BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-22-2011, 02:01 AM   #67
Slappymangooze
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Coupé

And there we are, lost into the dct/manual argument, again...
      06-22-2011, 02:09 AM   #68
AZ865
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i DCT

[QUOTE=uhn2000;9867529]You mean to say the skill of steering.. I consider driving to include rev matching, shifting, hand-eye coordination, and all those other wonderful things. All in good respect here, I just had to call this out.

No, what I mean is what you call "driving" is now obsolete.
You don't "rev matching, shifting, hand-eye coordination" anymore.
Try to listen to the car’s engine rev, feel the suspension, understand the brakes and so on, basically today’s Bimmers are advanced intelligent vehicles that can think for themselves. As a driver you need to be ONE with your BM.
Your Old way was to tame the beast into submission are long gone.

BMW
ONE with YOU
      06-22-2011, 02:18 AM   #69
d3l0n
I love the ///M3, but I want 550hp ///M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW330iE90

Garage List
lol cool vid
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 02:30 AM   #70
RC3
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F10 528i

Garage List
2011 F10 528i  [10.00]
excellent video

2011 F10 528i Black Sapphire / Oyster Black
2000 E46 325ci Cabrio Titanium Silver / Black - retired
1997 E36/7 Z3 Montreal Blue / Black - retired
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 02:32 AM   #71
warzilla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, f31 330, f31 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradb View Post
I own a 5-speed E30 and a DCT E92 M3. I have absolutely no regrets buying the DCT. The thing is an insane beast at high speeds (albeit it's kinda dumb putting around town). I took my E92 on the Nurburgring, and it was the most fun I've ever had on the track.

I'm going to be critical of this "review." There was no review to be had. This wannabe reviewer (see countless idiots on youtube trying to make a name for themselves) had nothing to really say beyond A) DCT drivers are apparently idiots, B) the 1M is a 135i with some M3 parts. This, honestly, is a terrible review of the 1M.

Drive what you want because you enjoy it. Asshats like this guy will pull the O'l No True Scotsman fallacious argument all day long because it makes them feel better about their purchase. Yes, we bought M3's. Your manual doesn't make it a better buy. Sorry. Buh bye.
+1

Thought he was spending more time on pooh-poohing on the M3/DCT thru-out the "review" and not really talking as much about the 1M - it was supposed to be a 1M review after all, right?

2006 M3 ZHP in IB (Crashed) | 2005 M3 ZHP in IB (Sold)
2004 M3 in IR - Current
2018 330ix Wagon - Current
2017 328d Wagon - Current
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 02:45 AM   #72
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40e/e36 M3 Sedan

[QUOTE=AZ865;9868818]
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
You mean to say the skill of steering.. I consider driving to include rev matching, shifting, hand-eye coordination, and all those other wonderful things. All in good respect here, I just had to call this out.

No, what I mean is what you call "driving" is now obsolete.
You don't "rev matching, shifting, hand-eye coordination" anymore.
Try to listen to the car’s engine rev, feel the suspension, understand the brakes and so on, basically today’s Bimmers are advanced intelligent vehicles that can think for themselves. As a driver you need to be ONE with your BM.
Your Old way was to tame the beast into submission are long gone.

BMW
ONE with YOU
      06-22-2011, 02:47 AM   #73
gripenM
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M4 CS

entertaining...

both the vid and this thread
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 02:49 AM   #74
techthentic
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i, 370z

Quote:
Originally Posted by !mspinster View Post
If you drive auto or manual or flappy clutch or whatever, as long you have fun and the car puts a smile on your face that is what matters.

You might as well call all F1 drivers posers since they drive semi-automatic sequential transmission.

Lets call Rubens Barrichello a poser too for owning a E60 M5 while we're at it.

F1 drivers need to turn in THE fastest lap time possible, their livelihood depends on it. From a team standpoint, to win, to have your driver get the fastest lap time possible, you need to have the least amount of human error possible. That combined with the fact that on any given lap of a F1 course, the cars require hundreds of shifts, you get the fact that you NEED the semi-automatic sequential transmissions.

A M5 is a big car, if he had a M3 or a 911, etc, in auto; then hell yeah I'd call him a poseur
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 02:49 AM   #75
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Now if BMW puts that v8 in the 1M coupe, mated with a 6 speed, you will have something close to driving nirvanna
      06-22-2011, 02:50 AM   #76
techthentic
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Definitive View Post
Thank you for this.

Also please call anyone who owns a Ferrari Enzo, Challenge Stradale, 430 Scuderia, 458 Italia, NISSAN GT-R, McLaren MP4-12C and the Bugatti Veyron, a poser as well while your at it. All cars that dont even have a manual as an option...

Im sorry, but I like my POS that has an Automatic tranny, that can launch off the line way better than any of you MT guys could ever dream of doing. And its damn fun to do to!

I find that most people who say this type of shit, never even drove a DCT.

Now all you guys can go on bashing us M3 owners that opted for the upgraded racing transmission...

What takes more skill? Launching your pos with an auto, or launching whatever pos you have with a manual?

The cars you listed are in price ranges where the companies have deemed that the potential client base that CAN afford them, are in a age bracket that have decided to do away with operating a clutch; either they're too old, or they just want to drive relaxed. Majority of the owners of majority of the cars you listed buy them to show off, not to race or drive hard.

That and the between super/hyper cars is a fierce pissing contest on who can turn in the fastest lap times, ergo no manual. And to deliver on their claimed figures, they couldn't offer a manual, since who would have the balls to tell someone paying 6 figures for a car that they're not going as fast as advertised because they can't drive stick for shit.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 02:50 AM   #77
techthentic
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh View Post
Ok, so F1 drivers need faster shifting tranny, but M owners don't? You are the one missing the damn point. M owners are driving enthusiasts, wanting to squeeze every juice out of their vehicle. They need faster shifting trannies, just as much as F1 drivers do. What difference is there?

Just because you aren't "racing", don't mean you must have 4 spd auto from back in 80s. Perhaps, many M owners actually do go to track or drive more aggressively (statistical hypothesis, in comparison to non-M owners), so why not the DCT?

"Manual gives you more feel" is honestly getting old. Double clutch auto trannies shift faster, rev matches better than any human beings, and is proven to be faster at the track (road and track test using two different Porsche + plenty of other sources providing evidence to this statement). Performance oriented auto trannies are even getting close to manual's weight and fuel efficiency. You gotta cope with new technologies and adopt to new environments. Otherwise, you will remain as an Analog in Digital world.

Don't get me wrong, I was a hardcore manual enthusiasts, and just like many other kids and manual lovers, I used to call people with auto trannies either pussies or non-car enthusiast. Simply put, I adopted to the changes over time and accepted scientific achievement. There no longer is point of manual transmission if you want to go fast. If you want to "enjoy" and crave more direct control, manual will satisfy you.
You want to squeeze every ounce of performance? So are you racing professionally on your spare time?

There is no argument that automatics are faster than manuals.
But there is also no argument that manuals take more skill to drive than automatics.

If you are not racing professionally, then opt-ing for the option that makes things easier is being a poseur, period.

If you want to go fast, buy a muscle car.
If you want to DRIVE fast, buy a sports car with a stick.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 03:06 AM   #78
SDSmurf
Private
Rep
Drives: Subaru WRX

I don't care one way or the other. I'm a lazy bugger who wants a brilliant fast car to use every day so I'll take an e90M3 dct thanks. Hell, I'd probably take the 1M in dct if it was offered too. He thinks I'm a poser? Who cares? Not me.
I thought the 'review' was funny as hell and relatively well done - good entertainment.

People generally should really lighten up.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 04:09 AM   #79
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

~0.39 onwards.. Is it just me or does he say "WITHOUT the clutch pedal"???
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 04:15 AM   #80
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by techthentic View Post
If you are not racing professionally, then opt-ing for the option that makes things easier is being a poseur, period.
I wish I lived in your black and white world. You can easily use similar logic to argue the reverse: if you're not racing professionally, then opting for the option that makes things harder is being a poser.

The simple truth is that unless you're getting a track-only car, any real world application of all that performance is illegal anyway... So who really cares who buys what transmission type? in that sense, everyone with a M3 or 1M who doesn't intend to track it is a poser too. That makes 99% of M owners are all posers apparently.

Or... You can accept that people buy these cars for different reasons. Each transmission type has distinct advantages and disadvantages. And that regardless of usage, it's nice to have a good car... And leave it at that.

Quote:
Tell that to Lamboghini. The new Aventador super car is available only in automatic.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 05:19 AM   #81
SUBIMMER
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2004 cobb STI/ AW 1M comming s

Sequential crud

Bought a slightly used 2008 vw R32 a few years ago and i loved the transmission ( witch at the time was one of the slickest and quickest sequen. transmission available all makes confounded) ...... I liked it for about a day or two thats it!!!!!!! The car was great for long hauls but what i hate about autos is i you listen to really loud music you dont " feel"the car as much as in a manual. The back and forth sway of a manual is spot on engaging for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 05:21 AM   #82
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC View Post
~0.39 onwards.. Is it just me or does he say "WITHOUT the clutch pedal"???

I caught that too.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 05:24 AM   #83
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
I caught that too.
Four pages of discussion and obviously nobody watched the video closely enough. Instead people just decided to go on another tranny b*tching session.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 05:31 AM   #84
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC View Post
Four pages of discussion and obviously nobody watched the video closely enough. Instead people just decided to go on another tranny b*tching session.

Yeah, this thread turned lame pretty quick. I heard him say "without a clutch" and I was like "wait...what?!"

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 06:00 AM   #85
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Yeah well we all know what the guy meant...doesn't mean that he doesn't have a point. I personally don't plan on ever buying another automatic "car" again. And why isn't this guy doing Top Gear USA????
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 06:07 AM   #86
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Funny. Bagging DCT owners is kinda funny too.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 06:11 AM   #87
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by techthentic View Post
You want to squeeze every ounce of performance? So are you racing professionally on your spare time?

There is no argument that automatics are faster than manuals.
But there is also no argument that manuals take more skill to drive than automatics.

If you want to go fast, buy a muscle car.
You do realize everyone in this thread is counter-arguing your irrational statements, right?

You said,
1.if you aren't racing professionally, getting a DCT makes you a poser.
2.Muscle cars are the only option if you want to go fast.
3.If you want to drive fast, you gotta buy a manual.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 06:35 AM   #88
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

LOL... Nice vid. And LOL again about the M3 poser bashing.

It's so true. Like my cousin, who owns a M3 DCT individual, and drives 140 mph on the highway, loves to overtake Porsches, but doesn't want to take his car on a track day.

Ofcourse, not all M3 owners are posers. But there are.
Appreciate 0