BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #89
madfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 PB Evo X MR-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog_1959 View Post
The 2010 GT with Track Pack had a 0-60 time of 4.9 seconds, 60-0 distance of 107 ft, and .93 g on the skidpad. Add another 100 hp, much bigger brakes and better suspension/tires and those numbers should improve quite a bit. I would say the GT 5.0 will give the M1 all it wants whether at the dragstrip or the road course. Nate

people love to dog on the mustang's rear axle and the vette's leaf springs... WITHOUT ANY KNOWLEDGE about them...

fact is on a smooth track, an IRS suspension wont have that much of an advantage if at all...

also note that the 2011 5.0 GT comes stock with LSD so we're NOT talking about some horse carriage suspension here...

ALSO since the mustang has such a huge following, there will be PLENTY of aftermarket parts to make it better. add coilovers, watts link, and stiffer antirolls and you have one serious contender...

stop bashing and start reading up on just wtf you're bashing to begin with...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 03:50 PM   #90
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Pretty comical reading people argue about a car thats not even made yet and how much better its going to be than another which isnt made yet.
It cracks me up too.
      02-19-2010, 10:28 PM   #91
trahsub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95' ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trier Germany View Post
Put the stang and M1 on a road course! The M1 will be in a class of it's own there will be no comparison.
I have a feeling some people are going to be dissapointed with how potent the 2011 stangs will be. And if Ford make a Boss 302? I personally can't wait for some magazine comparisons. My two dream cars that I can't decide between don't even exist yet. If the M1 turns out to be everything we expect it to be, I will have one in my driveway . . . but those that write the stang off as a chump car are in for a rude awakening.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 02:22 PM   #92
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1973 Porsche 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by madfast View Post
fact is on a smooth track, an IRS suspension wont have that much of an advantage if at all...
Only if the car with live rear axle has incredibly stiff springs and swaybars (undrivably stiff for the street) to reduce the impact of zero degrees camber.
      02-20-2010, 05:49 PM   #93
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trier Germany View Post
Put the stang and M1 on a road course! The M1 will be in a class of it's own there will be no comparison.

Will VIR work for you?

Car and Driver's car Lightning Lap results over the years:

Chevrolet Corvette Z51 03:03.6 LL2 2007
Cadillac CTS-V 03:04.0 LL2 2009
Lotus Exige S 03:04.5 LL3 2007
Audi R8 03:04.6 LL3 2007
BMW M3 03:05.6 LL2 2008
Porsche 911 Turbo 03:05.8 LL4 2007
Ford Shelby GT500 03:05.9 LL2 2007
Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG 03:06.5LL2 2008
Lotus Elise 03:09.2 LL2 2006
Chevrolet Corvette Z51 03:09.3 LL2 2006
Porsche Cayman S 03:09.5 LL2 2006
BMW M6 03:10.0 LL3 2006
BMW 335i Coupe 03:10.5 LL2 2007
Audi RS4 03:11.2 LL3 2007
BMW Z4 M Coupe 03:11.7 LL2 2007
Nissan 350Z Track 03:12.5 LL1 2006
Chevrolet Cobalt SS 03:13.0 LL1 2008
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR 03:13.3 LL2 2008
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR 03:13.5 LL1 2006
BMW 135i 03:13.5 LL2 2008
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 05:55 PM   #94
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
Only if the car with live rear axle has incredibly stiff springs and swaybars (undrivably stiff for the street) to reduce the impact of zero degrees camber.

See above post. Mustangs do just fine on the street, and haul ass on a smooth track.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #95
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1973 Porsche 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
See above post. Mustangs do just fine on the street, and haul ass on a smooth track.
But are the tires toast after a single track day like my friend's?
      02-20-2010, 06:57 PM   #96
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Welcome back Jeremy. Have a nice vacation?

Its good having another voice of reason who isnt in the Think everything American is subpar to German cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #97
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Welcome back Jeremy.

It's temporary...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #98
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:

Its good having another voice of reason who isnt in the Think everything American is subpar to German cars.
I'm on your side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 07:58 PM   #99
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But are the tires toast after a single track day like my friend's?
So now we've gone from "Mustangs suck on road courses" to "Mustangs have to be unstreetable to not suck on road courses" to Mustangs eat tires on road courses". Does that pretty much sum it up?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 08:28 PM   #100
Spartikus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twin-Turbos

Quote:
So now we've gone from "Mustangs suck on road courses" to "Mustangs have to be unstreetable to not suck on road courses" to Mustangs eat tires on road courses". Does that pretty much sum it up?
That's what I was thinking too. LOL. It's the perfect example of "reaching."

Here is what CarandD had to say about their Long Term test 2008 BMW M3:

"That second sure thing happened to us as pseudo-owners, and after a handful of laps we’d obliterated the tread on the stock Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires. They simply can’t cope with the amount of heat generated by this 3600-pound thrill machine at its flaming limits."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...olt-ons_page_2
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 11:48 PM   #101
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:

I should be be saying thanks to you. haha. Ive been defending american cars for as long as ive been on these boards.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 11:52 PM   #102
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

?

None of that matters. It's how they feel.. the refinement and how they behave... not their track-tested times or exact performance figure..!

BMW's suspension speaks to you... it light feeling and balance makes the unthinkable, doable by sheer will/confidence. That DNA has it's grip on many of us here. Undeniable.

That^ level of refinement just won't find it's way into the Mustang line-up. Have some of you dismissed the $25,000 difference? Case-n-point: ask yourself why are you here? ...on a BMW message board.

It's because BMW speaks to you. So, please don't deny... that IRS doesn't matter.

Last edited by Numb3rs; 02-20-2010 at 11:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 07:32 AM   #103
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb3rs View Post

?

None of that matters. It's how they feel.. the refinement and how they behave... not their track-tested times or exact performance figure..!

BMW's suspension speaks to you... it light feeling and balance makes the unthinkable, doable by sheer will/confidence. That DNA has it's grip on many of us here. Undeniable.

That^ level of refinement just won't find it's way into the Mustang line-up. Have some of you dismissed the $25,000 difference? Case-n-point: ask yourself why are you here? ...on a BMW message board.

It's because BMW speaks to you. So, please don't deny... that IRS doesn't matter.
None of that matters to you. Being on a BMW board does not mean you can't enjoy other cars. I think most understand that the BMW will be more refined. We're fine with that and even love that. Is it wrong for us to love both? Are you saying you have never thrown out "numbers and track figures?" To many that is what matters. If I'm at a sporting event I don't give a flying fig what other guy is feeling. I just need to beat him. The BMW will need to outperform while feeling good. BMW has produced some duds. Look at the Cayman S vs Z4M. They had to give those cars away. It was barely competition.
      02-21-2010, 07:42 AM   #104
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
I should be be saying thanks to you. haha. Ive been defending american cars for as long as ive been on these boards.

Quote:

?

This is exactly the kind of elitist nonsense that gives some BMW owners a snobby reputation. When shown hard fact performance #'s stating that the car is not at the top of the heap the argument switches to "BMW speaks to you" diatribe. Why do you automatically assume that just because you think BMW is the only car worthy of communicating with the driver and American cars DNA isnt? I have a 610 HP Corvette and it speaks to me just fine thank you. And it does so in a much louder voice than a M3/5/6. Other people have cars that also communicate to their owners in a language that maybe you dont understand but thats no that gives you no right to look down your nose and deem them substandard just because you dont get it. Reminds me of a person who puts ketchup on a hot dog and calls others who use mustard on theirs "weird" and not worthy. Theres more to life that just what you like. Kind of childish behavior. Open your eyes man! Just because you dont get it doesnt mean others dont also. And I'm on a BMW board because I just bought a new 135, to join my Corvette. I like both cars. Guess that makes me bilingual.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #105
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Quote:

This is exactly the kind of elitist nonsense that gives some BMW owners a snobby reputation. When shown hard fact performance #'s stating that the car is not at the top of the heap the argument switches to "BMW speaks to you" diatribe. Why do you automatically assume that just because you think BMW is the only car worthy of communicating with the driver and American cars DNA isnt? I have a 610 HP Corvette and it speaks to me just fine thank you. And it does so in a much louder voice than a M3/5/6. Other people have cars that also communicate to their owners in a language that maybe you dont understand but thats no that gives you no right to look down your nose and deem them substandard just because you dont get it. Reminds me of a person who puts ketchup on a hot dog and calls others who use mustard on theirs "weird" and not worthy. Theres more to life that just what you like. Kind of childish behavior. Open your eyes man! Just because you dont get it doesnt mean others dont also. And I'm on a BMW board because I just bought a new 135, to join my Corvette. I like both cars. Guess that makes me bilingual.
Well said.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 10:51 AM   #106
bmwzone
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black 5.0 (ordered), 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Case-n-point: ask yourself why are you here? ...on a BMW message board.
So, please don't deny... that IRS doesn't matter.
on a BMW board Discussing a Ford Mustang.

That's because a 5.0 "speaks to you" puleeeze !

Case Closed
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #107
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
None of that matters to you. Being on a BMW board does not mean you can't enjoy other cars. I think most understand that the BMW will be more refined. We're fine with that and even love that. Is it wrong for us to love both? Are you saying you have never thrown out "numbers and track figures?" To many that is what matters. If I'm at a sporting event I don't give a flying fig what other guy is feeling. I just need to beat him. The BMW will need to outperform while feeling good. BMW has produced some duds. Look at the Cayman S vs Z4M. They had to give those cars away. It was barely competition.

No... I am saying that is thee difference. M1 vs something (like the Mustang). There is no conjecture or debate... that is why Mustang fans are here, because there is no doubt about what I've mentioned.

So even if you COMPARE.. there is no comparison because in the end, you either want to pay for that level of refinement, or your don't!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #108
AlBel1214
Major
Rep
Drives: past 135i, now c6, future M3??

I don't get this whole refinement issue... honestly I think it is driven into peoples heads that german cars > american cars no matter what when it comes to this... Christ I was in a cts-v the other day and that thing was much nicer than my 1'ers interior by far...

It is sad some people stereotype cars b/c of some of the past issues and can't admit when a car maker is finally making some steps forward...

-----LS3 C6-----
z51 suspension, NPP dual mode exhaust(wild2mild),20% tint, zr1 replica wheels, gloss black fender stripes
R.I.P SGM 135i w/ some mods
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 07:02 PM   #109
madfast
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

?

LOL surely this post is a joke!

first of all, numbers matter when you win and dont matter when you lose? riiiiiight...

secondly, refinement? since when are we talking about refinement? how obvious would it be to say the BMW is better because its more refined. i counter your ridiculous comparison with soul. the mustang's 5.0L has a sound and throatiness that NO bmw can match. sure the M3 sings at 8400 rpm BUT there is NO sound as visceral as an american V8... hows that for inane comparisons?

and like i said, IRS matters but NOT that much.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 07:09 PM   #110
madfast
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
that's subjective. its like you buy the car with the track pack and all of a sudden you're dissappointed the car isnt soaking up bumps? i think people KNOW what they're getting themselves into, especially since the track pack has to be ordered BEFORE the car is made...

true about the camber but like i said, just HOW big an impact is the zero camber? the empirical data suggests it does mighty fine as is...
Appreciate 0