BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-19-2007, 10:25 AM   #1
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

The 135i NEEDS and hopefully will get STREET CRED

I hear people saying that the 135i costs waaay to much for what it is. I believe the problem is that these people dont go beyond the surface. They just think small BMW. I believe once the car is out and the 'rags can give us some stock acceleration, slalom, and quartermile times people will start to think otherwise. I mean check this out:

"LOS ANGELES — Subaru of America on Thursday said the 2008 WRX STI will start at $35,640, including a $645 destination charge, when it goes on sale in early January.
The '08 STI with the BBS wheel package starts at $37,640. The top-of-the-line '08 STI with the BBS wheel package and a navigation package — a new option that includes an integrated vehicle information center — starts at $39,440, including shipping.
The '08 STI is equipped with the revised 2.5-liter Subaru boxer engine that produces 305 horsepower at 6,000 rpm, a gain of 12 hp over the previous model"

I havent heard anything about many saying this car is overpriced. Same with the EVO. People are awwed by these cars capabilities. I consider myself one of them. I went to the Subie dealer and Mitsu dealer to sit in the base lancer and Impreza. I just couldnt imagine spending 30k+ on a car with that interior. That is the deal breaker for me. But anyhow, the purpose of this thread was to point out that there is a $35 difference between the new STI and the new 135i.
      11-19-2007, 10:41 AM   #2
BtheMoneW
Private
Rep
Drives: MKIV 1.8T

I agree. I just wish people would stop bitching about the price already...if you can't afford it move down to the 128i or look at other cars in the market. No matter how much you complain and whine, BMW is not changing its price.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 10:46 AM   #3
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Another thing to keep in mind is that the WRX STi and the Evo X are the 'halo' cars of those two manufacturers. The 1er is a niche vehicle in the larger BMW lineup with the M models in the 'halo' role.

I'm waiting for the slalom. skidpad and 60-0 braking numbers (they have to come from a source that uses consistent testing though). I'm not concerned about the acceleration figures - as long as it's faster than She Who Must Be Obeyed's car. ; -)
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
NJKSC27
automobile aficionado
Rep
Drives:

i also agree

the evo and sti are street/track race cars....raw performance. right now the 1 just comes across as an "entry" level BMW. i have driven an STI and its basically jaw dropping fast. i just cant see the 1 being like that. and the wait continues........
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 10:54 AM   #5
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

I can't wait for some real review numbers as well ... although I would doubt in some areas the 1 would keep up with the Evo Or STI, but those cars have a different purpose than the 135i as well ...

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 11:02 AM   #6
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
I can't wait for some real review numbers as well ... although I would doubt in some areas the 1 would keep up with the Evo Or STI, but those cars have a different purpose than the 135i as well ...

Crowley
Yesirr, I totally agree with you. They have very different purposes. I am of the firm belief that stock for stock both the STI and EVO will be looking at the rear roundel the whole time.

Hugo, I totally forgot about the braking times too. I wanna see just how bad-ass those 6pot brakes are!

We can all consider the 135i the ''halo-car'' for the 1 series franchise. For the next 2 years at least. I mean there are two different body styles AND at least 5 different engine variants right??
      11-19-2007, 11:08 AM   #7
phrozen06
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328it, RIP M3, E46 Sold

The 135 will no doubt have steet cred because all the R and D on engine mods have already been done done on the 335. So the 135 will have the ability to push over 400+ crank horsepower.

The price is essentially the same as the 88 ///M3 when it first came out.
      11-19-2007, 12:31 PM   #8
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

street cred?:iono:

... Call me crazy but that's exactly what it doesn't need...everyone will be wanting to red light race you in their big winged, neon lighted, coffee can exhausted, Civics/lancer/Impreza's/foci/etc....

And besides, track Cred is always the better/smarter cred....:respekt:
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 01:52 PM   #9
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Go to a Subaru board and you'll see plenty of people who think the STi is over priced. Also the Evo X price has not yet been revealed.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 02:00 PM   #10
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

[quote=Khobin~;38597]Call me crazy but that's exactly what it doesn't need...everyone will be wanting to red light race you in their big winged, neon lighted, coffee can exhausted, Civics/lancer/Impreza's/foci/etc./quote]

You old fart, you!

Just kidding. I agree with everything you said.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 02:17 PM   #11
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

[quote=1ster;38611]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khobin~ View Post
Call me crazy but that's exactly what it doesn't need...everyone will be wanting to red light race you in their big winged, neon lighted, coffee can exhausted, Civics/lancer/Impreza's/foci/etc./quote]

You old fart, you!

Just kidding. I agree with everything you said.
Hey every positive has a negative. Maybe those people will leave you the hell alone because they know they cant touch you.

LOVING the new Avatar 1ster
      11-19-2007, 08:34 PM   #12
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Why does a car need "street cred?"

Why do people insist on tying their car to their personality somehow?

WHO CARES?

Either the car does what you want for the price or it doesn't.

It's just a frickin' car.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 04:39 PM   #13
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
I hear people saying that the 135i costs waaay to much for what it is. I believe the problem is that these people dont go beyond the surface. They just think small BMW. I believe once the car is out and the 'rags can give us some stock acceleration, slalom, and quartermile times people will start to think otherwise. I mean check this out:

"LOS ANGELES — Subaru of America on Thursday said the 2008 WRX STI will start at $35,640, including a $645 destination charge, when it goes on sale in early January.
The '08 STI with the BBS wheel package starts at $37,640. The top-of-the-line '08 STI with the BBS wheel package and a navigation package — a new option that includes an integrated vehicle information center — starts at $39,440, including shipping.
The '08 STI is equipped with the revised 2.5-liter Subaru boxer engine that produces 305 horsepower at 6,000 rpm, a gain of 12 hp over the previous model"

I havent heard anything about many saying this car is overpriced. Same with the EVO. People are awwed by these cars capabilities. I consider myself one of them. I went to the Subie dealer and Mitsu dealer to sit in the base lancer and Impreza. I just couldnt imagine spending 30k+ on a car with that interior. That is the deal breaker for me. But anyhow, the purpose of this thread was to point out that there is a $35 difference between the new STI and the new 135i.
Both the evo and sti you mention are true enthusiast cars. How can the 135i compete with them in autocross or anything else without a limited slip differential? Both of those cars have REAL performance drivetrains.. not even considering the awd difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 05:02 PM   #14
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4135i View Post
Both the evo and sti you mention are true enthusiast cars. How can the 135i compete with them in autocross or anything else without a limited slip differential? Both of those cars have REAL performance drivetrains.. not even considering the awd difference.
The slalom numbers of a 335i is not very far off from the Evo and STI. What will impress me is how well the 1 will do without the wizardry of AWD and all those other systems the rally rockets have. When I say compete, I mean acceleration, braking, and the like. I for one dont believe the 135i is meant to be taken to the track. Unless you add an LSD and the like.
      11-27-2007, 10:34 PM   #15
Ryephile
Not a Newbie
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKSC27 View Post
i also agree

the evo and sti are street/track race cars....raw performance. right now the 1 just comes across as an "entry" level BMW. i have driven an STI and its basically jaw dropping fast. i just cant see the 1 being like that. and the wait continues........
This is just my perspective here, but the STI and Evo are hardly "raw" in my book. They are factory hot-rods. This means they're still comfortable on cross country trip for those under 50 years old, have a radio, A/C, and all the modern accoutrements most of us are now accustomed to. To me, "raw" means cars like the Ferrari F40, 1974 Porsche 911 RS, and the current Lotus Elise.

The 135i is a luxo-comfy-barge that happens to handle decent and have a great engine. If the 135i has good potential, that's another story...just like the MINI Cooper S and VW GTI have good potential; they're just not "The Hotness" from the factory.

...that's my take on it.
Ryan
      11-27-2007, 10:58 PM   #16
schnell330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

adjusted for inflation, the 135i's price is about the same as the 2002tii's when it came out

My car doesn't park, it waits
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 11:03 PM   #17
Ryephile
Not a Newbie
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnell330i View Post
adjusted for inflation, the 135i's price is about the same as the 2002tii's when it came out
I'd be curious to see some numbers, but off the cuff, that sounds plausible. Thanks for the perspective.
      11-28-2007, 12:07 AM   #18
imported_Sweeper
Private
Rep
Drives:

The STi is overpriced!!! How's that?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 09:35 AM   #19
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
This is just my perspective here, but the STI and Evo are hardly "raw" in my book. They are factory hot-rods. This means they're still comfortable on cross country trip for those under 50 years old, have a radio, A/C, and all the modern accoutrements most of us are now accustomed to. To me, "raw" means cars like the Ferrari F40, 1974 Porsche 911 RS, and the current Lotus Elise.

The 135i is a luxo-comfy-barge that happens to handle decent and have a great engine. If the 135i has good potential, that's another story...just like the MINI Cooper S and VW GTI have good potential; they're just not "The Hotness" from the factory.

...that's my take on it.
Ryan
Totally disagree.

1.No Evo owner enjoys a long road trip in the car.

2. An Evo RS is about as "raw" as it gets. No radio, no A/C, no ABS, etc, etc, etc...
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 10:30 AM   #20
NJKSC27
automobile aficionado
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post

...that's my take on it.
Ryan
110% disagree.....the STI will suck across country. And yes an F40 is raw but also a supercar. An STI/EVO/etc... are raw performance at an affordable price. have you driven them?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 11:03 AM   #21
Ryephile
Not a Newbie
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKSC27 View Post
110% disagree.....the STI will suck across country. And yes an F40 is raw but also a supercar. An STI/EVO/etc... are raw performance at an affordable price. have you driven them?
Supercars aren't inherently raw (read: Bugatti Veyron), and a supercar isn't immune to comparison to a $30k rally rocket. If you're implying the Evo and STI for their price range, that may be relatively true. I would say the S2000 is more raw than either even though it's slower and has lower limits.I have an Evo 9 SE in my garage. When we bought it, we flew to LA to buy it and drove it back to Detroit. Honestly, it was a comfortable multi-thousand mile trip. I've also taken my friends '06 STI to the Dragon, which is 600 miles one way. These cars are high performers but are not uncomfortable unless you're a wuss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved
1.No Evo owner enjoys a long road trip in the car.2. An Evo RS is about as "raw" as it gets. No radio, no A/C, no ABS, etc, etc, etc..
Obviously you feel the Evo is more harsh than I do....I apparently have a higher threshold than most. I will give you that the RS is "more raw" than the GSR or MR's. I define raw as loud, harsh, rough, transient, and unflexing. A stock Evo, even the RS, doesn't touch most of those unless your reference is a Cadillac DTS.
      11-28-2007, 11:28 AM   #22
elusiveguy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved View Post
Go to a Subaru board and you'll see plenty of people who think the STi is over priced. Also the Evo X price has not yet been revealed.
I think it is, I remember when it was 32-33k msrp and that included stock BBS rims. Right now it's 35k without BBS, that's 135i territory yo! The 135i to me is good bang for the buck, and I believe a good competitor to the STi/Evo.
Appreciate 0