being able to use the full mechanical LSD without ediff intervention. My brake pad wear also improved significantly. And most importantly, I did not get a single stored "reduced power via DSC command" code in the DSC module, and I got no power cuts on the track.

Alex had stupidly low prices too. Highly recommend you just pay him to have it done, it is the cheapest and best mod you will do for your car.

Also, why the heck has nobody figured this out before?
Appreciate 5
Bimmer TV125.00
      08-23-2015, 07:27 AM   #131
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Quote:
It worked. HUGE shout out to Alex at Alpine for doing the actual coding and staying late to help save my track day. There is also another value he coded out directly related to the brake disc too high, reduced power via DSC command.

It is a revelation being able to use the full mechanical LSD without ediff intervention. My brake pad wear also improved significantly. And most importantly, I did not get a single stored "reduced power via DSC command" code in the DSC module, and I got no power cuts on the track.

Alex had stupidly low prices too. Highly recommend you just pay him to have it done, it is the cheapest and best mod you will do for your car.

Good work !!!

Can Alex manage to package this somehow, or sell his know-how to PTF (ProTuningFreaks)? Would love to be able to code changes via Cobb AP3 device in a custom map, or as an option.

Those of you with the know-how and a functional INPA may be in luck too.
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 01:32 PM   #132
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Awesome work man! I hope to get this done on my 335i soon. The parameters should be the same on my car too I hope. This has to be the single best discovery in a long time concerning traction control. So, how does the car feel with just the real LSD working? Are you putting more power down? I'm sure drifting is a bit easier now with both wheels trying to equalize torque and wheel spin as much as possible. Powering out of corners has to be awesome now. I'm sure you notice a slightly different drive on spirited daily driving too. Thank you for the update.
Appreciate 0