BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-21-2018, 11:36 AM   #1
BoostedBarrett
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 CS

Road Coarse Track days with DCT with throttle question

I am about to start tracking my 135 Stage 2 with LSD at Thunderhill and other California tracks. I have lots of track time, but have never done a track day in a DCT or Dual Clutch car.

I was just wondering what other DCT drivers are doing on the track. I am assuming that everyone is using the DCT in fully Manual Sport mode? This turbo looses power on top end, so I was just curious.

What about my throttle mapping? I have a stage 2 MHD tune and currently have the stock progressive throttle with the "Shift down" on the throttle turned off. I was wondering if the linear throttle option might be better since the turbo comes on so hard it might be delicate to throttle out of a corner without traction issues.

Any input of what you guys suggest would be helpful.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 01:46 PM   #2
Thewind727
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 135i AT

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Just wanted to chime in and say yes to the linear throttle option i dont have dct but having the smooth throttle will benefit you as you learn throttle control exiting corners
08 135i AT / xHP stage 3 trans flash / vrsf 7.5 hd FMIC/ docrace single 6266 dbb precision turbo kit / TCKline s/a coilovers / RB external pcv kit / Active Autowerke ChargePipe / Wavtrac lsd / Whiteline subframe and Diff Full bushings / WedgeTuning full e85 custom tune 26psi / Blackmarketparts Port Injection Kit
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2018, 03:14 PM   #3
BimmerAg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

For track days I typically put the DCT in sport but not manual for my first couple laps as I try to learn and feel out the track. Once I'm comfortable, I'll pull a paddle to put it in manual and drive like that for the rest of the day.

One thing that I only discovered recently was that pressing the sport button speeds up and firms up the DCT shifts. Previously I didn't want to drive with it pressed on track because the throttle was too sensitive for my taste, but if you have traction control in DTC or fully off then the throttle map reverts back to normal (not sure how this would work with linear throttle though). Now I always press the sport button for track/autoX.
      03-30-2018, 08:56 PM   #4
beattiecj
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 2017 x5 35i 1988 e30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBarrett View Post
I am about to start tracking my 135 Stage 2 with LSD at Thunderhill and other California tracks. I have lots of track time, but have never done a track day in a DCT or Dual Clutch car.

I was just wondering what other DCT drivers are doing on the track. I am assuming that everyone is using the DCT in fully Manual Sport mode? This turbo looses power on top end, so I was just curious.

What about my throttle mapping? I have a stage 2 MHD tune and currently have the stock progressive throttle with the "Shift down" on the throttle turned off. I was wondering if the linear throttle option might be better since the turbo comes on so hard it might be delicate to throttle out of a corner without traction issues.

Any input of what you guys suggest would be helpful.
I'm tempted now to get mhd just for the throttle shift down turned off... I use the burger tuning downshift blocker on the back of the gas pedal.... works fine.

On track I use sport w/full manual mode on the dct with dtc fully off, I also have the electronic nannies coded off makes a pretty big difference.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 09:45 PM   #5
Sancs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i 2012

On track i use the sport button with full manual and DTC completely off
      06-05-2018, 12:48 PM   #6
TJ135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancs View Post
On track i use the sport button with full manual and DTC completely off
Same here the sport mode changes the gears faster and harder, I wish there was a tune to make the shifts faster and more aggressive for our transmissions.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 04:50 PM   #7
R0CKET
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i N55

doing thunderhill west in august 26, see ya there!
Appreciate 0