BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
IMASINNER
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey 135i DCT w/M

Calgary passes vehicle noise bylaw

SO Calgary just passed a vehicle noise bylaw. Any car, motorcycle, or truck can be subject to a $200 fine if caught being louder than 96 dB.

So my question is that will a catless DP (berk or otherwise) and the berk race exhaust be louder than that?

How about catless DP and berk full sport? Catted DP and full sport??

Any help would be appreciated as I am pulling the trigger on an exhaust soon.
Thank You
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

Idk about canada, but almost every town in the US has a noise regulation/law. Where I live: if noise(exhaust, music etc) can be heard from 2 car lengths away then its against the law. However this is never enforced, even when it should be(damn straight pipe hondas.) So even if you are violating the law, you probably won't get a ticket unless you give the cops a reason to WANT to give you a ticket
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

96db measured how... at idle, from 30feet away at 5000 rpm ?????

there are alot of variables..
      05-19-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

I think he just means 96db ever, which is total bs.

Canada has the worst laws....

Apparently if the speed limit is 100kph (60mph) and you get caught at 150kph (90mph) they arrest you, take your license, fine you atleast $10,000, etc.

Worst part, they have the stupidest name for what they call that driving...

In the USA they could characterize it as careless and imprudent driving, in Canada they call it stunt driving

LOL!!!!!!
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
IMASINNER
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
96db measured how... at idle, from 30feet away at 5000 rpm ?????

there are alot of variables..

I dont think they even know yet, but I think its if at any point the dB level passes 96 its ticket time.

So which one of those setups is going to be over 96? My worry is that at some point they might all get me busted.
Thank You
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
Turbolader
The Fat Stig
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASINNER View Post
I dont think they even know yet, but I think its if at any point the dB level passes 96 its ticket time.

So which one of those setups is going to be over 96? My worry is that at some point they might all get me busted.
Sound energy is logarithmically proportional to distance. I bet the stock car is louder than 96db at startup, right at the tailpipe.

Link to state of California Vehicle Code for noise: http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d16_5/vc38370.htm

So at first glance, 96db is nothing to worry about being as California determines the limit to be 82db. However 82db at 50 feet is approximately the same as 96db at 10 feet.

(Calculator for those who care: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calcula...ndDistance.htm )
      05-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #7
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASINNER View Post
SO Calgary just passed a vehicle noise bylaw. Any car, motorcycle, or truck can be subject to a $200 fine if caught being louder than 96 dB.

So my question is that will a catless DP (berk or otherwise) and the berk race exhaust be louder than that?

How about catless DP and berk full sport? Catted DP and full sport??

Any help would be appreciated as I am pulling the trigger on an exhaust soon.
I think the key here is "if caught being louder than 96dB", what defines "caught", are the police going to carry noise measuring devices? Can they stop you for noise only? If you're careful the way you drive it shouldn't be that difficult to keep the noise down even with DP and Race exhaust. I have a Catless Race Exhaust on my CaymanS, when I'm on it, it's LOUD, when I'm being considerate of the neighbors etc., it's quieter than your average diesel pickup....IMHO I wouldn't be worried, guys riding bikes are way more likely to draw attention to themselves.

Last edited by ESC OFF; 05-21-2011 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 11:11 PM   #8
Heps
RedlineSociety
Rep
Drives: RedcarWhitetruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastman View Post
I think he just means 96db ever, which is total bs.

Canada has the worst laws....

Apparently if the speed limit is 100kph (60mph) and you get caught at 150kph (90mph) they arrest you, take your license, fine you atleast $10,000, etc.

Worst part, they have the stupidest name for what they call that driving...

In the USA they could characterize it as careless and imprudent driving, in Canada they call it stunt driving

LOL!!!!!!
Where in the hell did you get your information from? You do not get arrested for driving 30mph over the limit, nor do you get a $10,000 fine, the example you gave would be about a $275 ticket in my province, and our tickets are a bit on the higher side aswell. And no, stunt driving, would be caught doing a burnout, drift or anything of that nature. If someone was doing maybe 200km in a 100km zone, itd be called Reckless driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #9
IMASINNER
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
I think the key here is "if caught being louder than 96dB", what defines "caught", are the police going to carry noise measuring devices? Can they stop you for noise only? If you're careful the way you drive it shouldn't be that difficult to keep the noise down even with DP and Race exhaust. I have a Catless Race Exhaust on my CaymanS, when I'm on it, it's LOUD, when I'm being considerate of the neighbors etc., it's quieter than your average diesel pickup....IMHO I wouldn't be worried, guys riding bikes are way more likely to draw attentioin to themselves.

Yes the have a device that measures noise. Like photo radar gun so they say, that captures video, audio and decibel readings.
Thank You
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 05:22 PM   #10
onefastman
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heps View Post
Where in the hell did you get your information from? You do not get arrested for driving 30mph over the limit, nor do you get a $10,000 fine, the example you gave would be about a $275 ticket in my province, and our tickets are a bit on the higher side aswell. And no, stunt driving, would be caught doing a burnout, drift or anything of that nature. If someone was doing maybe 200km in a 100km zone, itd be called Reckless driving.
A canadian guy who bought a viper from me. Also he said any form of radar detector/laser jammer is illegal which would suck too.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 10:16 PM   #11
Heps
RedlineSociety
Rep
Drives: RedcarWhitetruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastman View Post
A canadian guy who bought a viper from me. Also he said any form of radar detector/laser jammer is illegal which would suck too.
Depends which provinces, Ive been pulled over in a province where they were illegal, hid it in the car before the cop came to my window and asked " Wheres the radar dectector, we have a dectector for those" Creepy lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #12
My535i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i

+1....I wouldn't worry too much. I bet cruising around town even with dp's and exhaust your car is still quiet compared to open pipe Harleys, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
I think the key here is "if caught being louder than 96dB", what defines "caught", are the police going to carry noise measuring devices? Can they stop you for noise only? If you're careful the way you drive it shouldn't be that difficult to keep the noise down even with DP and Race exhaust. I have a Catless Race Exhaust on my CaymanS, when I'm on it, it's LOUD, when I'm being considerate of the neighbors etc., it's quieter than your average diesel pickup....IMHO I wouldn't be worried, guys riding bikes are way more likely to draw attentioin to themselves.
      05-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #13
onefastman
Major General
Rep

My car def wouldnt pass that standard now...

Catless dp's, RR 3" catless middle, and 3" RR axle back with muffler cut out
Appreciate 0