BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-12-2020, 09:07 AM   #1
zx3psyko
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Overcharging?

So background - I'm not a full DIY guy, but I do the fluids and brakes and small stuff myself on my cars. Anything mechanical or engine, I almost always take it to a shop just to be safe and get it done right. I took my 2012 135i to a highly-recommended and reviewed shop nearby this month when I hit 102k and noticed some small oil leaks. They quoted 1k with parts and labor to replace the oil filter housing and oil pan gasket - I said okay, it took a day, the receipt showed everything okay, parts all listed for prices like 4.84, 47.24, 51.94, etc.

I picked up my car the next day, and within 5 miles, noticed screeching and squealing from the accessory belt area. Took it back, they cleaned it, said some fluid got in there, it was good for about another 10 miles, then the noise came back. Brought it back, they suggested replacing the whole accessory belt area - pulleys, tensioner, belt, total $418 w/ labor and parts. I had to take their word for it at the moment because I was in a time crunch and busy with a few other things and on the phone with my work, so I said okay, go ahead. Fast forward one hour, they're done, I had a few minutes to look it up online and found the whole kit for $100-140 MAX everywhere else. I asked them the price of the parts, they said 300 - flat. I asked them if that was right, it seemed odd, they mumbled, typed, said that's the price, it's "continental" as though that would explain everything. Just trying to get me out the door. Very quiet, wouldn't look me in the eyes, just overall guilty behavior.

I checked the receipt when they gave it to me, and it's just a flat Accessory Belt Kit w/o Water Pump - $300" and "Labor - $100." I understand markup, but 100%+ seems excessive, and that flat number really bugs me, like they just padded it to get $ out of me. I called another shop (same small chain, diff location) and got a quote of "around 200" for parts, + 100 labor.

I'm not really upset about a $100 loss, but I want to make sure I'm not crazy, and make sure I don't go back to these guys. It'd be a $100 lesson for me to not go back to them. It also makes me question the $1000 repair - did they pad the numbers on that one too?

Did I get screwed?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 11:25 AM   #2
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

I think you need look for another garage. Prices for labor and parts seem too high.
I always recommend joining BMWCCA and talk to fellow members for their recommendations on good garages. Also members are a good source of 2nd opinions. If OFHG and oil pan gasket were needed, then valve cover gasket should be due. A peek under the engine cover should be done; pretty easy to do.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 11:46 AM   #3
zx3psyko
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
I think you need look for another garage. Prices for labor and parts seem too high.
I always recommend joining BMWCCA and talk to fellow members for their recommendations on good garages. Also members are a good source of 2nd opinions. If OFHG and oil pan gasket were needed, then valve cover gasket should be due. A peek under the engine cover should be done; pretty easy to do.
Yep, I had the valve cover gasket replaced about 1k miles ago, $650 at a different shop. I'll check out BMWCCA for shop suggestions - feel like I keep getting overcharged. My dream is to keep this car at least another 10-20 years, so I'm pretty aggressive with the maintenance.
Appreciate 0