BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-11-2020, 04:53 PM   #23
AUDELA
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i N53 3.0L (E93) 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post

BMWs (and many cars) have a weakness in the 1st-to-2nd gear synchronizer as it is generally quite a jump in ratios between those gears and that's the gear-change that gets used the most. Missing that shift and crashing the gears and synchros can cause a difficult shift after enough abuse. CDV bypass won't change this problem. You might try matching the revs properly on downshifts into 2nd. And most drivers don't really go into 1st unless they're stopped. You might also try, at a stop, going into 2nd before going into 1st.

But before I'd worry about that, I'd have the transmission fluid changed to what a good BMW shop recommends in your area. Here in the USA that's usually Redline MTL or ATF.
Thanks - that all makes sense. I rarely go into 1st as well. And only really downshift to take corners / turns.

Sounds like a change of the transmission fluid might be first good thing to try. The car has nearly 98K miles and probably hasn't been done. Otherwise it drives incredibly well given its age!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 04:56 PM   #24
AUDELA
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
That is a synco/fluid issue. When was the last time the fluid was changed.
Thanks MightyMouseTech.

I purchased the car recently and it has done nearly 98K miles. Unfortunately I don't have much in terms of service records (apart from what's stamped in the book) so it's very likely the fluid could use changing. I'll give that a go!

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2020, 04:17 PM   #25
AUDELA
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Speaking of transmission fluid change. Any recommendations between OEM / Redline or Royal Purple? I've read a lot of threads and there doesn't seem to be much consensus. Some people swear by Redline MTL, others ATF-D4, others Synchromax. And then there are people who think the OEM is still best.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 12:00 PM   #26
MN.BIMMER
No Cop No Stop
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDELA View Post
Speaking of transmission fluid change. Any recommendations between OEM / Redline or Royal Purple? I've read a lot of threads and there doesn't seem to be much consensus. Some people swear by Redline MTL, others ATF-D4, others Synchromax. And then there are people who think the OEM is still best.
Personally I'm using Redline MT-LV. Seems to have been making shifts smoother in the colder climate vs the OEM fluid that I flushed out. Then again, that fluid was old, so maybe fresh OEM fluid would work well too.
AUDELA1.50