BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-07-2019, 04:45 PM   #1
Subrage
Rep
Drives: '13 135is

Order in which to do maintece N55

I have a few item (OFHG's, Water pump / thermostat, and belt with new pulley's) to knock out this weekend on my 135is. Just want to make sure I have the right plan of attack.

Pull the engine cover, cowl, intake, under-body then fan.
Drain the oil and coolant
Pull the belt
Do the OFHG and cooler gasket
Replace the plastic coolant inlet with the metal version (next to the bottom ofh bolt)
Replace the water pump / Thermostat
Install old belt
Fill with oil and coolant
Bleed the cooling system
Pull the electrical plug on each of the fuel injectors
Do the oil priming procedure
Reconnect the injectors
Pull belt
Swap tensioner and pulleys
Install new belt
Install fan and Intake
Start car check for leaks
Install under-body, cowl and engine cover

Sound good? Or any recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 06:01 PM   #2
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Sounds like you have a pretty thorough plan of attack.
I've never heard of this oil priming procedure though, mind sharing?

Also, a couple extra things to maybe install while you're there. One would be the DV+ upgrade to beef up your diverter valve, and the other would be to install a Crankshaft seal plate, in case you ever have to deal with a shredded belt.

Probably too late for either of these though if you're planning to do the work this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 08:15 PM   #3
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post

Also, a couple extra things to maybe install while you're there. One would be the DV+ upgrade to beef up your diverter valve, and the other would be to install a Crankshaft seal plate, in case you ever have to deal with a shredded belt.

Probably too late for either of these though if you're planning to do the work this weekend.
Have you done this or know of anyone who has? I think it's something worth considering if not too difficult.
      11-07-2019, 08:44 PM   #4
Subrage
Rep
Drives: '13 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post

Priming process in post #3

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...php?p=24400866

Some say it's not necessary, but who knows... But for a few minutes work, it can't hurt.

I'll look into that seal plate, might be a good spring time project.
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      11-08-2019, 08:34 AM   #5
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subrage View Post
But for a few minutes work, it can't hurt.
Actually... I can't say if it's the case for this particular process or not but it is indeed possible for extra steps, especially if unnecessary, to hurt. You break something pulling it apart, cause a new issue during the process because something is missing, strip something putting it back together, and so on.

If it is needed, it'll be in an official BMW procedure. Otherwise I'd say there's a reason it's not commonly done, and that is because it is not needed. Not everything that sounds good is good. Feel free to go for it, it'll probably turn out fine, but at least consider if it's really worthwhile or not.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 11:01 AM   #6
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
Have you done this or know of anyone who has? I think it's something worth considering if not too difficult.
I haven't done it myself, but it seems to be getting positive feedback from people who have: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1620202
Appreciate 1
gjm1202181.50
      12-08-2019, 08:11 AM   #7
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Good List

Does the Intake NOT have to be removed to gain access to the one bolt behind the OFH on N54/N55??

If so - why not just completely remove the intake and inspect the intake valves for Carbon Deposits & Walnut blast as warranted?

I have this similar list and will working to obtain the necessary parts for a Summer 2020 install.

Also, I did like the mention of the DV Upgrade to possible GFB DV + while the WP is removed and access can be obtained (improved) although I am torn between simply replacing my DV with a NEW Stock vs GFB DV+ Being that I am ALL STOCK. This would save some money for an upgraded Charge Pipe. Stock DV being around $70 US vs GFB DV+ $130.
Appreciate 0