BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-06-2017, 09:12 AM   #1
Ladydragonz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i M Sport

Exclamation Normal Oil Consumption

Did an oil change last Friday and had to kick the wrench to get the oil drain bolt loose.

When I was draining the old oil into the empty bottles I wound up filling 5 quarts and then a tiny bit.
So that means I lost around 2 quarts.
Last oil change was in June and the OFHG & OCG were replaced again along with the belt. There is no more leak unless another one sprung up somewhere . Pushing 156K miles.

I guess I am curious what everyone else's consumption is.

SIDE NOTE

I put 7 quarts but my oil monitor never shows as full, always a notch below full.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 09:25 AM   #2
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

If you only drained 5 qt, you should have gotten a low oil message. Sounds like your oil level sensor is not working properly.

My car with 62k does not use any oil. At least nothing measurable.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 09:28 AM   #3
Ladydragonz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
If you only drained 5 qt, you should have gotten a low oil message. Sounds like your oil level sensor is not working properly.

Never got an oil warning, I have gotten them in the past but not this time around. Now I am wondering if I should add an extra quart or just monitor the oil level very closely.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 04:11 PM   #4
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladydragonz View Post
Quote:

Never got an oil warning, I have gotten them in the past but not this time around. Now I am wondering if I should add an extra quart or just monitor the oil level very closely.
Keep an eye on it. Running too much oil is also not good.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 06:03 PM   #5
Ladydragonz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I will but I don't understand why I put 7 quarts and it doesn't show as full.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 07:01 AM   #6
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Does your engine feel sluggish now? These engines can handle some overfill, but sometimes you can feel it when they are (does not rev as freely, might "shudder" some on start up). By the way, are you checking the level after driving for a while to warm everything up?

As MM mentioned, too much and too little are both bad for your engine. I would definitely have your oil sensor checked out.

P.S. It can be a pain to drain these engines. I let mine drain for 30 minutes or more, and still only get out around 6-6.5 quarts of oil.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 07:04 AM   #7
Ladydragonz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
Quote:
Does your engine feel sluggish now? These engines can handle some overfill, but sometimes you can feel it when they are (does not rev as freely, might "shudder" some on start up). By the way, are you checking the level after driving for a while to warm everything up?

As MM mentioned, too much and too little are both bad for your engine. I would definitely have your oil sensor checked out.

P.S. It can be a pain to drain these engines. I let mine drain for 30 minutes or more, and still only get out around 6-6.5 quarts of oil.
Let it drain for 30 mins or so maybe I'll go longer next time. Correct me if I'm wrong but can't our engines hold 7 quarts? Engine doesn't feel sluggish I'll give it another look over once it's warm.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 07:08 AM   #8
02Pilot
Malcontent
Rep
Drives: 128i

Are you changing the filter before draining the pan? If not, you're likely retaining a significant amount of oil in the oil filter housing; removing the filter releases it to drain freely back into the tank.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 07:12 AM   #9
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Let it drain for 30 mins or so maybe I'll go longer next time. Correct me if I'm wrong but can't our engines hold 7 quarts? Engine doesn't feel sluggish I'll give it another look over once it's warm.
Yes, capacity specs are 6.9 quarts. However, it is not easy to determine how well you drain the engine.

I take the fill cap off when draining to help and also remove all the oil from the oil filter housing.

Sometimes it can take a bit of driving to get everything nice and warm and have the oil sensor accurately measure the level.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 09:14 AM   #10
Ladydragonz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
Are you changing the filter before draining the pan? If not, you're likely retaining a significant amount of oil in the oil filter housing; removing the filter releases it to drain freely back into the tank.
Yep changing the filter beforehand.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 08:44 AM   #11
Ladydragonz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

What my oil sensor reads as of now, engine all warmed up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 04:13 PM   #12
rhop101
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i, Honda S2000 AP2

My car is about to turn 140k. I did my last oil change at 136k. I put in 6 quarts and once I test drove it came up 3/4 indicator.

I had heard people change 7 qts sometimes. My car doesnt seem to care for that much tho. I'll probably try 6.5 next time.

It just dropped down to 1/2 indicator so my car is burning a 1/4 qt every 4000 miles or so in daily driving. Not too shabby. Makes my 190k Honda S2000 seem like an oil guzzling monster XD.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 04:28 PM   #13
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep

Quote:
What my oil sensor reads as of now, engine all warmed up.
That is the full mark.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 07:06 PM   #14
Ladydragonz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhop101 View Post
My car is about to turn 140k. I did my last oil change at 136k. I put in 6 quarts and once I test drove it came up 3/4 indicator.

I had heard people change 7 qts sometimes. My car doesnt seem to care for that much tho. I'll probably try 6.5 next time.

It just dropped down to 1/2 indicator so my car is burning a 1/4 qt every 4000 miles or so in daily driving. Not too shabby. Makes my 190k Honda S2000 seem like an oil guzzling monster XD.
Jeez total girl moment I've been thinking this entire time it's below full. Never added any oil though. Still leaves the missing 2 quarts as something I will monitor.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 07:08 PM   #15
Ladydragonz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhop101 View Post

Thanks for the info maybe I'm burning some oil, would make sense since I'm up there on miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 12:03 AM   #16
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
1999 Lexus LS400  [0.00]
1985 BMW 325e  [0.00]
Yeah that is definitely the full mark, but don't feel too bad about it. The gap on the right side is definitely misleading.

As far as overfilling is concerned, I know individuals running 7, 7.5 and even up to 8 quarts in various twin-cam BMW straight sixes from the M50 to the current crop of turbo engines. Oil consistently drains from the heads of BMW engines during high speed corning which leads to lifter tick. Many of these engines are high mileage and burn a bit of oil as well.

It's very possible you're burning a bit of oil at 156k miles. I wouldn't worry about the amount that drained out if you're getting an accurate full reading. However, if you want to start measuring from a clean slate, your next oil service is the opportunity to do it, as you know exactly how much your poured in this time.

2012 BMW 135i Space Grey Metallic M-Sport DCT Dinan S2
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 04:22 PM   #17
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
I don't know if I trust that sensor at all. Maybe large drops will show up but whether I put in 6 or 6 1/2 ltrs. the reading stays the same at the full mark and never changes over the 6 to 8 thousand km. it sees every summer.
Appreciate 0