BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-23-2017, 09:31 PM   #23
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I think it looks nice, just wish I could convince myself there is some performance benefit.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 12:39 AM   #24
csween86
DSC OFF
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, N55, 6MT, MPK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
I think it looks nice, just wish I could convince myself there is some performance benefit.
It looks nice, and sounds even better... I trust it gives gains, but they are too small to notice during daily driving (bought it for sound anyway)... Look on eBay. I found a guy selling his new & unopened for $196, free shipping, no tax. Not a crazy savings, but about $20 for me compared to the BMS site, and so easy/quick to install.

Driving hard in the city at lower speeds you can really hear the air gushing in and the whistle of the turbo as it spools up, and the release off pressure when you let off the gas sounds so nice! On the highway it's really not obnoxious, but the whistle is more noticeable, and I like that considering I rarely ever heard my turbo during highway driving before installing this intake. I purposely accelerate hard real quick for no reason and suddenly let off the gas just to hear it.

I'm glad I bought the BMS Intake. It's worth it for the sound alone. Every video I ever watched online, I couldn't really tell a big difference in the sound, but I trusted people's reviews/comments, and they weren't lying... In person, while driving hard (especially in the city w/ the windows down), it sounds amazing... That is of course if you truly love the sound of a turbo.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 07:01 AM   #25
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Just have to comment on this thread.

Uh, N55 and BOV? It does not have one?!?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 08:57 AM   #26
Dylanize
Captain Dutch Rudder
Rep
Drives: AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Just have to comment on this thread.

Uh, N55 and BOV? It does not have one?!?
It has a diverter valve, does the same thing basically, the difference is it dumps back into the air system and "recycles" the air.

With this intake you can hear the diverter valve "blowing off" much more as it is an exposed filter element.
      05-24-2017, 05:30 PM   #27
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by csween86 View Post
It looks nice, and sounds even better... I trust it gives gains, but they are too small to notice during daily driving (bought it for sound anyway)... Look on eBay. I found a guy selling his new & unopened for $196, free shipping, no tax. Not a crazy savings, but about $20 for me compared to the BMS site, and so easy/quick to install.

Driving hard in the city at lower speeds you can really hear the air gushing in and the whistle of the turbo as it spools up, and the release off pressure when you let off the gas sounds so nice! On the highway it's really not obnoxious, but the whistle is more noticeable, and I like that considering I rarely ever heard my turbo during highway driving before installing this intake. I purposely accelerate hard real quick for no reason and suddenly let off the gas just to hear it.

I'm glad I bought the BMS Intake. It's worth it for the sound alone. Every video I ever watched online, I couldn't really tell a big difference in the sound, but I trusted people's reviews/comments, and they weren't lying... In person, while driving hard (especially in the city w/ the windows down), it sounds amazing... That is of course if you truly love the sound of a turbo.
Most guys buy the intakes for sound on these platforms. Although they do help when coupled with tune and other modifications.

If you really want performance you can feel, consider a tune, it's night and day. You'll also hear even more out of the intake with the extra boost from the tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 05:42 PM   #28
csween86
DSC OFF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Quote:

Most guys buy the intakes for sound on these platforms. Although they do help when coupled with tune and other modifications.

If you really want performance you can feel, consider a tune, it's night and day. You'll also hear even more out of the intake with the extra boost from the tune.
I don't know if this was for me, or just to add to what I said to the other guy... I do have a tune though and I can attest that running stage 1 mhd over stock, the sound is even louder.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 06:18 PM   #29
MisterNickG
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Quote:
Exactly! Glad I'm not the only one.
I actually installed my Cobb Charge Pipe today and after taking off the bottom portion of the intake box, I screwed the mounting thing all the way in and installed it all together so it's all snug now. Problem solved.

Last edited by MisterNickG; 05-25-2017 at 01:37 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2017, 05:44 PM   #30
anglocanadian
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M Sport Edition

I fitted the BMS to my stock 2013 n55 and within 15mins the engine light came on , so it is now sitting in the basement
I didn't really notice any "awesome" sound just the occasional dentist drill noise .
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 06:57 PM   #31
MisterNickG
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglocanadian View Post
I fitted the BMS to my stock 2013 n55 and within 15mins the engine light came on , so it is now sitting in the basement
I didn't really notice any "awesome" sound just the occasional dentist drill noise .
Hmmm, I didn't have any engine light when I installed mine when my car was stock
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 07:00 PM   #32
shawnyeeah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 N55 135i

N55 sounds great but I'm not sure about power gains for it. No check engine lights or issues to speak of.

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 08:25 PM   #33
weeeee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
I had issues the first few times I installed it, including misfires on hard pulls. The third time, I reset the Intake mass flow adapation with MHD. Haven't had issues since then.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 06:36 PM   #34
csween86
DSC OFF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Did you let the car sit for 10-15 minutes after popping the hood? You're supposed to do this to allow the ecu to go into sleep mode. If you don't and unplug the MAF sensor it will trip it up.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 08:04 AM   #35
anglocanadian
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M Sport Edition

Quote:
Did you let the car sit for 10-15 minutes after popping the hood? You're supposed to do this to allow the ecu to go into sleep mode. If you don't and unplug the MAF sensor it will trip it up.
No i didn't , but the the light only came on after 15 mins of driving which makes me think it took time to sense the extra air flow.
My car is a 2013 so dont have the MHD option yet.

Last edited by anglocanadian; 05-28-2017 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: more info
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 12:45 PM   #36
csween86
DSC OFF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
No i didn't , but the the light only came on after 15 mins of driving which makes me think it took time to sense the extra air flow.
My car is a 2013 so dont have the MHD option yet.
If you can find some way to read and reset codes, I'd try to reset that and drive lightly and see if it comes back on. I bet that's your problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 03:25 AM   #37
csween86
DSC OFF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I am actually getting these codes now. I run MHD stage 1 and have the BMS intake. Everything else is stock. I'm wondering if it's my MAF sensor... Car seems to be running fine and sounds normal. I read running JB4 these are normal tuner codes to be ignored, but not sure to be the same when running MHD. Any ideas?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 11:33 AM   #38
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 10:49 PM   #39
mantas1992
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 135is

Hey guys. BMS offers *Upgraded E Chassis N55 BMW Intake Coupler* for tuned bmw's. I recently bought intake and I am wondering if I need that coupler because I am planning to tune it. Any experience ?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 07:31 AM   #40
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantas1992 View Post
Hey guys. BMS offers *Upgraded E Chassis N55 BMW Intake Coupler* for tuned bmw's. I recently bought intake and I am wondering if I need that coupler because I am planning to tune it. Any experience ?
The most benefit with the couple is for people with PS2 or bigger turbos. The stock intake couple tends to collapse and cause a choke in air intake.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 06:25 PM   #41
1smokehouse
Second Lieutenant
Guam
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LE

Garage List
Just wanted to highlight a possible issue with this intake and throttle lag with the a/c on for cars with DCT. When reading about possible causes, it seems that the BMS intake is a common mod with the lag. My issues with the lag started after I installed the intake...
      09-22-2018, 02:36 PM   #42
pushbutton
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

Quote:
I am actually getting these codes now. I run MHD stage 1 and have the BMS intake. Everything else is stock. I'm wondering if it's my MAF sensor... Car seems to be running fine and sounds normal. I read running JB4 these are normal tuner codes to be ignored, but not sure to be the same when running MHD. Any ideas?
I'm also getting those codes with BMS intake and MHD stage 2+. Never popped up on stock tune with BMS intake though only started happening with MHD...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 06:10 PM   #43
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushbutton View Post
I'm also getting those codes with BMS intake and MHD stage 2+. Never popped up on stock tune with BMS intake though only started happening with MHD...
Many cheerleaders have hyped up this intake for a while to realize that the intake causes issues/weird throttle response and random codes. Yeah it used to work good before BMS sold out to emissions and took off the JB4 auto clear which hid the mess of codes from you that the piggyback causes.
2021 M2 Competition DCT Hockenheim Silver
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 08:30 PM   #44
csween86
DSC OFF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushbutton View Post
Quote:
I actually contacted Justin over a year ago at Twisted Tuning, sent him some logs, and he sent me a custom tune file that got rid of these codes. The car runs great, and still hasn't gotten these codes back over a year later... I don't know if it was the intake or MHD tune that was causing them, the codes never showed up running stage 0 with the intake, but did when I would run stage 1 with the intake... I think the tune plus the intake caused the car to think something was wrong.... Anyway, try contacting him, nice guy, he usually responds quickly.
Appreciate 0