BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #23
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I like the comment on the ER pipe and Forge DV. Im looking at the same combo myself. Will this combo work with the stock intake?

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 03:52 AM   #24
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

Yep, will work with the stock intake with stock/Forge DVs as well as all the BOV options we're now offering (TIAL, HKS, Synapse). Also will work with some of the more intricate aftermarket intakes like the Injen and even the STETT cold air one (this was the craziest to get to work) so you're good for the future if you decide to get an intake as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
I like the comment on the ER pipe and Forge DV. Im looking at the same combo myself. Will this combo work with the stock intake?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 06:32 AM   #25
Smac355
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

best place to pick up the Forge DDV's im going to be doing the ER FMIC/charpipe combo this summer
Black Sapphire Metallic 135i/Coral Leather Interior/ Gloss Black Grills/20% tint/M door sills/Black 135i badge, smoked LED side marker, Dinan stage II , DINAN Exhaust, performance side skirts, performance shift boot/e-brake, pedals, carbon fiber wrapped interior
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 06:55 AM   #26
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution Racewerks View Post
Not exactly sure what your question is. Why did we choose the TIAL Q BOV over the regular TIAL 50mm BOV? If that's the question, then it's because the TIAL Q is advertised to release more pressure than the regular 50mm BOV. This means it can support whatever craziness you decide to do in the future. It's also the newest version, why would you want to old one? One of the thing that I really hated back when I was a consumer was having to buy the same part over again. We try to avoid that here at ER. This is why you don't ever see a version 1, 2 or 3 with our stuff. Our version 1, 2 or 3 +++ are kept in house and on the shelves collecting dust, not on your cars.

As for sound, sounds the same in my opinion though the Q might be a tad bit quieter.
yup that exactly what i was asking, makes sense, thanks!

one last question, i swear What spring does the tial q bov come with? and whats the best spring to use w/ the N54

PS only asking here rather than thru PMs since others may have similar questions
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 05:45 AM   #27
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

The TIAL Q BOV is available in the following springs:

-6 PSI
-8 PSI
-10 PSI
-11 PSI
-12 PSI

However, do not misunderstand what that means. That rating does not mean how much PSI your car is running. That is the spring rating, meaning how much PSI it takes for that spring to compress. The valve is also held shut by a pressure source (in this case the line coming from the intake manifold) and that is why you do not pick the spring rate with the PSI you're running. The common misconception is a stiffer spring is better which is wrong. You want the spring to be strong enough to hold your max boost pressure but soft enough to vent boost without a lot of resistance. Having too much resistance (too stiff a spring) will cause the valve to flutter, causing boost surge. What that does is the pressure that is needs to be vented is not, that pressure is built up back into the piping to the turbo. That pressure when it hits the compressor wheel on the turbo actually causes the wheel to slow down considerably which causes wear on the turbo bearings. Not to mention, slowing down the compressor wheel means it needs to spin back up to speed which will take time. This means lag. For those that may have had a problem with the TIAL BOV, it's cause they picked the wrong spring rates. It's good to have all the springs available in house to test.

For the N54 application, I actually tested some of the springs though not all as it became quite clear which was ideal. It's one of the lower spring rates . All the TIAL BOVs we ship for the N54 all come with the same spring as everyone is running around the same boost levels so you'll get the right spring from us .

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
yup that exactly what i was asking, makes sense, thanks!

one last question, i swear What spring does the tial q bov come with? and whats the best spring to use w/ the N54

PS only asking here rather than thru PMs since others may have similar questions
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 12:18 AM   #28
Novator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 E46 M3

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [8.00]
Is the end of which the sound generator (the part furthest away from the charge pipe) connects to supposed to be sealed or can it be left exposed once the sound generator is removed?
Attached Images

03-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #29
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Aftermarket chargepipes typically do not have an attachment for the resonator so it's removed. It snaps right out. If you left it in the car unattached it would not need to be capped off.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #30
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'

Nice! I can't wait more mine to get here. I will be using the synapse BOV though.
      03-20-2011, 12:55 AM   #31
Novator
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [8.00]
Same here, ordered mine with the Synapse as well. Can't wait to see it sitting in the mail
      03-20-2011, 02:37 AM   #32
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHOOPS2 View Post
Nice! I can't wait more mine to get here. I will be using the synapse BOV though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novator View Post
Same here, ordered mine with the Synapse as well. Can't wait to see it sitting in the mail
Did you guys order the long version of the ER Charge Pipe which incorporates the meth elbow? I believe it's the only option for May 2009+ cars as BMW changed the design.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #33
Novator
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [8.00]
I ordered the pre 2009 charge pipe, since though my car is an '09 it was built mid-September 2008. I also went with the two meth bungs, though I don't have any plans to run meth at this time, but I love that they are there for when that day comes.
      03-22-2011, 07:57 AM   #34
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I ordered the pre 2009 charge pipe, since though my car is an '09 it was built mid-September 2008. I also went with the two meth bungs, though I don't have any plans to run meth at this time, but I love that they are there for when that day comes.
Any particular reason why you ordered the pre 2009 version? I just thought the 'long' version would be one less place for potential leak to occur and this would be the best place to have the meth bungs placed too. I'm leaning towards the long version even though I can use the old one.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 04:48 PM   #35
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
got my tracking number today, arrives thursday!
      03-22-2011, 09:44 PM   #36
Novator
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [8.00]
I'll be honest, I have never seen the late 2009-2010 version of the chargepipe and since I still am on stock intercooler, I really don't know if it would work the same or fit. If it does, then maybe I will be able to sell my soon to be current one in the near future for the longer version. I honestly don't think I should have to worry about leaking though, if everything is done right there should be no leaking. Mine too will hopefully arrive this Thursday, but with work and duty this weekend (got to love the military), Mineo will most likely beat me to the install. Still will post my amateur vid and review when all is said and done, but will most likely post here to just add to the list of reviews.
      03-23-2011, 12:44 AM   #37
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I'll be honest, I have never seen the late 2009-2010 version of the chargepipe and since I still am on stock intercooler, I really don't know if it would work the same or fit. If it does, then maybe I will be able to sell my soon to be current one in the near future for the longer version. I honestly don't think I should have to worry about leaking though, if everything is done right there should be no leaking. Mine too will hopefully arrive this Thursday, but with work and duty this weekend (got to love the military), Mineo will most likely beat me to the install. Still will post my amateur vid and review when all is said and done, but will most likely post here to just add to the list of reviews.
It took a lot of effort to get that photo. If you have a May 09+ car then it's the only option because the elbow is incorporated into the charge pipe. However, the earlier versions of the May 09+ were actually 2 separate pieces and they were held in by clamps. I'm leaning towards this new version because I want meth bungs and I've been told the best place is in the elbow for atomisation and heat absorption rather than in the charge pipe itself because it's too close to the throttle body. I could get the normal ER CP with the AR elbow or Coolingmist eblow but this design looks a lot cleaner and because I'm getting it anodized it should be very stealth. I also think replacing the stock elbow is just replacing another weak point in the car where a leak might occur. I have no plans to run meth at this point but I'm getting 2 bungs in the elbow anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 02:38 AM   #38
Novator
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [8.00]
Good point, wish I knew about that elbow in advance should've searched and asked more questions, but couldn't wait anymore, oh well.
      03-23-2011, 03:07 AM   #39
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Good point, wish I knew about that elbow in advance should've searched and asked more questions, but couldn't wait anymore, oh well.
I'm sure we're just splitting hairs here and both CP's will function exactly the same way once installed. I have come to realise that the meth bung placement is a moot point anyway. Make sure you post pics when you get yours installed
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 08:12 AM   #40
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep

I installed my ER CP and Synapse BOV last night that I bought from Mike @ N54tuning..I will try to get some good HD video up ASAP. My thoughts...Awesome! I love this thing. Fit and finish was OE like, and I could not be more happy with the Synapse BOV. It is a really nice looking and functioning design, and sounds amazing as well! It is a nice deep wooosh!!

-Jeff
      03-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #41
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep

I just noticed that on a set of Synapse BOV install instructions I found where they said that if you are running over 7psi that you will need to hook up a vac line to the boosted side of the intake, such as behind the intercooler. Everything seems to work great, and boost seems steady and good. Does anyone know anything about this?
      04-01-2011, 03:09 AM   #42
Novator
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [8.00]
Install took longer than expected, but I was super cautious since I've never tried to remove the airbox before. The hardest part honestly more than anything was breaking the intercooler to chargepipe clamp. For my car the slot needed to be broken off was completely under the car facing the ground and head to remove the original charge pipe and elbow to find it and remove it. What a PITA for BMW to do that for that one piece. If there are others I will replace those in the future. The clamps provided by ER are top notch and the fit and finish of my anodized pipe and the Synapse BOV are awesome. Loving the whoosh sound, but for the most part it is quiet and doesn't attract too much attention which is how I like it. Can't wait until I can afford a meth injection setup and put those bungs to work. Thanks to Fred Su at ER for making such an awesome product, my friend Kenny for providing the extra hand and my patient wife who deals with her crazy husband.
      04-01-2011, 11:01 AM   #43
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
I've got their whole kit (Charge pipe; intercooler and CF shroud) all great quality stuff
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #44
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Install took longer than expected, but I was super cautious since I've never tried to remove the airbox before. The hardest part honestly more than anything was breaking the intercooler to chargepipe clamp. For my car the slot needed to be broken off was completely under the car facing the ground and head to remove the original charge pipe and elbow to find it and remove it. What a PITA for BMW to do that for that one piece. If there are others I will replace those in the future. The clamps provided by ER are top notch and the fit and finish of my anodized pipe and the Synapse BOV are awesome. Loving the whoosh sound, but for the most part it is quiet and doesn't attract too much attention which is how I like it. Can't wait until I can afford a meth injection setup and put those bungs to work. Thanks to Fred Su at ER for making such an awesome product, my friend Kenny for providing the extra hand and my patient wife who deals with her crazy husband.
LOL, I did my install during a power outage with only a small flashlight and headband-LED light. Took about an hour.