BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #23
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen View Post
How is this a supply driven market? There are far more potential buyers than there are cars.
Limited supply = supply driven market. Econ 101.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #24
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Regardless of what kind of market it is - overpriced cars will not sell.

I did some looking for a 1M but many sellers want over the original MSRP - they won't get that, at least, I wouldn't pay it.
      06-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #25
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnizu View Post
Limited supply = supply driven market. Econ 101.
I guess i look at it differently. I always learned limited supply means demand drives the price. Low demand means low price, high demand means high price on a limited supply. Kinda irrelevant at this point
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #26
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post

I did some looking for a 1M but many sellers want over the original MSRP - they won't get that, at least, I wouldn't pay it.
Unfortunately, other people are willing to pay it.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #27
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:

A car which gets sold at a given time period is by definition not overpriced, even if it is over MSRP or over whatever.

A car which is for sale but doesn't go anywhere for a stupid amount of time is an other story.

For instance, if BMW decides to give up on a M2 next year for x reason, 1M used market prices will rise even more, I guarantee you that.

If BMW makes a M2 and it disappoints the enthusiasts and motoring media and falls short against competition, 1M used market will remain high.

If they make a dream M car out of 2 series which has everything the 1M had and more, the used 1M market will start falling to a new level.

There is no way to predict future values, too many x factors and variables. Guys who sit and wait the price of 1M fall are mostly the same guys (or their uncles) who didn't have the faith for this bastard M imposter called 1M and did not want to buy the car when it was new without a test drive etc. which never happened for any one of us. Sometimes the risk takers win, this is that kind of a case with the 1M, and most of the original owners don't care much about where the prices will go anyway. If they sell the car they sell it for other reasons.

So, like every car purchase you should ask yourself instead, do you really want this car and do you want it now?
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 06-11-2013 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #28
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
I guess i look at it differently. I always learned limited supply means demand drives the price. Low demand means low price, high demand means high price on a limited supply. Kinda irrelevant at this point

Doesnt limited supply essentially produce high(er) demand? Much more people want the item than can have it.

Chances of finding a seller are more difficult than finding a buyer. More buyers equals more chance someone will pay more to have the item.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #29
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
Doesnt limited supply essentially produce high(er) demand? Much more people want the item than can have it.

Chances of finding a seller are more difficult than finding a buyer. More buyers equals more chance someone will pay more to have the item.
Just cuz the supply is limited doesn't mean anyone wants that supply. So I would say no, it doesnt.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #30
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:

Used 1M's are regularly selling well over MSRP. OP's asking price of 61k seems inline with some of the recent sales. I like you, personally wouldn't pay it as I am coming from a 135I, but if I wasn't I would be tempted.

OP, great looking car, goodluck with the sale.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #31
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Just cuz the supply is limited doesn't mean anyone wants that supply. So I would say no, it doesnt.
I guess I worded it incorrectly... I didnt mean a limited supply makes people want it more. The demand itself isnt increasing but because the supply is small or limited the demand is higher than it would be since the demand:supply ratio would be higher. A larger supply would satisfy the natural demand.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #32
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
A car which gets sold at a given time period is by definition not overpriced, even if it is over MSRP or over whatever.
A car which is for sale but doesn't go anywhere for a stupid amount of time is another story.
The E30 M3 was no instant success. It took some time before these became (immensely) popular, or 'went viral' as we tend to say now. Try buying one in excellent condition nowadays - soaring prices for this benchmark ///M car. Popularity can evolve, for better or for worse:
"When they [E30 M3] first came out it wasn't a real popular car. It was fairly expensive, it was powered by a 4-cylinder, it had these flares. They sat on showrooms for ever and ever. And finally, eventually, they were scooped up and people realized this is a pretty special car»."
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=10
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...99&postcount=6
      06-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #33
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
well all we can look at is fact: 1Ms are selling 2 years after production for well above MSRP. period.
Appreciate 0