BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-09-2008, 06:18 PM   #67
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES45 View Post
I forgot to post about the custom tuning, I would think it is like anything else, when done properly it would more often be better than a canned one, but not always and the additional cost may not be worth the extra dough to go custom. Not to mention not many custom tuners are offering a warranty like dinan. I do realize when you add components such as different turbos it would require either a custom or canned tune designed for the setup.
Just to give you a reference it cost me $400 to get my Evo dyno tuned. That's cheaper than what the PnP devices cost. The Evo community really changed over the last few years as everything went from PnP devices like the Utec and switched to custom flashes.

It's just not something that's developed yet for this community.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 06:33 PM   #68
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBFIU View Post
Not everybody who buys a 40k dollar car wants to do there own dyno tuning. I will let the guys at dinan or BMS blow up motors and test cars so they can build a good chip. I'll gladly buy it from them with confidence.

This is not the generation of supras and turbomustangs anymore. No more easy standalone dyno tuning.

Althought it would be cool to see Megasquirt work with the N54

If you don't want to have a custom tune, upgrades like this aren't for you, and they aren't on any other car either.

A piggyback on this car will work just as well as a standalone. The ability to tune a car is better now than it's ever been.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 06:36 PM   #69
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved View Post
Just to give you a reference it cost me $400 to get my Evo dyno tuned. That's cheaper than what the PnP devices cost. The Evo community really changed over the last few years as everything went from PnP devices like the Utec and switched to custom flashes.

It's just not something that's developed yet for this community.

The same goes for the GM crowd. It cost me $350 to have my GTO tuned, and it was worth about 30Hp over the stock tune with just an intake and a catback. One nice thing about GM's stuff is that you can tune it almost like a standalone, and the software and support (Such as LS1Edit and HPtuners) is out of this world.

I would imagine BMW hasn't made it so easy to crack this ECU though.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 07:03 PM   #70
Zinister
TrueStreetCars.com
Rep
Drives:

Whoa, slow down there some of you. I was just trying to make a point that most people in the tuning community already know. Now, I understand the ease and reason for PnP tunes. They are great actually. Don't get me wrong. I was just trying to state that a PnP will never be as good as a custom tune. Also, who ever said something about big turbos, yes. Thats more along the lines of what I was talking about. Sorry to those people that I offended or that didn't understand. I guess I am used to 'big' turbo stuff and older cars. I do realize a PnP may work well for slightly larger that stock turbos. I was just thinking something way bigger because thats what I am used to. While I do realize that some of the German flashes or PnP tunes are far better than most of the Japanese ones. I was thinking more along the lines of a GT4788 with a massive fuel system and supporting mods. I just meant that a PnP would not be good enough for something like that. That sort of thing requires an AEM EMS and things of the sort.

I do realize german cars, ESPECIALLY NEW german cars are very difficult to 'tune on the fly' and I realize that PnP is a great way to overcome stock map issues, without getting into the complexity of stand-alone or tuning on the fly. Sorry to those that may have taken offense to my lazy and half assed comment. That was not directed at any particular person. I guess I am just used to dumb teenagers coming into the shop and trying to mod and tune their cars half assed and getting all huffy and puffy when we tell them a stand-alone or custom tune will be a little more expensive. My apologies again to those that took it to heart.

For the one that told me to do 20 and said I was comparing a BMW to NISSAN, I wasn't. It was just an example. An example that can be made when it comes to any car. Tuning is all the same basic principles. Making sure there is enough parts fuel, for enough parts air, and so on and so forth. I jused used nissan because thats what I own. By the way, I do tune my own maps on the street and the dyno. I work at a performance shop for a living. Its what I do everyday. Don;t get me mixed in with the typical E-thug. That, I am not.
      12-09-2008, 11:04 PM   #71
Topsupra
Private
Rep
Drives:

BTW the car getting the twin turbo upgrades from ASR Engineering belongs to me and I will keep you guys updated on the progress. Currently they are going to install the turbos and run a base test on the car with stock intercooler and stock exhaust, to see how much power the turbos will make on there own. Then they will work on tuning the car with full exhaust and intercooler upgraded and fuel system.

Jay.S
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 11:35 PM   #72
Zinister
TrueStreetCars.com
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topsupra View Post
BTW the car getting the twin turbo upgrades from ASR Engineering belongs to me and I will keep you guys updated on the progress. Currently they are going to install the turbos and run a base test on the car with stock intercooler and stock exhaust, to see how much power the turbos will make on there own. Then they will work on tuning the car with full exhaust and intercooler upgraded and fuel system.

Jay.S
Awsome! And you have a new GT-R! Even more awesome!
      12-09-2008, 11:37 PM   #73
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
sweet

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 08:01 AM   #74
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
I am aware that the turbos will require a custom tune.

The majority of people out wont want a 'custom tune', everyone likes PnP devices so selling these turbos without a tuning solution is pointless.
I believe Vishnu is already working on this "custom" tune for the upgraded turbos, and it would most likely be compatible with the Procede.

I assume Terry and others will follow suit, making the "custom" part of the process less onerous.
      12-10-2008, 09:30 AM   #75
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
correct, they stated that the adjustment of the fuel trims and timing cannot be done with the JB3, and they have worked with Shiv in the past (Comptech superchargers came with a procede btw) So it will be a procede setup for sure. I don't hold anything against Shiv's PRODUCTS, although I could bare to ignore his buisness ethics. Terry also steps beyond proffesionalism also. But we are all human and I would rather be able to talk to the manufacturer of the tune on here, hotheaded or not than have to figure out EMS or EManage all by myself. We'll see.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 09:55 AM   #76
Zinister
TrueStreetCars.com
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
correct, they stated that the adjustment of the fuel trims and timing cannot be done with the JB3, and they have worked with Shiv in the past (Comptech superchargers came with a procede btw) So it will be a procede setup for sure. I don't hold anything against Shiv's PRODUCTS, although I could bare to ignore his buisness ethics. Terry also steps beyond proffesionalism also. But we are all human and I would rather be able to talk to the manufacturer of the tune on here, hotheaded or not than have to figure out EMS or EManage all by myself. We'll see.
Yeah, That would be a nightmare on these cars. Although, AEM is about to release there EMS V.2 and its supposed to be way better than the V.1. All of the little kinks and issue will be gone. I wonder if it will be possible with that. Plus I would love to hear what one of these cars sounded like on an anti-lag! lol
      12-10-2008, 10:15 AM   #77
fshowcars
Getting Pulled Over
Rep
Drives:

I think a lot of the honda and nissan guys are used to cars with throttle cables and a coil... Don't oversimplify things... German cars haven't historically been the easiest to adapt standalone systems to without a good amount of planning and work... there are no AEM systems for these cars and won't be anytime soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 11:34 AM   #78
Zinister
TrueStreetCars.com
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshowcars View Post
I think a lot of the honda and nissan guys are used to cars with throttle cables and a coil... Don't oversimplify things... German cars haven't historically been the easiest to adapt standalone systems to without a good amount of planning and work... there are no AEM systems for these cars and won't be anytime soon.
Oh yeah I know, I just hope that someday soon, a company will offer something like that.

FYI my car came with Coil-over-plug ignition back in 1991, just like your bimmer has. :wink:
      12-10-2008, 11:59 AM   #79
fshowcars
Getting Pulled Over
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinister View Post
FYI my car came with Coil-over-plug ignition back in 1991, just like your bimmer has. :wink:
no it didnt.. it came with individual coil pack igniters and spark plug wires.... correct?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 12:11 PM   #80
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topsupra View Post

Jay.S
So they're just going to slap new turbos on without upgrading the fuel system? I understand not adding the intercooler and exhaust as they want to get a baseline for just the turbos but I would think that an upgrade to the fuel system would be required.

Also I would think that a turbo upgrade with a tune and stock intercooler/exhaust would provide for a better comparison. Untuned numbers really don't mean anything as you aren't taking full advantage of the new set up.

Look forward to the updates.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 12:53 PM   #81
Zinister
TrueStreetCars.com
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
no it didnt.. it came with individual coil pack igniters and spark plug wires.... correct?
Yes, it did. It cam with coil over plug ignition. As in no spark plug wires. I have 3 little tiny wires running to each coil pack. Just like the BMWs.

here you go...http://www.courtesyparts.com/300zx-z...3_915_916.html

12-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #82
fshowcars
Getting Pulled Over
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Yes, it did. It cam with coil over plug ignition. As in no spark plug wires. I have 3 little tiny wires running to each coil pack. Just like the BMWs.
doesn't a distributor still drive them? my point was distributorless ignition ... i think the biggest issue with these types of cars is the drive by wire throttle body... ignition control can be had with coil on plug setups, just some more hoops to go through during the design.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 01:11 PM   #83
Zinister
TrueStreetCars.com
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
doesn't a distributor still drive them? my point was distributorless ignition ... i think the biggest issue with these types of cars is the drive by wire throttle body... ignition control can be had with coil on plug setups, just some more hoops to go through during the design.
I understand your point. Yeah, the drive-by-wire throttle is definitely an issue. We just tuned an AP2 S2000 with drive-by-wire and it was a bit of a pain. It was a customer test vehicle for Hondata and we had to work together to figure it out. And no, a distributor does not drive them. the signal wires come from the ecu just like the BMWs. I have a distributorless ignition system in the form of C-O-P. The Supras and Zs have had this technology since the early 90's as well.
      12-10-2008, 04:26 PM   #84
Topsupra
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Awsome! And you have a new GT-R! Even more awesome!
Ya we just finished the GTR for SEMA last month it was in the Nitto Tire booth, below I have posted some pics of the GTR. Now I cant wait to have the 135 complete....
Jay.S

http://www.flickr.com/photos/360forg...n/photostream/
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 05:54 PM   #85
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Quote:
This is not the generation of supras and turbomustangs anymore. No more easy standalone dyno tuning.

Althought it would be cool to see Megasquirt work with the N54
Couldn't be further from the truth... If you know what you are doing it is not that hard to dyno-tune new cars. Motech, Haltech and I believe EAM all have systems that can control direct injection also, so they could be made to work for the application.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 07:04 PM   #86
ML
Change for a Nickle?
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3, Mazda truck

Whatever happened to SharkEdit? Seems like the turbo upgrade would be the right application to directly tune the factory ECU on a dyno.
      12-10-2008, 09:44 PM   #87
alpinedb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

waititng to see results but sign me up lol these sound like theyre legit
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 11:59 PM   #88
untouchableE82
1Addict, and Proud
Canada
Rep