BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #45
!mspinster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 1M

If you drive auto or manual or flappy clutch or whatever, as long you have fun and the car puts a smile on your face that is what matters.

You might as well call all F1 drivers posers since they drive semi-automatic sequential transmission.

Lets call Rubens Barrichello a poser too for owning a E60 M5 while we're at it.

Last edited by !mspinster; 06-21-2011 at 11:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #46
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Awesomely funny!
      06-21-2011, 11:10 PM   #47
Definitive
definitivecars.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: Elsa - 2015 F80 M3 - YMB/SS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by !mspinster View Post
If you drive auto or manual or flappy clutch or whatever, as long you have fun and the car puts a smile on your face that is what matters.

You might as well call all F1 drivers posers since they drive semi-automatic sequential transmission.

Lets call Rubens Barrichello a poser too for owning a M5 while we're at it.
Thank you for this.

Also please call anyone who owns a Ferrari Enzo, Challenge Stradale, 430 Scuderia, 458 Italia, NISSAN GT-R, McLaren MP4-12C and the Bugatti Veyron, a poser as well while your at it. All cars that dont even have a manual as an option...

Im sorry, but I like my POS that has an Automatic tranny, that can launch off the line way better than any of you MT guys could ever dream of doing. And its damn fun to do to!

I find that most people who say this type of shit, never even drove a DCT.

Now all you guys can go on bashing us M3 owners that opted for the upgraded racing transmission...

Last edited by Definitive; 06-21-2011 at 11:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 11:23 PM   #48
djinferno
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:

flappy paddles are great and all but the feel of a manual always will remain special...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 11:37 PM   #49
smaxon1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:

I thought the video was mean spirited. Great car obviously, but Cammisa comes off as a bit of a jerk IMO.
Can't we all just get along?
      06-21-2011, 11:41 PM   #50
Definitive
definitivecars.com
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinferno View Post
flappy paddles are great and all but the feel of a manual always will remain special...
Honestly, This stick just doesn't do it for me. Its sloppy and long throws. Now an NSX has a sick tight little gearbox...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipit View Post
Great post, you can add GT-R to the list also.
Thanks! and Ill add the GTR to the list. Im sure there are plenty more too...

D
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 11:53 PM   #51
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:

Clearly you don't get what he is saying. F1 Drivers aren't poseurs because they DO need the .000004 second shifts ( per the story). He is calling drivers that but the DCT for the quick shifts poseurs because they DON'T need rapid shifts because they aren't racing.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 11:56 PM   #52
conradb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 (ZCP/DCT/ZCV)

I own a 5-speed E30 and a DCT E92 M3. I have absolutely no regrets buying the DCT. The thing is an insane beast at high speeds (albeit it's kinda dumb putting around town). I took my E92 on the Nurburgring, and it was the most fun I've ever had on the track.

I'm going to be critical of this "review." There was no review to be had. This wannabe reviewer (see countless idiots on youtube trying to make a name for themselves) had nothing to really say beyond A) DCT drivers are apparently idiots, B) the 1M is a 135i with some M3 parts. This, honestly, is a terrible review of the 1M.

Drive what you want because you enjoy it. Asshats like this guy will pull the O'l No True Scotsman fallacious argument all day long because it makes them feel better about their purchase. Yes, we bought M3's. Your manual doesn't make it a better buy. Sorry. Buh bye.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 11:57 PM   #53
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Clearly you don't get what he is saying. F1 Drivers aren't poseurs because they DO need the .000004 second shifts ( per the story). He is calling drivers that but the DCT for the quick shifts poseurs because they DON'T need rapid shifts because they aren't racing.
+10000 Im sick of hearing 17 year olds tell me their car is 0.0000whatever faster. Not in their hands its not, well actually its a lot faster in their hands because they probably would suck with a manual, but they arent going to be getting the times that are published and I know me in the same car with a manual will be quicker than most of these guys.

Im not hating on DCT, I love technology, but I also love doing things myself. To each his own.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 11:59 PM   #54
conradb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 (ZCP/DCT/ZCV)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djinferno View Post
"the feel of a manual"

Right.

I could say the same insane rush when you hit redline and shift with the DCT, getting that instant shift and feel as your car continues plowing past the manual competition by a significant pace.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 12:09 AM   #55
Lex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i M Sport Sport Wagon

Garage List
I was always a stick guy until i tried an E46 M3 w/SMG & I was shocked at how much fun it was. I only test drove it once so i was using the stick to manually change the gears & didn't use the paddle shifters, but i liked the short throws. I then tried the stick & was surprised at how long the throws were.

I inherited my wife X3 & I use the stick all the time on the manu-matic transmission & I can't stand when I'm trying to keep it in gear & the computer overrides it. Not having tried the E92 M3 i cant say what I'd like more the manual or the DCT. Only thing I can say is I would definately put a short shift kit on any future manual i buy.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 12:09 AM   #56
Definitive
definitivecars.com
United_States
Rep

Garage List
^+1
^+1
^+1

Quote:
To you sir, you are making my point exactly. Why would anyone buy and M3
(Virtually a racing machine for the street) But not ever take it to a track. This is probably 90% of all people that have an M3, MT or DCT. So what makes getting a superior racing transition anymore a poser move than getting a MT M3 and not tracking the shit out of it...

Its always "to each his own", and there is no question that the DCT is a superior transition in all possible ways, outside of the objective view of the driver.

Nuff Said.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 12:18 AM   #57
!mspinster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know he isn't attacking F1 Drivers, I'm using F1 racing as an example that doesn't use manual transmission. He is attacking DCT owners, I don't think that's fair. I doubt that many people who buy the DCT version care about .000004 second shifts or understand it. It's still a enjoyable car with the DCT.

Rubens Barrichello a F1 driver owns a SMG M5 do we call him a poser?

There's is other reasons to get the DCT. It could be one's only daily driver car and traffic is a bitch at where he or she lives, but they still want the M badge. People want it and BMW makes it.

If you like the M3 with the DCT fine.

If you like the M3 with stick fine.

As long as YOU like it, its fine.

I just don't think people should down on others because on what they drive until you get the whole story.

@Definitive put the E46 M3 CSL on the list
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 12:22 AM   #58
jayparry
BMW Performanceer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM '09 135i 'tii' Dinan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
Fantastic review. That's right up there with a TopGear UK review, impressive. Much more entertaining and informative than the 335is video from Motorweek which I almost fell asleep watching.
You could hand MotorWeek a diamond powered asteroid driven by farting on a pinwheel and they would make it boring.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 12:24 AM   #59
!mspinster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
Only thing I can say is I would definately put a short shift kit on any future manual i buy.
That my friend, might be the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 12:34 AM   #60
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

The opening was simply gold lol!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 12:45 AM   #61
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

If you're a true "purist" then drive your MT with DSC/DTC turned completely off all the time, no exceptions. Until then give the DCT hate a rest.

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 12:57 AM   #62
Definitive
definitivecars.com
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yup, I am in S6 all the time. Shits unreal!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 01:05 AM   #63
BMW-NC
Selling drugs to BMW addicts
Germany
Rep
Drives: 135i e82 6MT N55

WTF? Stop Bashing your heads about stuff you cannot change. It's like XBOX is better than PS3 or Ass vs. Boobs.
Here is my solution: Focus on finding out where I can buy that shirt!!!!!
      06-22-2011, 01:29 AM   #64
panicos81
Colonel
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: a white bmw

Garage List
2010 BMW E92  [8.54]
2007 e90  [0.00]
well.. almost..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DSC-OFF-Warnin...item2564e07897
      06-22-2011, 01:41 AM   #65
Basket77
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Convt.

Someone buy that guy a beer! BTW, I couldn't care less what someone chooses to purchase for themselves, so long as a manufacturer at least offers a traditional manual for those who want one. My beef is that there too many wonderful vehicles out there that don't even offer the selection of a traditional tranny. For instance, it makes me sick to my stomach seeing all those bone-crushing MB AMG powerplants necessarily mated to slushboxes. What a crime!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 01:48 AM   #66
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Ok, so F1 drivers need faster shifting tranny, but M owners don't? You are the one missing the damn point. M owners are driving enthusiasts, wanting to squeeze every juice out of their vehicle. They need faster shifting trannies, just as much as F1 drivers do. What difference is there?

Just because you aren't "racing", don't mean you must have 4 spd auto from back in 80s. Perhaps, many M owners actually do go to track or drive more aggressively (statistical hypothesis, in comparison to non-M owners), so why not the DCT?

"Manual gives you more feel" is honestly getting old. Double clutch auto trannies shift faster, rev matches better than any human beings, and is proven to be faster at the track (road and track test using two different Porsche + plenty of other sources providing evidence to this statement). Performance oriented auto trannies are even getting close to manual's weight and fuel efficiency. You gotta cope with new technologies and adopt to new environments. Otherwise, you will remain as an Analog in Digital world.

Don't get me wrong, I was a hardcore manual enthusiasts, and just like many other kids and manual lovers, I used to call people with auto trannies either pussies or non-car enthusiast. Simply put, I adopted to the changes over time and accepted scientific achievement. There no longer is point of manual transmission if you want to go fast. If you want to "enjoy" and crave more direct control, manual will satisfy you.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0