BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-25-2020, 08:35 PM   #1
latebraker
Rep
Drives: 135is

135i optional LSD (limited slip diff)

Without driving it, is there an easy way to tell if a 135i has the optional LSD?

thanks

Last edited by latebraker; 03-26-2020 at 08:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 08:04 AM   #2
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

I don't believe the 135i ever had an optional LSD from the factory.
Dackelone10511.00
      03-26-2020, 09:05 AM   #3
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soterios View Post
I don't believe the 135i ever had an optional LSD from the factory.
This is correct.
Dackelone10511.00
      03-26-2020, 05:15 PM   #4
latebraker
Rep
Drives: 135is

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 07:03 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by latebraker View Post
Without driving it, is there an easy way to tell if a 135i has the optional LSD?

thanks
The easiest way to tell IF any car has a LSD is to jack up the rear of the car up(both wheels off the ground) and turn one of the rear wheels. As you turn the wheel, the other side wheel should turn in the SAME direction. IF the car has an open diff(like all our 135i's have) then the other wheel will spin in the OPPOSITE direction.

The e82 135i never had a LSD option from the factory. For the f20 M135i and M140i's BMW Performance offered a Drexler made LSD. It was quite expensive at around $2K. Only pure M cars like the M2/M3/M4, etc... have real mechanical LSD. For our e82's we make due with an e-LSD... which the DSC module uses the ABS system to stop one of the rear wheels from spinning. It's not a real LSD.

Dackel
Appreciate 1
asbrr540.50
      03-31-2020, 09:55 PM   #6
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The easiest way to tell IF any car has a LSD is to jack up the rear of the car up(both wheels off the ground) and turn one of the rear wheels. As you turn the wheel, the other side wheel should turn in the SAME direction. IF the car has an open diff(like all our 135i's have) then the other wheel will spin in the OPPOSITE direction.

The e82 135i never had a LSD option from the factory. For the f20 M135i and M140i's BMW Performance offered a Drexler made LSD. It was quite expensive at around $2K. Only pure M cars like the M2/M3/M4, etc... have real mechanical LSD. For our e82's we make due with an e-LSD... which the DSC module uses the ABS system to stop one of the rear wheels from spinning. It's not a real LSD.

Dackel
Dackel you are 100% correct and it is ok to use LSD like we use Kleenex for any tissue but when I was at Garching M picking up my 1M, I quite offended their M people when I called the 1M differential an LSD (Limited Slip Differential) Port installed LSDs like the one offered on the M235 are limited slip in terms that they transfer up to 20% of the power to the other wheel. When I used LSD to refer to the 1M, I was abruptly corrected. "There is nothing limited about the M differential" <--Add German-English accent : )

The M differential is a FULL-LOCK differential...it can completely lock both wheels whereas a Limited Slip will only transfer on average 15-20%.

I just wanted to clarify it for others. Cheers!
Appreciate 4
Dackelone10511.00
asbrr540.50
JP-1M171.00
///BYU268.50
      04-01-2020, 10:27 PM   #7
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Dackel you are 100% correct and it is ok to use LSD like we use Kleenex for any tissue but when I was at Garching M picking up my 1M, I quite offended their M people when I called the 1M differential an LSD (Limited Slip Differential) Port installed LSDs like the one offered on the M235 are limited slip in terms that they transfer up to 20% of the power to the other wheel. When I used LSD to refer to the 1M, I was abruptly corrected. "There is nothing limited about the M differential" <--Add German-English accent : )

The M differential is a FULL-LOCK differential...it can completely lock both wheels whereas a Limited Slip will only transfer on average 15-20%.

it's called a Variable Lock Differential not a "full lock differential"

the 1M has the same differential as the E9X M3 which in turn has pretty much the same differential as the E46 M3. and it's always been known as a Variable Lock M Differential.

It means as you said a full transfer of power to the wheel with fraction, instead of partial transfer; but this can be totally variable, hence the name. More options and more flexibility.
      04-02-2020, 02:09 AM   #8
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Quote:

The M differential is a FULL-LOCK differential...it can completely lock both wheels whereas a Limited Slip will only transfer on average 15-20% and a good one like the M Performance goes up as high as 30% as shown below.

it's called a Variable Lock Differential not a "full lock differential"

the 1M has the same differential as the E9X M3 which in turn has pretty much the same differential as the E46 M3. and it's always been known as a Variable Lock M Differential.

It means as you said a full transfer of power to the wheel with fraction, instead of partial transfer; but this can be totally variable, hence the name. More options and more flexibility.
Yes it is variable up to full lock and the literature calls it a M Variable Differential. What I relayed in my story was that the Gentleman from M at Garhing when I picked up M first 1M, was adamant that I understand that it was not a "limited slip" differential. Unlike limited slip units, this one can achieve lock-up as stated in the BMW documentation posted.

That is the point, that is not a limited slip though everyone commonly calls it an LSD/ I also called it that until I was corrected in Germany. I also did not say it was called a FULL-LOCK diff, I said, based on what the M gentleman told me, a FULL-LOCK diff.

For example, BMW calls their turbo engines TWIN-POWER turbo. I so if I say the TWIN-POWER turbo is a SINGLE TWIN SCROLL turbo, that is not that I am saying it is called a TWIN SCROLL turbo by BMW. What I am saying is what it IS a twin scroll single turbo engine not what BMW calls it.

The point again, is that this was based on what the gentleman at M told me during my visit and it is not limited to a percentage but can achieve full lock.

Here is BMW documentation on the 1M diff as well as description of the M235i LIMITED SLIP differential called M Performance Differential so people can see for themselves. :
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/atta...4&d=1329761227

page 8:
Attached Images

Last edited by nachob; 04-02-2020 at 03:36 AM..
Appreciate 2
asbrr540.50
Dackelone10511.00
      04-02-2020, 08:04 AM   #9
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Not the same but I believe the M differential is similar to what I have installed in my rear pumpkin (customized clutch drexler). The ramps are adjustable from 10% to full lock. Typically they are something like 40/10 or 50/25. Full lock on accel or high lock on decel are highly undesirable.
      04-02-2020, 01:46 PM   #10
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Not the same but I believe the M differential is similar to what I have installed in my rear pumpkin (customized clutch drexler). The ramps are adjustable from 10% to full lock. Typically they are something like 40/10 or 50/25. Full lock on accel or high lock on decel are highly undesirable.
Yeah I'm not sure if one is better or not just that they are different types and custom ones can do all that too. I do think that a 135i should benefit from an LSD with so much torque. I also think the e-diff is only activated when traction control turned off completely. Most of us don't drive with it off? If someone can confirm that. I also wonder how good the diff is for the 1M. It was designed for NA cars with less torque and more linear power delivery. I think the ultra low max torque and spiky nature make the diff a little unpredictable. I believe the m2 got a more modern diff that seems to work a little better and more consistent with the power delivery.

If I was going to put an lsd in a 135i I would probably talk to an outfit like Turner Motorsports or Dackelone since he is connected. : )
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 02:28 PM   #11
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I'm not sure if one is better or not just that they are different types and custom ones can do all that too. I do think that a 135i should benefit from an LSD with so much torque. I also think the e-diff is only activated when traction control turned off completely. Most of us don't drive with it off? If someone can confirm that. I also wonder how good the diff is for the 1M. It was designed for NA cars with less torque and more linear power delivery. I think the ultra low max torque and spiky nature make the diff a little unpredictable. I believe the m2 got a more modern diff that seems to work a little better and more consistent with the power delivery.

If I was going to put an lsd in a 135i I would probably talk to an outfit like Turner Motorsports or Dackelone since he is connected. : )
Not sure on the eDiff. I never found it worked well, extremely unpredictable. I coded mine out, when I put in the drexler.

Agreed on the M diff. At least the M rear end has strong axles. Would have saved me replacing mine.
      04-03-2020, 11:46 AM   #12
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Quote:

Not sure on the eDiff. I never found it worked well, extremely unpredictable. I coded mine out, when I put in the drexler.

Agreed on the M diff. At least the M rear end has strong axles. Would have saved me replacing mine.
True that's other thing people forget then they bump up power in 135s the rear end is different on 1M too and more stout. I love 135i because you can get in Blue.
Appreciate 0