BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-22-2020, 12:50 PM   #1
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Sounds clips on my insta: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-CzLD4g...d=fwi2rtllfex6

Links for the instagramless

2 revs at about 3000 and 5000
https://streamable.com/14i6m

Warm idle
https://streamable.com/lu89g

Hey guys just wanted to share my results from a custom full 3" stainless steel exhaust system I just had built by a buddy of mine.

Recently I installed the 1M replica rear bumper, and because of that I had to remove the stock exhaust since there was now two points for exhaust tips rather than one like stock. Rather than going a basic axelback route, since I don't really like any of the kits on the market personally, I decided to just have my downpipe modified and do a full 3" exhaust system with quad tips.

Some of you might know about the carbon canister that sits on the passenger side in the rear, and because of that it's not as simple as doing a basic Y pipe to get quad tips. It's possible to relocate, but I didn't want to go through the hassle, so we decided to just run a pipe behind the diffuser and it actually came out surprisingly good!

Fabrication Work was done by Julian at Bargain Brakes and Mufflers in West Berlin NJ. His tig welding and fab work is off the charts.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      03-25-2020, 11:45 AM   #2
Colinoscopy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i ///M Package

Looks great, where did you get your replica bumper and diffuser and for how much? I've been going for this look for a while.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 11:51 AM   #3
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinoscopy View Post
Looks great, where did you get your replica bumper and diffuser and for how much? I've been going for this look for a while.
Thanks! I got the bumper from ECS Tuning. It already comes with a diffuser, but the diffuser did not fit at all which is why I got the carbon fiber one.

Diffuser is an ebay replica of https://www.revozport.com/product/1m...rear-diffuser/ I would strongly advise to just buy the one from Revozport. The replica was cheap, and it was very tricky to fit and secure somewhat decently. Involved a lot of panel bond, glue, and self tapping screws in a couple of spots for me to feel confident about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 12:04 PM   #4
Colinoscopy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost135i View Post
Thanks! I got the bumper from ECS Tuning. It already comes with a diffuser, but the diffuser did not fit at all which is why I got the carbon fiber one.

Diffuser is an ebay replica of https://www.revozport.com/product/1m...rear-diffuser/ I would strongly advise to just buy the one from Revozport. The replica was cheap, and it was very tricky to fit and secure somewhat decently. Involved a lot of panel bond, glue, and self tapping screws in a couple of spots for me to feel confident about it.
ahh cool. I'd rather do a little fabrication though then pay 700-1,300 haha. How much was the ebay rep? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 12:17 PM   #5
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinoscopy View Post
Quote:

ahh cool. I'd rather do a little fabrication though then pay 700-1,300 haha. How much was the ebay rep? Thanks.
$350 counting shipping. If you can do it yourself, or get it done for cheap by someone that's good then it's worth it. Just expect the quality to not be amazing. Mine came with a couple of cracks, and one of the fins was slightly misaligned, but that can be corrected. The cracks were not in noticeable areas when mounted. I'll PM you the link.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 12:25 PM   #6
Colinoscopy
Private
Rep

Quote:
$350 counting shipping. If you can do it yourself, or get it done for cheap by someone that's good then it's worth it. Just expect the quality to not be amazing. Mine came with a couple of cracks, and one of the fins was slightly misaligned, but that can be corrected. The cracks were not in noticeable areas when mounted. I'll PM you the link.
Awesome, appreciate the info.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 12:53 PM   #7
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i N55 DCT

Yikes, no muffler?

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 12:55 PM   #8
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPuehl View Post
Yikes, no muffler?
Muffler is in 2nd and 3rd pic
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 03:48 PM   #9
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Any youtube videos of the sound? Must be pretty loud even with a cat.

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 03:52 PM   #10
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Any youtube videos of the sound? Must be pretty loud even with a cat.
I have two short sound clips on my instagram linked at the top of the post. Haven't thought about making a youtube video, but might eventually with some flybys if theres enough interest.

I've driven the car essentially straight piped for the last 3 months (stock exhaust with resonator only) before getting this made, which was just ridiculous. In person, this exhaust is the perfect balance in my opinion. I've gotten a few comments at gas stations already basically saying the same too.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 03:58 PM   #11
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have two short sound clips on my instagram linked at the top of the post. Haven't thought about making a youtube video, but might eventually with some flybys if theres enough interest.

I've driven the car essentially straight piped for the last 3 months which is just ridiculous. In person, this exhaust is the perfect balance in my opinion. I've gotten a few comments at gas stations already basically saying the same too.
I'm old so I don't use the gram, sorry, lol

I have a catless dp and use the OEM 135i muffler which gets loud when the flap opens. Many people that hear mine like the sound but I'm looking for a deeper "V8" or "subi STI" sound. If it's a deep sound I'd be interested in hearing it.

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 04:05 PM   #12
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I've driven the car essentially straight piped for the last 3 months which is just ridiculous. In person, this exhaust is the perfect balance in my opinion. I've gotten a few comments at gas stations already basically saying the same too.

I have a catless dp and use the OEM 135i muffler which gets loud when the flap opens. Many people that hear mine like the sound but I'm looking for a deeper "V8" or "subi STI" sound. If it's a deep sound I'd be interested in hearing it.
I wasn't catless until I removed the stock muffler, but if I had to guess, it's more than likely deeper than your current setup. Getting a subi or v8 sound is just not going to happen with this engine though. Let me try to find a different uploading solution for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 04:09 PM   #13
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Here ya go

Warm idle
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 06:18 PM   #14
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Here ya go

Warm idle
That sounds good. I need to make a similar video of my exhaust and see how the sounds compares. I figured your's was going to be much louder with the tiny muffler but apparently not.

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 07:05 PM   #15
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Here ya go

Warm idle
That sounds good. I need to make a similar video of my exhaust and see how the sounds compares. I figured your's was going to be much louder with the tiny muffler but apparently not.
I can assure you that it's a bit louder than the video makes it out to be lol. Share it if you do take a video, though! I'd like to hear the comparison too.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 10:08 AM   #16
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I can assure you that it's a bit louder than the video makes it out to be lol. Share it if you do take a video, though! I'd like to hear the comparison too.
Did you use your cell phone to record your videos? I'm trying to figure which would give the most actuate recording of the sound, cell phone, GoPro or laptop. I guess I could try all 3 at the same time, lol.

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 10:12 AM   #17
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Did you use your cell phone to record your videos? I'm trying to figure which would give the most actuate recording of the sound, cell phone, GoPro or laptop. I guess I could try all 3 at the same time, lol.
I just used an iphone.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 10:19 AM   #18
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Is that a Flo-Pro muffler or resonator? I was recommended by someone on our local BMW Facebook group to try the Flo-Pro resonators has they are used on Diesel trucks and quiet the high and mid-range sounds leaving only the low end sounds, which is what I'm looking for.

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 09:07 PM   #19
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Here you go. This is my '12 135 N55 FBO + PS2 + catless downpipe with OEM resonator and muffler. You can actual here the rattle in the background caused by the M4 DCT flywheel (no it's not the crows heard at the end of the video).

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 08:23 AM   #20
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Here you go. This is my '12 135 N55 FBO + PS2 + catless downpipe with OEM resonator and muffler. You can actual here the rattle in the background caused by the M4 DCT flywheel (no it's not the crows heard at the end of the video).

Ah okay that sounds just like mine used to. I think if you did something like this, you'll definitely experience a deeper tone. How are your clutches holding up with the turbo by the way? Planning on doing a bigger turbo for mine in the near future, but debating if I should also upgrade to ssp clutches or not.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 09:34 AM   #21
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ah okay that sounds just like mine used to. I think if you did something like this, you'll definitely experience a deeper tone. How are your clutches holding up with the turbo by the way? Planning on doing a bigger turbo for mine in the near future, but debating if I should also upgrade to ssp clutches or not.
The clutches haven't been an issue and the research/reading I did before the PS2 upgrade said that there shouldn't be a problem as my goal is around 450 whp using pump gas + octane booster as a daily driver. If you want boost above 16 psi above 6k rpm you should look into getting the lighter M2/M3/M4 flywheel. There's much discussion about the misfire and I could verify that I got the misfire after the PS2 and before the M flywheel swap and no longer get the misfire. The misfire is harsh enough somethings to kick the DME into limp-mode, so something you may want to address.

What brand/.model muffler are you running? Is it a Flo-Pro?

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 09:57 AM   #22
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The clutches haven't been an issue and the research/reading I did before the PS2 upgrade said that there shouldn't be a problem as my goal is around 450 whp using pump gas + octane booster as a daily driver. If you want boost above 16 psi above 6k rpm you should look into getting the lighter M2/M3/M4 flywheel. There's much discussion about the misfire and I could verify that I got the misfire after the PS2 and before the M flywheel swap and no longer get the misfire. The misfire is harsh enough somethings to kick the DME into limp-mode, so something you may want to address.

What brand/.model muffler are you running? Is it a Flo-Pro?
Awesome was just curious since I've seen people slipping theirs, but the majority not. Flywheel is on the list too, and figured i'd do the clutches at the same time if need be. As for the muffler, I'm not sure, I left that up to who I had do the fabrication work since they know more about getting a certain sound out of a car than I do. I'll be changing the oil soon though, and when I get under the car I'll have a look and let you know.
Appreciate 0